Reverse quit on 2020 Tri-Glide

JPS

Sep 6, 2016
Robins, Iowa, USA
This is my first post so excuse me if I make a mistake! I am a daily reader of this forum and I am appreciative of the information available.

Reverse quit working the other day. First check was breaker and it was ok. I had to rebuild reverse on our 2016 at least 3 times, so figured that was next step. Removed wheel to gain access and realized this reverse motor was a completely different animal.

Went to Ronnie's to look at parts list and picture is old style motor, but new part number ending in C. Then checked my repair manual and wiring shows old style motor. I didn't find this motor until I looked at the 2022 parts list. We purchased trike new so this is what came in it. Now I'm thinking maybe this is my chance to get a mechanical reverse, but thought better check it out first.

Removed body for better access and started checking from breaker back for the problem. Within a few minutes found wire from the solenoid tucked behind battery box had broken at the terminal. It was concealed in the loom so wasn't noticeable until I found that power wasn't making it from there to the solenoid on the motor. Replaced terminal and all is well.

Not a big deal, but thought it was good information if someone runs into this problem.

This was first issue with reverse on the 2020 and it has 46,000 miles on it. Guess I won't be installing a mechanical reverse at this time.

This is my first post so excuse me if I make a mistake! I am a daily reader of this forum and I am appreciative of the information available.

Reverse quit working the other day. First check was breaker and it was ok. I had to rebuild reverse on our 2016 at least 3 times, so figured that was next step. Removed wheel to gain access and realized this reverse motor was a completely different animal.

Went to Ronnie's to look at parts list and picture is old style motor, but new part number ending in C. Then checked my repair manual and wiring shows old style motor. I didn't find this motor until I looked at the 2022 parts list. We purchased trike new so this is what came in it. Now I'm thinking maybe this is my chance to get a mechanical reverse, but thought better check it out first.

Removed body for better access and started checking from breaker back for the problem. Within a few minutes found wire from the solenoid tucked behind battery box had broken at the terminal. It was concealed in the loom so wasn't noticeable until I found that power wasn't making it from there to the solenoid on the motor. Replaced terminal and all is well.

Not a big deal, but thought it was good information if someone runs into this problem.

This was first issue with reverse on the 2020 and it has 46,000 miles on it. Guess I won't be installing a mechanical reverse at this time.

Jim…..Welcome‘ And thanks for the information..It will probably help others.👍👍.

welcome to TT & thanx for the info. I also have a 2020 so will know where to check if it quits. I know many have had reverse failure. I have not ,& on my 2nd Tri now. :Coffee:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back