Triking a 2004 Harley Ultra classic with 88CI engine

Mr. John, I saw your post yesterday, and it appears that you have made your decision, but thought I would put my 2 cents in. I had my 2003 Ultra Classic converted by Motortrike just over a year ago. It was not cheap, about $15,000 with the EZ steer, mechanical reverse, and rear bumper, but a bike that was worth $10,000 - $12,000 is now valued around $25,000. You can verify that by checking prices of converted Ultra Classics advertised on the Internet. I cannot say if a stock 88 will have the power you need because a few years back I had S&S 510 gear drive cams (mainly for reliability by getting the chain drive system out of there) and a Power Commander module installed. I considered the fact that this Harley was over 10 years old, but most of the research I have done shows that the early Twin Cams had a few problems which are well known, and can be addressed, while more current models have had much more trouble as can be seen by reports of recent Harley warranty work. A couple weeks ago I took the trike into the shop to have some minor things checked. Returning to the house I had no trouble staying with the traffic which was running between 70 and 80 mph, although several times, when it slowed well below 70, I had to down shift. The S&S 510 cams perform better when the RPMs stay above 2500, and lugging any engine is not good for it.

Greezy

Mr. John, I saw your post yesterday, and it appears that you have made your decision, but thought I would put my 2 cents in. I had my 2003 Ultra Classic converted by Motortrike just over a year ago. It was not cheap, about $15,000 with the EZ steer, mechanical reverse, and rear bumper, but a bike that was worth $10,000 - $12,000 is now valued around $25,000. You can verify that by checking prices of converted Ultra Classics advertised on the Internet. I cannot say if a stock 88 will have the power you need because a few years back I had S&S 510 gear drive cams (mainly for reliability by getting the chain drive system out of there) and a Power Commander module installed. I considered the fact that this Harley was over 10 years old, but most of the research I have done shows that the early Twin Cams had a few problems which are well known, and can be addressed, while more current models have had much more trouble as can be seen by reports of recent Harley warranty work. A couple weeks ago I took the trike into the shop to have some minor things checked. Returning to the house I had no trouble staying with the traffic which was running between 70 and 80 mph, although several times, when it slowed well below 70, I had to down shift. The S&S 510 cams perform better when the RPMs stay above 2500, and lugging any engine is not good for it.

Greezy

Greezy

I thank you for your information. I hate to say it but I decided to sell my Harley as I don't feel comfortable triking it unless I upgraded the engine which I didn't want to do. I now have made a deal on a 2014 Honda
goldwing level 2 for I think at a great price and intend now on triking it. I am picking it up on Monday.

Mrjohn

Mr John,
Sorry your selling your 04, I just saw this thread. I have a 04 Standard no mods and I have had no problems since getting a trike kit. Getting up to speed is not a problem, I ride the interstate alot will run at 80 mph all day long with no problems. Don't sell the 88ci short, the torque makes it all good.
20140508_172047.jpg

Mr John,
Sorry your selling your 04, I just saw this thread. I have a 04 Standard no mods and I have had no problems since getting a trike kit. Getting up to speed is not a problem, I ride the interstate alot will run at 80 mph all day long with no problems. Don't sell the 88ci short, the torque makes it all good.
View attachment 33985
Walt, I see what you mean, but your trike looks like it doesn't have the weight mine will have. I would loose the saddle bags and the trike kit would add approx 300 lbs to the bike. Your kit from what I can see looks like it's a lot lighter.