Stock Header broke behind the collector!

Jun 15, 2013
Red Banks, MS
This last weekend I tracked down a new vibration that had started about 2 weeks ago.

The right header had completely broken right behind the collector.

In retrospect I believe this has been a long time in development. Probably started cracking back to our trip up to Alaska and all those rough roads in the Yukon and the Haul Road up to the arctic circle.

I should have caught it earlier, but it happened so gradually I did not notice the exhaust had changed so drastically until it was repaired.

This is on the right side, right after the cross-over pipe out of the collector.

TGBroke1_zps5328a9a4.jpg

It broke right past the factory weld. Even after it was completely broken the hose clamp that holds the heat shield onto the pipes was keeping it perfectly lined up.

TGBroke2_zpsbadf6f1d.jpg

I am pretty sure I could have gotten it replaced under warranty. But figured it would be easier to repair than to remove the cat out of the new header.

So we covered up all the paint and wires and welded it back together.

TGBrokePrep_zpseaf0e86e.jpg

The pipe HD used in these headers is some of the worst material we have ever seen. After welding it up, we checked for any leaks. Then we formed a 3" x 1" piece of mild steel and welded it to the backside across the joint to give it some extra strength.

TGWelding_zps1cb292d3.jpg

Have been riding it for a couple of days since the repair. No leaks and much different sound than I had gradually become accustomed to.

At some point I will be putting some aftermarket headers on, but right now we wanted to get it back right with the stock headers for some dyno testing of new parts in a few weeks.

Kevin

Yea, the first thing I did when I bought my 2011 was replace the header with Fuel Moto SS header. When I took off the stock header w/cat I saw how crappy the stock one really is. The Fuel Moto header is very well made piece.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back