Trailer hitch

Just a suggestion to consider. You do place your warranty in jeopardy by adding a trailer hitch! Be prepared to make it disappear, if you have a drive train failure, before going to the dealer!
I do not know of any warranty claim denials on Harley's but I do on Wings!

I just put a hitch from Open Road Outfitters ( http://www.openroadoutfitters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69_130&products_id=388 ) on my 2015 Tri Glide. The cost was $289.00 and it bolted right up. The design will hold the hitch in place with one of the loosened clamps while you tighten up the remaining mounts. The web sit also has an installation video that shows each of the steps involved.
BTW, The Küryakyn hitch did not fit the 2015! The part of the hitch that is supposed to slide over the rear frame member and hold the thing in place did not fit. I could have made it work by getting out the grinder and a bigger hammer, but I decided to go the easy way and return it.
The wiring harnesses sold by Open Road Outfitters fit right up also. Just make sure you know whether you want a 4 or 5 wire trailer connection. In 2014, Harley changed to a can-bus type wiring harness. You will need a harness made for the 2014-2015 baggers.
R/
Scott

I also have the Rivco hitch that I had mounted on the '12 and now on my '14. Have never hooked up the wiring harness as I only use it for a flag mount.

I may get the wiring harness for the '14 and get a trailer to tow behind.

Just ordered my hitch from open road outfitters. now just have to figure out what harness I need. My trailer has a flat 4 pin connector, but it has 5 wires going to it.

What brand of trailer is it and can you post a picture of your flat 4 plug? The only flat 4 plugs I've seen with 5 wires had a double (white) ground going to them.

Ok, I'm not familiar with Diamond trailers so lets try this. Does your Trailer Plug look like this? A Flat 4 will have 3 female ports and 1 male plug (that's as close as I can describe it :)) but it can have 2 wires going to 1 of the positions on the plug, most often the white (ground) or brown (running lights).

flat4.jpg

Yep it looks just like that one.

Then you need the 4 wire kit for you bike. I'm using components from this co. http://electricalconnection.com/index.php?route=common/home.

I suggest that you call them and tell them what you are trying to do and let them tell you which of their components you will need. IF you are not accostumed to doing this type of work you might want to find a shop to do it for you. The Canbus system will not like anything other than an isolated trailer wiring package, you can't just go cutting and splicing as you might have in the past.

BTW - the components from this company are the same ones you would get from MC Hitch and Open Road Outfitters.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back