REAR ROTOR BOLTS REMOVAL

keikat2

90+ Posts
Jun 9, 2018
Forney, Texas, USA
I am presently in the process of replacing my brake pads and rear rotors on my 2014 Harley Tri-Glide. Seems to me, I remember reading or being advised about the possibility of "reverse threaded" bolts. However, I do not see any mention of "reverse threaded" bolts in the Trike Supplement Service manual when replacing rear rotors. Those of you who have replaced your Tri-Glide rear rotors, do the two (2) bolts holding the rear rotors and keeping them in their slotted caliper placement have "reverse threads"? I am asking before I attempt to remove the two (2) bolts since I do not want to over torque or possibly break them. Thank you in advance for you responses. Allen S.

So far, nothing has been out of the ordinary. I have loosened the emergency brake bolts, removed the left rear wheel, removed the two (2) mount bushings bolts (cleaned them), mount bushing pins (cleaned them), pad spring, brake pads, and cleaned the caliper housing. The three (3) things remaining are to remove the (1). remove the rear master cylinder reservoir lid, (2). push the piston back into the caliper housing (doesn't have two holes), and (3). remove the two (2) disc screws to replace the rotor. I just wish I certain the two (2) disc screws were not reverse threaded. Thank you for your response. Allen S.

Thanks Jack. Also, I believe if the two (2) disc screw bolts were reverse threaded, it would have been mentioned in the Trike Service Supplement manual. Additionally, I looked at the rear caliper piston and it doesn't appear to have the two front surface holes so hopefully it will simply push back into the piston housing. Thank you for your response. Allen S.

The only reverse threaded fastener on a modern Harley is the clutch hub retaining nut (all HD`s have had this feature since the 4 speed transmission days).

4 speed and 5 speed machines have a reverse thread retaining nut on the transmission sprocket retaining nut.

The only reverse thread bolt used was for the oil filter adapter on models that had the filter tucked up between the engine and transmission (some touring and fxr models, late `80`s IIRC).

All of you were correct concerning the normal bolt threads. I have got the two (2) rear disc screw bolts removed, have cleaned the disc mounting plate, and am getting ready to install the rear disc rotor. Thanks to all who quickly responded to my inquiry. Allen S.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back