Replacing stock grips with after market grips

Hub

Oct 8, 2022
Villa Rica, Ga
Now that this group has solved my how to ride with music issues, I was hoping to get some thoughts on replacing my grips.

I'm not a fan of the stock grips. There is a lot of vibration with little to no cushion, and my hands tend to tingle, especially my right hand. I've looked at several aftermarket grips that get rave reviews. I especially like the Avon grips. However, after reading my owner's manual, I'm not sure which grips are compatible. I have a 2021 Freewheeler Trike. The bars measure at 1" and the current stock grips appear to be 4.75" on the right and 4.5" on the left, at least that's the measurements of the grips that I can see while installed.

When looking at aftermarket grips, I see some that are listed as push/pull, others that are listed as throttle sleeve and bullet style, and many that list as fly-by-wire. My owner's manual doesn't use any of these terms. Any idea which I need for me 21 FLRT trike? Have you changed your stock grips? Which brand/model grip do you prefer? I'm looking for a soft grip that will limit the vibration and be a bit soft to the touch.

As always, I appreciate any thoughts.

Hub

Now that this group has solved my how to ride with music issues, I was hoping to get some thoughts on replacing my grips.

I'm not a fan of the stock grips. There is a lot of vibration with little to no cushion, and my hands tend to tingle, especially my right hand. I've looked at several aftermarket grips that get rave reviews. I especially like the Avon grips. However, after reading my owner's manual, I'm not sure which grips are compatible. I have a 2021 Freewheeler Trike. The bars measure at 1" and the current stock grips appear to be 4.75" on the right and 4.5" on the left, at least that's the measurements of the grips that I can see while installed.

When looking at aftermarket grips, I see some that are listed as push/pull, others that are listed as throttle sleeve and bullet style, and many that list as fly-by-wire. My owner's manual doesn't use any of these terms. Any idea which I need for me 21 FLRT trike? Have you changed your stock grips? Which brand/model grip do you prefer? I'm looking for a soft grip that will limit the vibration and be a bit soft to the touch.

As always, I appreciate any thoughts.

Hub

You need throttle by wire, Avon are a good choice, I use these

drag_specialties_vintage_style_grips_for_harley_fly_by_wire_750x750.jpg

Reactions: Hub
You need throttle by wire, Avon are a good choice, I use these

Thanks for the info. Does is it matter which size as long as they are 1" fly by wire. I really like these, but the website says nothing of size, only fly-by-wire, and push/pull.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 172
I've always liked Harley's grips. They're easy for me to hang onto without slipping and my '21 Freewheeler has no vibration to speak of so it's never been an issue at all in the last 16,000 miles.

Oh Ive tried different grips over the years but I always come back to the HD style smooth grips. They just look and feel right. Like grabbing a firm young breast, not big not large- just right. Now ya wanna talk vibration - my '76 FXE will rattle the fillings out of your teeth whereas my FLRT is almost like a massage.

As always, I appreciate the feedback and the comradery here. I've worked hard to reduce the "death grip" approach, but even when keeping my hand open on the throttle most of the time, it still gets tingly and my hand is on the border of being asleep. I think a larger, softer grip is worth trying, plus I love the bullets!! :clapping:

I have used the Harley “Nostalgic” grips on my 95’ Softail, 99’ Ultra and currently on my 2021 Tri Glide.

A ”chunkier” grip with softer rubber, but yet they maintain a positive grip without having to give it a “death grip”.

I dislike the stock grips for many reasons… hard plastic (which also makes then slick) and thin IMO.

The Nostalgic grips have done the trick for me for years.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/shop/nostalgic-hand-grips/p/56275-96B

Reactions: Hub

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back