Wise me up... Light's

1998 GL1500 with RoadSmith trike kit... The lower (fog/running) lights are constantly on...High beam or low beam, doesn't mater, always on....Seems unnecessary alternator drain having 3 lights burning constantly. Am I missing something?? Is there no provision to have on/off only when needed???

I got my first trike when I was 3 years old, and now at 83 I back on a trike again. Just got it 2 days ago and will no doubt, need some future advice.

1998 GL1500 with RoadSmith trike kit... The lower (fog/running) lights are constantly on...High beam or low beam, doesn't mater, always on....Seems unnecessary alternator drain having 3 lights burning constantly. Am I missing something?? Is there no provision to have on/off only when needed???

I got my first trike when I was 3 years old, and now at 83 I back on a trike again. Just got it 2 days ago and will no doubt, need some future advice.

I don't think it'll hurt any, Besides some people pay extra for that feature..:laugh:

There's probably a switch some where to turn them off. However, several guys in our club leave their on full time because it gives the trike a unique light signature that catches people's attention. When I'm leading a ride I can spot those guys with the fog lights very quickly.

If it were mine I would leave them on.

Don't have a trike but do have fog lights or passing lights or flood lights, heard them called all three, but I leave mine on even though there is a switch to turn them on/off. I get fewer people pulling out in front of me. I've tested it several times before deciding they really do help in that regard. The heck with the electrical drain. If working correctly they are not a problem. Bad battery or voltage regulator or stator if they do cause an issue. So those items would need fixed anyway.:):):)

I ride with my HIGH BEAMS on all the time (day time only) and my bottom lights on all the time also....Never any battery problems... and wear a very HI Viz jacket and helmet... The more on coming cars see me the better........

Ronnie

I think those lights are on all the time. I had a 2000 SE with a CSC conversion . My lights were on on all the time unlike the GL1800 which has a switch. My 1989 GL1500 has the lower lights but they are cornering lights that only come on when using the turn signals.

Install a Comp-u-Fire Alternator and never worry about electrical drain again!

1998 GL1500 with RoadSmith trike kit... The lower (fog/running) lights are constantly on...High beam or low beam, doesn't mater, always on....Seems unnecessary alternator drain having 3 lights burning constantly. Am I missing something?? Is there no provision to have on/off only when needed??? I got my first trike when I was 3 years old, and now at 83 I back on a trike again. Just got it 2 days ago and will no doubt, need some future advice.

KyLobo;

If you are truly worried about the electrical drain, have a Comp-u-Fire Alternator installed on your GL-1500, and you can run whatever your wiring can handle. I put one on my '88 GL1500 and put 185,000 on her. Changed brushes just twice. Then swapped it onto an '89 GL1500, and proceeded to put another 135,000 miles and 2 more brush changes on it. I ran high beams, fog lights and aftermarket driving lights, plus rings o' fire up front, and saddlebag, trunk, spoiler, hyper lights and mud flap lights in the rear.

In case anyone is wondering why . . . I ride 120 mile round trip every day, tear 'round between Fredericksburg, VA and Washington, DC on the infamous I-95, where you MUST be seen!

Ride SMART . . . Ride SAFE . . . but RIDE !

Dave Calahan

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back