Rebuild

Jun 24, 2011
South Bend,IN,USA
Just found out a little info on whats going in my engine. Lou called me today and asked the part numbers on my pistons and heads. I have the SE 100+ CNC Ported & Polished heads & the SE 10:5-1 forged pistons. He asked if I changed the throttle body. No I still have the stock. The following year they started installing the bigger body.Sounds like he's going with different pistons. He is going with Andrews cams. He didn't tell me which ones & I didn't ask. Like I said before, This guy knows how to build a motor.He told me I will have all kinds of torque compared to what I have now with the SE 259E cams. He just got in the S&S crank kit.Hey Mike ,I told him about the one with the same bearing & that's what he got. He'd just got a new catalog in right after my last post. He did say that I'd have to get it Dynoed again. That's gong to cost a pretty penny. I thought he was going to give me an est. first. I don't like surprises. I will have to sell my new truck now!! This freaking thing aint worth it. I'll have more than 50 grand in it. No trike is worth that much. The first 2 Dynoes were free. This thing better run like a raped ape and be dependable! Jim

yeah its a lot of coin, but when she goes like a cat on fire youll love every minute of it. spending the big coin is an act of dedication. i salute you...

I already had 100hp with 108lbs of torque so it ran good anyway. It's just the using of the oil all the time. Plus the dealership kept putting stock lifters in a high performance motor. When the lifters go out twice, wouldn't that tell ya something? Since it will have more torque I'm wondering whether I should go ahead & put in the 480lb clutch spring over the SE spring which I think is only 380lb. Any thoughts. P.S. I might be selling my 2012,350 dually, King Ranch with only 11,000 mi. to pay for this thing if someone might be interested in a nice truck. I really don't want to but I just don't have $5,000-10,000 just laying around for a rainy day. So much for Harley dependability!! Jim.

in a simple word: YES !

Im running a 110 s.e. and after converting to a trike the s.e. clutch spring couldn't hold the power plus the additional weight of the trike. Im now looking at the clutch wiz as the new h.p. spring has increased the pull on the lever.

Hey Tom W do have any idea how much hp & torque you have? have you ever had it Dynoed? Mine's been done twice now. I already have the Clutch Wiz and a thing from White Brothers on the transmission side, so my clutch pull is like butter. Plus it doesn't slip. So maybe i'll be ok. My 103 makes a lot more hp & torque than a stock 110. Do you know what size spring you have? Mike or Dennis you can put your 2 cents in anytime .

tom w, do you know what spring you have in there now? Mine has a lot more hp & torgue than a 110. I have the heavyer Se spring but it's not the 480. It doesn't slip plus I installed a thing from Burly(white brothers) which made my clutch pull easy. Then I got the Clutch Wiz from Dennis & now it pulls like butter. The other thing is under the transmission side cover. It just gives you more leverage. Mike or Dennis you can pipe in here anytime about the spring or anything else. Hope you all are doing good. Jim

tom w, do you know what spring you have in there now? Mine has a lot more hp & torgue than a 110. I have the heavyer Se spring but it's not the 480. It doesn't slip plus I installed a thing from Burly(white brothers) which made my clutch pull easy. Then I got the Clutch Wiz from Dennis & now it pulls like butter. The other thing is under the transmission side cover. It just gives you more leverage. Mike or Dennis you can pipe in here anytime about the spring or anything else. Hope you all are doing good. Jim

Glad your going with the S&S crank and it sure sounds like this time around it should be a charm. I'd put the 480 spring in, you'll be making more steam than what the HD 110 makes out of the box. You'll have to let us know what cams he is using when you can find out, I'm betting he'll be using the 54 but could be wrong. The dyno cost shouldn't be real bad, on average its around $400 - $500. I ended up spending more on the dyno for the 120 in my 06 because he had almost a day and a half in it by the time he heat cycled it and did a break in before the tune, then he road tested it to make sure it was good to go.

Thanks Mike, i'll be sure to let you know what's going on. It's like a big surprise. I don't want to bug him but it is my money right? Jim

jcolson, I have a 2013 Trike w/120r crate motor and I have the AIM 92T variable pressure plate with the SE Heavy spring and it holds it really well. When I had the 120 motor in my Ultra, had it broke in and preliminary Dyno done until I had some miles on it, then added the 2:1 Boarzilla exhaust and had it re-Dynoed with the results at 128/Tq and 129/hp. Don't know what it is at the rear wheel of the Trike with different exhaust but it sure runs nice.

I also have pretty close to 50 grand in my Trike as well!! Also have a V-Rod Muscle for my 2 wheel experience. Love both bikes for what they are!!

Good luck with whatever you wind up with, and ride safe!!

Roger

Hey Roger, hope you are having good luck with the 120. This will be my 3rd Dyno. Lou hasn't told me what exactly he's doing to my motor but said i'll have more torque than I had last time which was 108tq. Maybe he is boring it. I should call him but sort of want to be surprised. Wish I would've kept one of my other Harleys. Jim

Have pretty good luck with the 120r so far, however I do not abuse it or ride it hard. I have about 15K miles on the motor, but only about 5K of that is with it in the Trike. Although the rev-limit is set at 6500 rpm and I think I have had it to 5000 once or twice.

My biggest enjoyment is how guick it accelerates in general, but mostly passing in traffic between 60 to 80mph.

TORQUE is what it is all about with these Twin Cam motors, and you will love yours when it is all said and done. The cost will soon be a distant memory!!

Good luck and keep us posted!!

Roger

dyno, ed at 88.42 h.p @ 5000 rpm and 107.66 tq. @ 3200 rpm. with an s&s 551 cam.
the only thing I have on the spring is what I think is part numbers from Harley.
37951-98 spring
37903-90 release plate
hope that helps . helped my clutch problem a lot.

it has the high flow heads but im not sure about the rest of it. plenty of poop for an old fart like me.

dyno, ed at 88.42 h.p @ 5000 rpm and 107.66 tq. @ 3200 rpm. with an s&s 551 cam.
the only thing I have on the spring is what I think is part numbers from Harley.
37951-98 spring
37903-90 release plate
hope that helps . helped my clutch problem a lot.

it has the high flow heads but im not sure about the rest of it. plenty of poop for an old fart like me.

PN 37951-98 is the Screamin Eagle spring and 37903-90 release plate is the plate the clutch hex head adjuster screw goes through, don't know why they would have had to replace the plate since it is the same one as which came in yours from the factory.

PN 37951-98 is the Screamin Eagle spring and 37903-90 release plate is the plate the clutch hex head adjuster screw goes through, don't know why they would have had to replace the plate since it is the same one as which came in yours from the factory.

hummmm..... don't know just glad its fixed. still in court with the other deal. big mess .

I think I have the same spring. I have no problem with the hp & torq. there is plenty of that. My main issue was the oil consumption. Which was because the idiots kept installing the rings upside down. All I was told by Lou is there will be more torque than what I had. Will have to wait & see. I might not notice a big difference. I'm thinking of that Barnett clutch. How much was it? Plus the 480 spring? Jim

I think I have the same spring. I have no problem with the hp & torq. there is plenty of that. My main issue was the oil consumption. Which was because the idiots kept installing the rings upside down. All I was told by Lou is there will be more torque than what I had. Will have to wait & see. I might not notice a big difference. I'm thinking of that Barnett clutch. How much was it? Plus the 480 spring? Jim

Found the Barnett extra plate kit for $139.53 with free shipping at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Barnett-Extra-Plate-Clutch-Kit/dp/B000GZT3U2

Hey Mike, found out today what cam I'm getting. He's putting in the Andrews 48. I had the 259E before which really sounded good. It had an awesome lope. I've been looking at some posts on the 2 wheelers and everyone really likes this cam. But they said you couldn't tell there was a cam in it. That's a let down. But they say it really pulls. I saw the S&S crank with the rods installed from the factory. Good looking set up. I asked Lou about welding & plugging and he said you don't have to do that on the new ones. I looked at the cylinder walls and you could see piston slap on both sides. He said the piston gap was .005 & max is .006. So when the dealership put the new jugs on they didn't get the clearance right. That new crank set up is awesome & the rods even have side play like it should,imagine that!!! Somebody knows how to make something right. He is going to bore the jugs .005 over with new pistons. I wonder if there is anyone in here with the 48 cam in their trike & how they like it? Jim

Hey Mike, found out today what cam I'm getting. He's putting in the Andrews 48. I had the 259E before which really sounded good. It had an awesome lope. I've been looking at some posts on the 2 wheelers and everyone really likes this cam. But they said you couldn't tell there was a cam in it. That's a let down. But they say it really pulls. I saw the S&S crank with the rods installed from the factory. Good looking set up. I asked Lou about welding & plugging and he said you don't have to do that on the new ones. I looked at the cylinder walls and you could see piston slap on both sides. He said the piston gap was .005 & max is .006. So when the dealership put the new jugs on they didn't get the clearance right. That new crank set up is awesome & the rods even have side play like it should,imagine that!!! Somebody knows how to make something right. He is going to bore the jugs .005 over with new pistons. I wonder if there is anyone in here with the 48 cam in their trike & how they like it? Jim

I replied to your 48 cam post, I wouldn't recommend that cam for your application. Your making way more compression than that cam was intended for, it was intended for stock compression.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrArcade
Back