Speedometer and radio shorting out

Nov 16, 2011
wayne, wi
2001 Ultra Classic Champion conversion. Help, my problem started a couple rides ago. The stereo, stock AM FM Cassette Hog Tunes amp and speakers, started crackling and became very static. Now my stereo and the speedometer both go out at same time. Doesn't seem to be the speed sensor because my tach still works just fine(not really sure just my guess). Bumpy roads don't seem to be the problem either. I can go for 45 minutes and no problem or I can go for 5 minute no problem but when the issue starts it goes on and off so much and stays off or on for whatever time. IRRITATING!!! I cleaned all the grounds under my seat. My harness plugs under my fairing all look really good, clean and tight and secure. At first I thought it was my amp, sent back to Hog Tunes, not the problem. So I could really use some help here.
Thanks
Steve

Check the wiring harness at the neck. With the extra back and forth for turning, it can wear there. Mine was just replaced at 80k miles on TG. That they didn't think to design better.
First my Speedo started messing up. Then tach. Then radio.

find the connectors and give them a shot of contact cleaner...blow some air in to dry them out and then add a small amount of dialectic grease to the contacts. This worked on my sound system as it helped the flow of electricity thru the contacts and also sealed out moisture.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back