Should I buy more Warranty?

Jul 25, 2016
Pratt, Kansas, USA
Hello,

I received a card that the Warranty on my 2016 Triglide is running out.

I talked to my Dealer and learned I can buy more warranty priced at:

1 Year at 1,044

2 Years 1,324

3 Years 1,704

4 Years 2,029

5 Years 2,524

What would you do? Thanks for any and all replies.

Hello,

1 Year at 1,044

2 Years 1,324

3 Years 1,704

4 Years 2,029

5 Years 2,524

Is that with the Tire & Wheel included in the price?

Warr

Both Wife/I have purchased the extended warr. for our trikes and we recommend it if:

1. You can afford it

2. If your a high mileage rider

It has paid for itself + in our case, I've had a complete rebuild and Wife has top end, compensater, and other issues.

:xzqxz:

Hello,

1 Year at 1,044

2 Years 1,324

3 Years 1,704

4 Years 2,029

5 Years 2,524

My radio went bad under warranty. It would have cost @$2000, labor extra. To make a decision, looking at both sides is helpful. Not trying to convnce you either way, just sayin....

Hello,

1 Year at 1,044

2 Years 1,324

3 Years 1,704

4 Years 2,029

5 Years 2,524

I would research a better price. GOOGLE it. I believe Boardtracker HD sells them.

Watch your time though, as I believe you need to get it before your 24 month factory waŕranty expires, or you will pay more.

Keep us posted what you decide. I have been starting to look around also.

There is no way I'd own a Harley without a warranty unless it's a classic. For that matter, given most new bikes are computer controlled now, I would own any without warranty.

My 07 was just days from going out of extended warranty when the brains went out. The bill for diagnosis and replacement would have hurt drastically but all it cost was $50.00. It's the computers or the brains of these bikes that scare me the most. Then you have all the little things that can go wrong too that make a warranty worth it to me. Not to mention the possibility of something else more major like the need for a full engine repair.

Classics no.

Modern bikes yes. Absolutely.

Fozworth, keep us posted on what you do, especially if you end up getting a cheaper warranty through another dealer. I'm within 3 months of my initial 2 year warranty expiring and I'll probably get one. I'm putting about 7,000 to 9,000 miles a year on.

Just looking at what went wrong under warranty since my TG was new (seat replacement and front master cylinder) it would have saved me about $1,200 to $1,400 the first 2 years.

I would research a better price. GOOGLE it. I believe Boardtracker HD sells them.

Watch your time though, as I believe you need to get it before your 24 month factory waŕranty expires, or you will pay more.

Keep us posted what you decide. I have been starting to look around also.

Jim Palmer, the F&I guy at Boardtracker H-D does indeed sell ESPs. He has set up a separate website for these plans: https://www.discountesp.com/

Like others have said I would not own a Harley without an ESP. I'm hoping the M8 motor is better than the TC. I had four different TC 110" motors have catastrophic failure three times resulting in an entirely new motor and the fourth in a complete rebuild including the crank shaft on up. Harleys are great fun machines but I can't say much good about the longevity or durability of the motors.

And I've had several other things covered by ESP such as compensator, starter motor, wiring harness for passenger headset hookup, iPod cable, ignition switch, etc., etc. Maybe I've just been 'lucky' but I maintain my bikes according to the specs and take very good care of them. I ride and enjoy and having the factory warranty or an ESP after it runs out adds greatly to the enjoyment for my wife and me.

Out of curiosity I looked up Jim's cost of an ESP (no wheel & tire) for a 2018-2014 model still in factory warranty:

3 years $688

4 years $824

5 years $975

6 years $1,129

7 years $1,348

Like Harley's ESP the term you buy includes the two year factory warranty term. So 7 year ESP would be 2 years factory warranty and then 5 years ESP coverage. I have tire and wheel only from Jim on my 2918 TG. When I get close to the factory warranty expiration I'll definitely purchase the mechanical coverage from him.

If I remember right I had to have 30 days left on my factory warr. when I bought my ESP from Jim. I know I was pretty close.

And the one I got for $824 was zero deductible...

Jim Palmer, the F&I guy at Boardtracker H-D does indeed sell ESPs. He has set up a separate website for these plans: https://www.discountesp.com/

Like others have said I would not own a Harley without an ESP. I'm hoping the M8 motor is better than the TC. I had four different TC 110" motors have catastrophic failure three times resulting in an entirely new motor and the fourth in a complete rebuild including the crank shaft on up. Harleys are great fun machines but I can't say much good about the longevity or durability of the motors.

And I've had several other things covered by ESP such as compensator, starter motor, wiring harness for passenger headset hookup, iPod cable, ignition switch, etc., etc. Maybe I've just been 'lucky' but I maintain my bikes according to the specs and take very good care of them. I ride and enjoy and having the factory warranty or an ESP after it runs out adds greatly to the enjoyment for my wife and me.

Out of curiosity I looked up Jim's cost of an ESP (no wheel & tire) for a 2018-2014 model still in factory warranty:

3 years $688

4 years $824

5 years $975

6 years $1,129

7 years $1,348

Like Harley's ESP the term you buy includes the two year factory warranty term. So 7 year ESP would be 2 years factory warranty and then 5 years ESP coverage. I have tire and wheel only from Jim on my 2918 TG. When I get close to the factory warranty expiration I'll definitely purchase the mechanical coverage from him.

Does "Jim" own a HD dealership? Has anyone turned in a claim on one of these contracts?

Since the 5 year contract (7 year) is less than half the cost of my Dealer quote (5 year) doesn't it all seem too good to be true or legal?

I feel like something is missing.

Another source of confusion I need to clear up with my dealer, I was told no tire and wheel coverage. However, the card I received in the mail showed the cost of tire and wheel repair as if it is or should be covered. Seems like false advertising to me.

I wonder if my Dealer can refuse to honor the contract from "Jim" if I don't buy from them? I guess I could take my Trike to a different dealer for repair but I've been thinking being loyal to one dealer might pay off for future purchases. That may be a foolish assumption on my part?

If I remember right I had to have 30 days left on my factory warr. when I bought my ESP from Jim. I know I was pretty close.

And the one I got for $824 was zero deductible...

For one year? Did you use the contract for anything? I don't see anything on the web site about labor charges.

I have sent an email asking if labor is included.

Does "Jim" own a HD dealership? Has anyone turned in a claim on one of these contracts?

Since the 5 year contract (7 year) is less than half the cost of my Dealer quote (5 year) doesn't it all seem too good to be true or legal?

I feel like something is missing.

Another source of confusion I need to clear up with my dealer, I was told no tire and wheel coverage. However, the card I received in the mail showed the cost of tire and wheel repair as if it is or should be covered. Seems like false advertising to me.

I wonder if my Dealer can refuse to honor the contract from "Jim" if I don't buy from them? I guess I could take my Trike to a different dealer for repair but I've been thinking being loyal to one dealer might pay off for future purchases. That may be a foolish assumption on my part?

Jim is the Finance & Insurance guy like I said - not the dealership owner. His ESP is legit. I've know several folks on the cvoharley website (I had CVOs since 2005 before the trike) who have his ESP and have had no problem. Now each dealership can decide whose ESP they will honor but I specifically asked my dealership about it and no problem. While I've personally not had a claim like I said I personally know some folks who have had claims and no problem.

He offers contracts through Cornerstone (except for FL and CA) and also through First Extended Service Corp. who can offer coverage in FL and CA. Cornerstone is big in the metric bike ESP market and have entered into the H-D market through Jim at Boardtracker. I personally prefer the Cornerstone contract if you get the wheel and tire as it has no limits as to what it will pay whereas the First Extended contract does have wheel and tire coverage limits. Talk to Jim or his assistand, Kathy Arquette. Both are great and will answer all your questions.

Thanks for the information. I can not touch those prices around here & they are a lot less than what the OP posted :clapping:

I still have 17 months on my factory warranty, so I have a while to decide & look for good deals.

My oldest son has a 2015 CVO that was 2 weeks from going out of warranty & the engine imploded to the tune of $9,300. I about had a heart attack.

IMO, if the MoCo wants to show they stand behind their products, why not a 5 year warranty.

Yamaha does it on their touring bike.

Warr.

FYI-for all you HD RIDERS out there that truely ride their bikes/trikes, I highly recommend the extended warr. plans

that are available.

As a long time (50 yrs. +) rider I am VERY disappointed with

the MoCo's current departure of RELABILITY (?) and LONGIVITY

of their machines! It appears they are leaning more and more towards the THROW AWAY motor after xxx miles!

I currently have 91 thou. + miles on my trike and it's had a complete rebuild (on warr., tks) and they will NOT let me re-new my ext. warr. because of HIGH MILEAGE......WHAT!!!

We love our Harley's but I firmly believe Harley may be paving the way for their own DEMISE.:gah::gah:

When I purchased my trike I negotiated a 5 year third party ESP where as if I don't use the plan I can renew at no cost or get my money back. It cost me $1,300. So far I haven't had the need to use it. I'm thinking I will just renew it when the time comes. That cuts my cost in half and gives me a ten year ESP. The plan is covered by HD. To me it's a no stress no worry plan.

I bought my 14' Tri Glide used (7200 mi.) and generally never consider extended warranties. However, due to some of the expensive systems on these bikes, ie: boom box- reverse - etc, I decided to opt for a two year contract. Within the first six months, the reverse motor died and I had it replaced for $1700.00 which was covered.Think I got my money back real quick. ThumbUp Will definitely extend when it comes due......

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back