Shovelhead Rear Sprocket Size?

Apr 22, 2022
Texas City
I am building a custom trike with a Harley Shovelhead engine and four speed trans. Chain Drive. I have a 23 tooth trans sprocket, what do you guys recommend for the axle sprocket? 26" tires. This will be mostly just ridden around town, rarely if ever on the freeway.

Chain or belt? The stock HD 4 speed leaves a lot of gearing choices left on the table, however changing the rear sprocket can improve some of this

You need to check to see if a chain or belt will be available also for whatever sprockets/ pulleys you use

32 tranny sprocket/ pulley and 70 wheel is a good combo for most trikes, but again your tranny gearing is going to be in play as well as your primary gearing

That's a pretty handy calculator for figuring chain length and the final drive ratio. I am guessing lower numerical is good for the highway, higher numerical is better for off the line power.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back