Stallion antifreeze leak

Aug 1, 2010
EFFINGHAM, SC
I had a problem with a antifreeze leak.....I smelt antifreeze burning, but couldn't find the leak at first. I knew I was loosing water, because the coolant level in the container was going away.....I got it home in the shop, and I didn't see any water dripping to the floor, but still smelt it strong....
I checked out the under hood area, over the manifold , under the shifter, and the is a metal radiator pipe with a rubber plug on a nipple standing straight up.....this plug has be through it, with the heat from the engine, the plug was cracked up and loosing water on the exhaust .......Richard from TBMS told me to look there first, seems this has been a problem in the pass......I figure this maybe something you Stallion riders may need to know about....
:gah:
.................I WANT A REPAIR MANUAL !!!!!! Paid 30,000 for my ride 3 years ago....it's time for TBMS to get off their throne, and help a owner out......

ODDOMAN
EFFINGHAM , SC

I had a problem with a antifreeze leak.....I smelt antifreeze burning, but couldn't find the leak at first. I knew I was loosing water, because the coolant level in the container was going away.....I got it home in the shop, and I didn't see any water dripping to the floor, but still smelt it strong....
I checked out the under hood area, over the manifold , under the shifter, and the is a metal radiator pipe with a rubber plug on a nipple standing straight up.....this plug has be through it, with the heat from the engine, the plug was cracked up and loosing water on the exhaust .......Richard from TBMS told me to look there first, seems this has been a problem in the pass......I figure this maybe something you Stallion riders may need to know about....
:gah:
.................I WANT A REPAIR MANUAL !!!!!! Paid 30,000 for my ride 3 years ago....it's time for TBMS to get off their throne, and help a owner out......

ODDOMAN
EFFINGHAM , SC

DITTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Daydreamer

I caught this early on mine, I noticed the factory plug began to crack after about a year. Then shortly afterward somebody posted about the plug failing. I used a piece of hose and steel plug, this will be there when everything else is gone. It pays to put the machine on ramps occasionally and look around under there.

I think this has been a problem since day one with the Stallions. I haven't looked at a new Stallion but I hope TBMS has changed something they know has been a problem.:xszpv:

Yep had the same issue and plugged both with a bolt and clamp! Problem solved. You can't use vacuum plugs for a line under pressure. The one on the engine is pretty easy, but the one near the radiator can be challenging! Good luck…

I'm having a problem with my Stallion. I have a smell after I have been riding that smell like gear oil burning and I see on the muffler where something has been on it and I know that is where the smell is coming from. What I can't seem to find is where it (the leak) is coming from. The smell doesn't smell like antifreeze it smells more like rear end oil. When I park it nothing is on the floor or when I get under it I don't see any location where a leak would be. Any suggestions?

Ed, if you are smelling gear oil, I suggest jacking up the rear of the Stallion, and looking at the differential. Most likely your diff is just full, and has fluid coming out of the vent cap. How many miles does your Stallion have?

My 08 Stallion just went over 21,000 miles. I put 15,000 the last 2 years and one time I'll ride and don't smell anything and the next time there it is.
I have checked the rear end fluid but I will check it this afternoon just to make sure. Thanks for the help.

Ed, please update me when you find out if your diff leaking from the vent. It seems like that would likely be the case, considering it only leaks sometimes. I would imagine it would be due to the road, or parking spot not being level, allowing the fluid to seep out at times.

No, I had to replace the the imput shaft seal. So far after about 250 miles I haven't had any trouble but it doesn't look like I will be adding any miles because of the weather we are having here.

My 08 Stallion just went over 21,000 miles. I put 15,000 the last 2 years and one time I'll ride and don't smell anything and the next time there it is.
I have checked the rear end fluid but I will check it this afternoon just to make sure. Thanks for the help.
A smell like antifreeze is sometime confusing...I still look for a water leak, my water leak would never hit the floor, because it leaked on manifold and vapored .....

Oddoman
effingham, sc

A smell like antifreeze is sometime confusing...I still look for a water leak, my water leak would never hit the floor, because it leaked on manifold and vapored .....

Oddoman
effingham, sc

Down where you fill the automatic transmission fluid, at its base, there's a invert tee in the coolant line. There's a rubber cap at the top of the inverted T that's known to fail, rot, get fine cracks, that open up/expand when the coolant gets to operating temperature. Loss of coolant then occurs. This could be your problem. It was for me. Replaced mine with a 2 1/2" -3" piece of 5/8" heater hose, 2 alligator hose clamps and a plastic 5/8" PVC plug. Problem solved!

Daydreamer

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JStogner
Back