TPMS light stays on

bg04254

1+ Posts
Mar 15, 2013
South NJ USA
I recently purchased a new 2024 Goldwing Tour DCT with a Roadsmith conversion. After getting it home I realized the TPMS light remained on at all times. I contacted the installer and was told this is normal expected behavior since the original rear wheel no longer exists.

I also reached out to Roadsmith with the same question but they have so far not responded to my inquires.

Is this really normal ? Shouldn't there be a way to connect the rear wheels to the TPMS system on the 2024 GW ?

Follow-up, I just realized there are lots of other posts on the same subject and so far there is no solution from Roadsmith. I saw that CSC had a similar issue and repaired it via recall.

Really a shame, allot of $$ for the conversion and to be told to just ignore the warning light seems sad.

I am one of the guys that began to post this issue about my 2021 Harley Ultra. My bike has a CSC conversion.

I was able to successfully have the dealer add TPMS to my rear wheels and they show up on my TPMS. I shared what was done with CSC. So, I know it works on Harleys -not sure about Wings.

I recently purchased a new 2024 Goldwing Tour DCT with a Roadsmith conversion. After getting it home I realized the TPMS light remained on at all times. I contacted the installer and was told this is normal expected behavior since the original rear wheel no longer exists.

I also reached out to Roadsmith with the same question but they have so far not responded to my inquires.
Is this really normal ? Shouldn't there be a way to connect the rear wheels to the TPMS system on the 2024 GW ?
Good morning - thanks for your inquiry regarding TPMS on your 2024 DCT. There is a procedure in our installation instructions that details how to turn off the light. We do not have a method to connect the rear wheels into the TPMS system as the bike's original system is designed for two inputs (front/rear). Please contact your installer regarding this post, or feel free to call us at 800-331-0705.

Thanks for replying Roadsmith. I just downloaded the instructions and do see where this is covered, however my installer responded to me with:

"The TPMS light will stay on because the rear wheel was removed. "

Since my installer is over 900 miles away (I live in NJ and my installer is in AL) it would not make sense to make the trip just for this. Is this something that a closer authorized installer can cover under warranty ?

Bg02454 - this is how I started - and these guidelines helped me get to the right place.

OK, where is your original rear tire? If in your garage, this is what I want you to do. Simply place the rear tire near your trike. Start the trike and see if it reads both the front tire and the old rear tire TPMS.

If it does read the old tire, all you should have to do is install a tpms sensor in one of the rear tires.

First things first - see if the bike still reads the old tire.

That's a great idea but unfortunately I do not have any of the old parts. I purchased the trike already built and never thought of asking for the removed parts nor figured I would have a use for them.

What bugs me the most is that Roadsmith clearly states how to "cloak" the TPMS in their build instructions, which obviously was not followed by the installer. Although just hiding the monitor doesn't seem like much of a solution.

In the end, I am not against checking the pressure of my rear tires manually, been doing that forever on every other bike I've had.

But the constant TPMS warning light being on is a reminder of an unfinished job. Although in a way, had the installer followed the directions and cloaked the warning light, I would have a false sense of security, thinking it was safe not to regularly check my tires before each ride.

If I ever make it back to Alabama, I will certainly make sure to stop by the installer and have them fix this.

OK, I fully understand where you are coming from. My trike was done from a 2021 Ultra. I kept all of the parts that were taken off. I was able to see everything that was removed - and made several thousand dollars. A Harley rear wheel and tire, for example, was worth its weight in gold.

So, given where you stand, he is my suggestion. Determine which TPMS sensor is used in your Wing. Have one installed in one of your rear tires.

Notice I only said one. I did that because, unlike Harley, I don't believe the Wing system is set up to handle 3 sensors. Remember, Harley builds a TriGlide, so, they already have a 3 sensor TPMS system in their BCM.

Once you have that installed, have your dealer (or Indy) program the system to read say 27 lbs in the rear - whatever you want to run. When done, your light will go out and you can monitor the pressure in your front and one of the rears.

One more thought - how far are you from Harrington, DE? Roadsmith has an installer there - since this is a new trike, maybe RS will accommodate this for you.

Or, maybe this installer knows how to install a sensor in one of your rear tires?

You read my mind, I saw the dealer in Harrington, DE on the Roadsmith site and was going to call them and see if they can assist. That and I will have to call Roadsmith and ask if they can make this a warranty repair.

Funny, I actually sold my 2013 Triglide which I bought new and put allot of wonderful miles on, to buy this GW. It was getting long in the tooth (like me) and was time for an upgrade. I really wanted the automatic (arthritis in the hands) and comfort of the IRS. The wife and I ride together everywhere and the constant impacts were getting to both of us. Anyway, I never had TPMS on any of my bikes so this was an added goodie.

So far I have not had the chance to put allot of miles on the GW due to poor weather and pesky work. However I took off next week and we're going up the Americade where I hope to really put this new bike through it's paces and decide whether I made the right decision.

We rented a cabin in Lake Luzerne (about 20 mins away from Lake George). Yes, would be cool to meet up. I'll send over my cell # separately.

Very sharp looking bike btw !

That's a great idea but unfortunately I do not have any of the old parts. I purchased the trike already built and never thought of asking for the removed parts nor figured I would have a use for them.

What bugs me the most is that Roadsmith clearly states how to "cloak" the TPMS in their build instructions, which obviously was not followed by the installer. Although just hiding the monitor doesn't seem like much of a solution.

In the end, I am not against checking the pressure of my rear tires manually, been doing that forever on every other bike I've had.

But the constant TPMS warning light being on is a reminder of an unfinished job. Although in a way, had the installer followed the directions and cloaked the warning light, I would have a false sense of security, thinking it was safe not to regularly check my tires before each ride.

If I ever make it back to Alabama, I will certainly make sure to stop by the installer and have them fix this.

I also purchased a new 2023 from the Roadsmith installer in Alabama. They verbally told me it was a Roadsmith problem. That the light would go off later after being driven for some time.

I called Roadsmith later about something else and asked them about the light staying on. There reply. You purchased your trike in Alabama. They save 2 hours of build time not addressing it. I wish I had known about keeping one sensor. Replacing a sensor is expensive. I HATE looking at the light riding an $50,000+ trike.

I purchased a FOBO tire sensor monitor. Works better than Honda system. Just can't turn off that darn light. The FOBO sensor is MUCH better since you can monitor each tire before you jump on the trike.

I also purchased a new 2023 from the installer in Alabama. They verbally told me it was a Roadsmith problem. That the light would go off later after being driven for some time.

I called Roadsmith later about something else and asked them about the light staying on. There reply. You purchased your trike in Al. They save 2 hours of build time not addressing it. I wish I had known about keeping one sensor. Replacing a sensor is expensive. I HATE looking at the light riding an $50,000+ trike.
In my opinion, what an awful response from RoadSmith - and shame on the installer.

There has been some conversation here about an installer in Alabama - maybe this is the same guy. If so, perhaps RoadSmith will jump in and take their franchise away.

A sensor should not be that expensive - I think mine we like $72 bucks.

All of the conversions seem to have this problem. The TPMS sensor for my Harley would not fit the wheels supplied by MotorTrike. What I did was get a 48 inch zip tie and a 4 inch zip tie. I put the 48 inch zip tie around the inside of the wheel hub and attached the TPMS sensor to that with the 4 inch zip tie. Problem solved. The bike now sees the TPMS sensor(s) and everything is as it should be. I tried to pass this information on to MotorTrike, but they weren't interested.

Looks like another way to skin that cat.

What year is your bike. Interesting that MotorTrike was not interested. I shared what I did with CSC and I have heard that they are passing this along.

I was wondering on these newer Goldwings, if technicians use a scanner similar to those used on cars, if they can shut that feature off so that the light is extinguished since it is now a trike. :unsure:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddienorman
Back