South Dakota trip

Wife and I rode from Stow, Ohio to Sturgis. First night on the road, stopped in Janesville, Wisconsin. About 480 miles that day. Lots of food (we were on I-90). Lots of places to stop. Second day another 460 or so to Sioux Falls, S.D. for the night. Plenty of stop opportunities thru Wisconsin and Minnesota. It was a little more slim pickins in S.D. We weren't looking for food (we have a big breakfast then just the occasional gas stop snack during the day. Don't pass any gas stops once you get 120 miles or so across S.D. if you're on I-90 (our Harley got about 36-37 MPG running 75-80 MPH). Enjoy every inch of your trip. Drink it in.

The safest and happiest travels to you,

ED

Hi Becky and Welcome to Trike Talk

Follow the truckers, they know where the food and fuel stops are;) We never had problems finding food on our many trips to Sturgis. Have a great trip:clapping:If you are on I90, check Mitchell,Chamberlain, Murdo Rapid City, & Spearfish

Sturgis or Bust

Becky, Welcome to Trike Talk from West Virginia.:wave4::wave4:

As is said here, you can travel I-70 to I-80 through Nebraska then head north into SD through the Black Hills (pretty ride).

Plenty of places to stop and chomp with varied scenery.

Or you can highball it on I-90.

Either way, It is going to be hot .....:cxtv:

I hate the expressways and will go a little out of my way for a more leisure and usually scenic ride. I have used US 20 to get to Casper Wy from Michigan and came very close to Sturgis. Not much traffic thru farm country. Us 18 in SD looks likes something I would try. Never know what you will find when you get of the interstates!

We just returned from riding the routes around Deadwood. We dislike the ride on I-90, so we take highway 20 across Nebraska. Good roads, lots more cattle than people, but the sand hills are a beautiful sight! Thought about taking SD highway 44 home, but heard that it was blocked at the Indian reservation because of Covid. You may want to check that out before you do any driving in the Badlands.

Make sure you ride Spearfish Canyon, Needles Highway, Iron Mountain and the Custer wildlife loop for some great views of buffalo!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back