Spyder or Tri-Glide?

Hello neighbor, I live in Surprise. We should meet up for coffee some morning. I've owned a Spyder and now ride a TriGlide. I had to throw parts at both of them to get something that I enjoyed riding. The main reason that I got rid of the Spyder was that there wasn't a lot of things that I could do to it as far as repairs and such. Having had Harleys most of my riding life I had all the tools and knowledge to make repairs myself without going to the dealer, which I hate doing. Both have their good and bad points so it comes down to a matter of personal preference.

Its not just change oil "see link below" Also your Freewheeler doesnt have the fairings that trap the heat like a Tri Glide does That makes a lot of the stuff needed mods https://www.stonewallhd.com/Service/Maintenance-Intervals

Yes, I've got that list on my wall for whenever I do my service, but without going point by point on the list it's all stuff you should be looking at throughout the riding season, not just every 5000 miles. That's just what the dealer says he'll do, presuming you don't do any maintenance at all, ever. I mean even Goldwing riders have to check brake fluid, brake pads, drive shaft oil, engine oil & transmission oil and so forth. I'm sure their service intervals do the same things Harley do. Spyders? Maybe not, unless you can find a certified dealership with a trained mechanic. Good luck with that.

Its not just change oil "see link below"

Also your Freewheeler doesnt have the fairings that trap the heat like a Tri Glide does

That makes a lot of the stuff needed mods

https://www.stonewallhd.com/Service/Maintenance-Intervals

I concur with JT jersey. None of those mods are absolutely necessary. The only time my fairing traps the heat is when I'm at a standstill, which isn't very long.. I've spent thousands.in additions on my Tri Glide. Everyone because I wanted to not because it was needed. Many many people ride completely stockTri glides without a problem.

I really think it’s a personal choice, throw in looks, dealer help if you travel a lot, personal comfort. Us , we like Harley-Davidson but I really liked the California side car conversion but when traveling, dealers won’t always work on a CSC. All machines will have their own set of issues. I know how to work on my Tri Glide for most part. I can service it myself. I am sure if I had a Can-am, Goldwing or other I would put all kinds of Farkles on it like I did on my Tri Glide. Good luck on your choice. I would go with Harley.

Short and sweet of it

b6c22633d457cb0378492ab4a81c2fb9.jpg

I owned a Ryker (the little-boy to the Spyder). It is a cheap plastic toy compared to a Tri-Glide. Folks complain about Harley moving to cheap plastic parts-- but it ain't *nothin'* compared to the Ryker crap.

You just gotta test drive 'em. You'll be convinced.

Nevin

Friends who have them love them. I’ve taken a short ride on one. Handles better, brakes better. But a Spyder is still just weird to me. Like my TriGlide better.

Sad thing is it looks like a snowmobile with wheels. :rofl:

Funny..... I had one of the first Spyder's Registered in NJ, (2008)..In BRP Yellow and i can't tell you how many times i was stopped and asked did i convert it from a Snowmobile?....Twice by the police wanting to check my registration to see if it was legal .....Now they are common....

Well????

You have gotten MANY responses to your question from this forum and also over on the SpyderLovers forum.

Surely you have enough honest, as well as biased, opinions to have made your decision??

Please let us know ASAP as we so anxiously await to hear...

All though I now ride a Goldwing with a Roadsmith TRIKE kit........... 75,500 miles on it and still running great!!

I believe that my next TRIKE will be a Can AM spyder....... :hooray: I test ridde'n them and love'd it.......

Ronnie

2/2/24

- - - Updated - - -

Well????

You have gotten MANY responses to your question from this forum and also over on the SpyderLovers forum.

Surely you have enough honest, as well as biased, opinions to have made your decision??

Please let us know ASAP as we so anxiously await to hear...

Yes please!

let us know what your decision was::: DID YOU PURCHASE ONE??

Ronnie

2/2/24

Ok, I’ll throw my 2 cents in. First I’m a harley guy, i\owned more than you can shake a stick at ( from 1957 to 2024)..I’ve owned four Goldwing conversions ( one Champion and three CSC) five Harley TG’s.. no can am but I did test ride one.

goldwind/ runs great, strong motor, smooth, last forever. Hated the sitting position, killed my knees and hips, not much in handlebars to accommodate shorter riders. Just couldn’t get comfortable on it ( for me anyway). I think if you like Honda the automatic would be a sweet trike.

Harley/ has the look, has the soul, has the feel of a motorcycle. Has an unsurpassed dealer network, you can outfit your bike, self, wife, kids and dog…fit and finish in superior to most. Has the rumble most love…but ( and there’s always a but) it does take parts and accessories to make it right, shocks, lift kit, handle bars, etc…it does run hot ( thanks EPA) but it’s fun to make it your own. If I had the extra funds and didn’t mind the wait, I’d buy a RoadGlide and convert it..think Harleys missing it by not having a RG Tri Glide..but that’s my Opinion..

my advice? Test ride them all, take everyone’s opinion with a grain of salt..everyone’s butt is different and we don’t all like the same thing..Corvette, Shelby Mustang, Street Rod, Classic restored…all good, all different. Only you can make the decision…good luck on that..

Its not just change oil "see link below"

Also your Freewheeler doesnt have the fairings that trap the heat like a Tri Glide does

That makes a lot of the stuff needed mods

https://www.stonewallhd.com/Service/Maintenance-Intervals

I’ve never seen that service interval and if someone does that, they are quite obviously a sucker. Most of those things listed are suggested and I would bet suggested by any dealer with shady service policies by Honda, Can Am etc… My dealership never pushed that on me. I ve done most of that stuff myself in the past.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back