Reverse motor

Welcome to Trike-Talk... I repaired mine twice myself, Took it apart and sanded the commutator/armature cleaned the brushes each time it worked for a few months the 3 time I had mine rebuilt That was over two years ago,That lasted about a year.. [95 Dollars]
Then i bit the bullet and had a Mechanical reverse put in [Motor-Trike reverse 17 hunderd] ...Shoulda did that the first time...Now i can park anywhere i want...
The motor is an Hitachi 4 rebuilders over the phone said they can fix till i brought the motor to them.. Thats when they said ..No can do.
The shop that did mine is ;
Middlesex Armature Service
Colonia NJ 07607 Tell # 732-634-3779
Don't know what they charge now?
My advice.. Go Mechanical....

Rickeypilot; Just trying to find someone to repair the reverse motor on my 2014 Triglide. Harley wants $1500. :xzqxz:

If you can wait till tomorrow I will update you with reverse motor repairs I had done successfully with a one year warranty at a total cost $308. The turnaround time was 10 days. Very happy with repairs and service. DJ

Rickeypilot

Rickeypilot; Just trying to find someone to repair the reverse motor on my 2014 Triglide. Harley wants $1500. :xzqxz:

If you can wait till tomorrow I will update you with reverse motor repairs I had done successfully with a one year warranty at a total cost $308. The turnaround time was 10 days. Very happy with repairs and service. DJ

Thanks DJ

RickeypilotF

First if you search new post on the Forum you will find several articles for “Reverse Motor”. When I did my search this company was recommend and here is their contact information;

Performance Starter and Alternator Inc., 2131 Harrison SW, Canton, OH. (Here is their web site http://www.performancestarter.com/) and spoke with Mike the owner. He rebuilds the H-D reverse motors himself due to the complexity and insuring they are water tight. The cost was $308 including shipping and insurance. Mike said he warranty’s a rebuild for one year (same as H-D if you purchased it new $1475 + 4 hours labor @ $100 per hour).

So, I removed my reverse motor from the 2011 Tri- glide with 38,786 miles and sent it to Performance Inc. in Canton OH. He said he was two weeks behind before he could do the rebuild.

I am totally satisfied with the rebuild and cost. I understand others are installing a reverse gear but at this time I couldn’t justify the cost.

I have no affiliation with this company or personnel only received this information off this forum. Hope this helps.

DJ

Just about any Alternator Starter Motor rebuild shop can do it. It's a Mitsubishi starter.

Quite possible Harley use's different suppliers for their reverse motors' Mine was an Hitachi.. Technically there're not a starter motor. Starters are designed to spin fast.. The reverse motor is designed to spin slow.. but with high Torque...

Only problem with installing a mechanical reverse,is if under warranty. Void warranty.

The reason i put the mechanical in is because i was over the warranty period.... 1380$ for the electric .. 1700$ for the mechanical' Worth every extra dollar. And if i was under the warranty the only part that ''Might'' be void would be the tranny...If that??

Hitachi parts can be found any where, u may want to beef up the armature and wingdings JMO

Did that once, Among quite a few other repairs. That worked for a little over a year... Like Einstein said ; Insanity ; Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results... So i went Mechanical....ThumbUp

reverse

for the cost of rebuilding a reverse motor why not just buy the extended warranty then you are covered for 5 years after the original warranty is up

for the cost of rebuilding a reverse motor why not just buy the extended warranty then you are covered for 5 years after the original warranty is up

I have that too til 2023, just sayin I can beef it up by turning down the armature or replacing the fields, I used to have a growler and a tester but sold off most all of my shop tools years ago, now a Fluke meter and test light is all I need

I have that too til 2023, just sayin I can beef it up by turning down the armature or replacing the fields, I used to have a growler and a tester but sold off most all of my shop tools years ago, now a Fluke meter and test light is all I need

I replaced the armature... carbon brushes and brush plate....The weak link in the chain are the brushes... Changed them 3 times...The reason the brushes go bad is moisture/water causes them to corrode, Ride in the rain and snow/shush' And salt like i do ... And thats it...:Shrug:

I replaced the armature... carbon brushes and brush plate....The weak link in the chain are the brushes... Changed them 3 times...The reason the brushes go bad is moisture/water causes them to corrode, Ride in the rain and snow/shush' And salt like i do ... And thats it...:Shrug:
Agree but I am a tinker retired mechanic and I hate to lose ThumbUp

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back