stumped and getting balder

View attachment 3508View attachment 3507

exhaust tips are higher than the engine,but the way they're made ,i can't see how water would go in.the outer rim would prevent all but the most stubborn rain from going into the pipes.it would almost have to be blowing directly into pipe,and with the rain we've had it was coming from the other direction.any rain hits the shell,runs to the bottom and drains out a hole made just for that purpose other than the tips the engine is standard installation. :Shrug:

the stuff i'm now using IS waterproof.other than going to a molded cover,i don't know what else i can do.not much storage area on the trike,kinda hard to carry the wife and a molded cover at the same time.drawbacks of the three wheeling lifestyle ,huh.i don't believe its getting in through the exhaust system.i 'm thinkin' amout of rain along with lots of wind[lots]all contributed to my prob.will keep an eye on it .

During storage maybe try a plastic bag with rubber band over each exhaust tip and a heavy bag over the air cleaner/carb. One more idea I had after seeing photos - foam elements as often come in the air cleaners act as excellent wicks. (But 1-1/2 gallon of water? Something is majorly happening.)

1-1/2 gallon of fluid alltogether oil and water combined.the crankcase was totally full.that amount is what drained out of it.thats after a while of leaking through the old cover and me not checking it.[not being attentive]my bad.learned my lesson.checking once a week now or more frequently if it rains.

Are you sure it's not gasoline? I had mine leak gas into the crankcase because it was sitting at an angle and about a gallon leaked in. My gas tank is located above the engine and the angle of it opened the float on the carb and all that gas went into the engine.

no,not gas.tried to set it on fire.not really possible with my setup anyway.tank is in front of engine and slightly below it.plain old everyday get you wet water.rain and wind i guess.:)

if its not gettin in the carb or the exaust then the other places it might get in would be the top of the valve cover gasket or the top of a rotted pushrod tube. There might not be enough crankcase pressure in each of those to show an oil leak when the motor is running, but enough of a leak to let water in when the motor is off.

If your oil cooler had any leak , you would know it when you run the motor as it IS under pressure.

As for the choke and anti-diesel solenoid, if there is no problem now leave them un-hooked

dont have an oil cooler.strictly stock running gear.i figure its getting in through the air filter.the oil breather hose connection is flat to the floor of the filter case.open filter element.any water hitting the filter would soak through and collect on the floor of the housing ,then slide right on into the oil hose.need to raise the opening or cover the filter housing really good.thats my most likely place for water.

Hi, I had a similar problem with just tarping my bike. It had a bike cover on it and a tarp that was doubled over and weighted. In the spring it had surface rust all over her, lots of time for wife daughter and I cleaning her up. I finally went and for $400.00 bought me a Sears utility shed that is 10' W x 13' L. Another problem I had to solve those sheds sweat and it is like a shower in there in the summer. They make an insulation that is in a plastic bag and I used wood lathe to keep it in place. Now dry. look into it. For $600.00 it is a cheap fix to keep her dry.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back