snow chains on a trike

Aug 30, 2012
Brisbane Australia
was just looking at a post by grapenuts, in the travel section, and the thought crossed my mind... How would a trike go with snow chains?? anyone tried it?? in theory it should work ok, chains arent hard to make to fit any wheel if you have access to a welder.
the idea is no use to me as it never snows here.
anyones thoughts, stories or knowledge on the topic would be appreciated

You buy tire chains to fit the size of tire you have so that is not a problem getting ones for the rear tires. You would probably go with the cable type rather than the link type for clearance in the fender well. The big thing would be the front. As Veritas said you would probably need two skis on the front. Other possibility would be to use a knobby type tire like dirt trackers use or the studded one like the ice racers use. Also you would probably want to stay in the 20 to 30 mph range. Would be interesting to see a trike set up like that.

2011 Merlot and Black TG

Well getting a set of tire chains for a trike tire wouldn't be hard to do but clearing the fender on a Tri Glide could be. Theres not much room between the tire side wall and the outer edge of the fender.
It's just my opinion but if it's cold enough to snow I'm going to drive my truck any way, LOL.
Dan

chains wouldn't work on my RS as I have almost no fender clearance. Would opt instead for studded tires on rear and installing ice screws into new front tire. That said, if conditions are that bad I'll be in my 4x4 Suburban. ;)

I've ridden many times in the snow, Stay off the front brake and with no more than 3 inches of snow the stock tires will be OK,
[at moderate speeds] More than 3 inches i wait till the plows go by.
Chains??..... Just picture one braking or slipping off a tire, Gonna be a lot of damage under there...

If I had to do something, I would stud the tires. I wouldn't even think of putting on chains.
Why would anyone want to???
Get a snowmobile instead if you want to go play in the snow.
I ride all winter here in the Chicago suburbs and I just wait until the snow plows clear the roads.
Plus I use gallons of S100 Corrosion Protectant on my bike. :)

growing up in snow country I found out that the further you move south the less snow there is to deal with. no snow chains for me thanks anyway. here I in s.e. mo. we get a little of everything ;ice / snow / freezing rain /low temps around 10 above. but never lasts too long.

maybe you could try independent rear brakes on the rear like the old w.d. tractors had . would help with steering.

come on people..lighten up. its all theoretical from my perspective as i live in sub tropical queensland australia. we will never see snow here. but.. i have lived many places in the world. some with snow.. as a kid we would go out on the road in snow or ice and do do naughts on the road on our bikes for fun. or drive cars with chains up to the ski fields. ive used chains on a home made beach buggy in mud.
and i would , if i wanted to go adventure riding cut a set of guards, and raise the front guard to give it a serious go.
yes chains can break. it happens on car wheels and does damage. just as adventure 4x4ing can and will do damage to your 4x4.

it was just an inquiry as to if it had or could be done

i dont need a shrink for thinking outside the box and having an adventurous spirit.

come on people..lighten up. its all theoretical from my perspective as i live in sub tropical queensland australia. we will never see snow here. but.. i have lived many places in the world. some with snow.. as a kid we would go out on the road in snow or ice and do do naughts on the road on our bikes for fun. or drive cars with chains up to the ski fields. ive used chains on a home made beach buggy in mud.
and i would , if i wanted to go adventure riding cut a set of guards, and raise the front guard to give it a serious go.
yes chains can break. it happens on car wheels and does damage. just as adventure 4x4ing can and will do damage to your 4x4.

it was just an inquiry as to if it had or could be done

i dont need a shrink for thinking outside the box and having an adventurous spirit.

Ive seen wheels on snowmobiles (on the skis) so why not.

I wise man I knew once told me that "you cant drive what you race and you shouldn't race what you drive " I wouldn't think of trying this on my trike but if any body has an old beat up Honda 3 wheeler they could give it a try . would be cool to see the results

Many years ago i put a snowmobile ski on the front and chains on the rear of my Honda ATC, AKA Big Red..
What happen was the rear would Digg in and chassis up the trike and just sit there...Also tried it with out the chains same results.. Conclusion' Snowmobiles float over the snow Trikes just sit and spin their wheels..:gah:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back