Recall?

I have an '05 and I took it on in December 9th. Since I previously had it inspected with no problems discovered, the dealer swapped out my rear master cylinder and changed my brake fluid, front and rear.

I regularly change the fluid anyway. Apparently that is the reason they are failing, because of dirty or contaminated fluid.

Has anyone had the brake recall done and what did they do?
The secondary and rear master cylinders are replaced and a complete brake fluid flush/replacement is performed.

Took mine in yesterday and they said it was ok,, nothing to change or fix. I'm good to go..
If what I stated above was not done, your dealer did not perform the latest recall and you may not be "good to go":AGGHH:

BTW, doesn't matter if the secondary master cylinder is capped off(brakes unlinked, front to rear) conversion companies are still recommending replacement under the recall.

What's with all the brake recalls in general? It's not just Honda or Harley either. Several others have recalls with hydraulic brakes for some reason. Has China entered the brake market now too?:mad:

What's with all the brake recalls in general? It's not just Honda or Harley either. Several others have recalls with hydraulic brakes for some reason. Has China entered the brake market now too?:mad:

I believe that poor maintenance has contributed to master cylinder failure. The claim is that old contaminated brake fluid breaks down the metal causing failure.

I believe that poor maintenance has contributed to master cylinder failure. The claim is that old contaminated brake fluid breaks down the metal causing failure.

That may be true with some but Indian has had recalls on 16's before they were even delivered. I think there's a deep problem like China is making the darn things now. Just way too many recalls on way too many different brands of bikes. What's going on behind the scenes that we aren't being told? Do a search on hydraulic brake recalls. They are everywhere. Even bicycles. It's China I say it's China.:D Either they are now making the components or the fluid. Can't have this many issues without a common factor.

Has anyone had the brake recall done and what did they do?

Had mine done yesterday. They replaced the rear master cylinder and the anti-dive on the front. It took them 2.7 hours according to the paperwork I got. They warned me that they didn't think Honda was allowing enough time for doing an update on a bike that had a trike kit but they said it went well and there wasn't any additional cost to me.

Everything works great from the ride testing I've done so far today.

Had mine done yesterday. They replaced the rear master cylinder and the anti-dive on the front. It took them 2.7 hours according to the paperwork I got. They warned me that they didn't think Honda was allowing enough time for doing an update on a bike that had a trike kit but they said it went well and there wasn't any additional cost to me.

Everything works great from the ride testing I've done so far today.
Interesting! Are you sure it was the ADV and not the secondary master cylinder?
Latest recall covers trikes also

so just a simple question,,,, 100% of all the trikes are under recall?? (the following is from roadsmiths website) Does this recall affect Roadsmith HT/HTS1800 (triked GL1800)?

During installation of Roadsmith conversion kits, the SMC on the motorcycle is disabled. Honda’s
repair procedure states: If the vehicles’ secondary master cylinder (SMC) is removed, or the SMC
has no brake fluid flow or connections, this recall does not apply. By disabling the SMC during the conversion process, there is no mechanical or fluid flow link between the SMC and rear master cylinder on Roadsmith triked GL1800 motorcycles.
The secondary and rear master cylinders are replaced and a complete brake fluid flush/replacement is performed.

If what I stated above was not done, your dealer did not perform the latest recall and you may not be "good to go":AGGHH:

BTW, doesn't matter if the secondary master cylinder is capped off(brakes unlinked, front to rear) conversion companies are still recommending replacement under the recall.

so just a simple question,,,, 100% of all the trikes are under recall?? (the following is from roadsmiths website) Does this recall affect Roadsmith HT/HTS1800 (triked GL1800)?

During installation of Roadsmith conversion kits, the SMC on the motorcycle is disabled. Honda’s
repair procedure states: If the vehicles’ secondary master cylinder (SMC) is removed, or the SMC
has no brake fluid flow or connections, this recall does not apply. By disabling the SMC during the conversion process, there is no mechanical or fluid flow link between the SMC and rear master cylinder on Roadsmith triked GL1800 motorcycles.

Yes, I saw that also. I'm suggesting it be ignored and you get the recall done. Why not, you get a free brake fluid flush and fill!
Same goes for my Hannigan yet, Hannigan suggests getting the recall performed.

I think the whole Toyota recall congressional inquiries have made manufacturers a little gun shy. Where before they might of been a little hesitant to issue a recall until they where sure there was an issue, now, someone sneezes and the recalls fly. Just my humble opinion.

I have a Lehman Monarch LLS and the secondary master cylinder has been disconnected from the rear brakes, but it is still hooked up to the Anti Dive via a new 10" hose! I was at the dealership, and was told by the Service manager and the mechanic that both the secondary mc and rear mc would be replaced per Honda's instruction!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back