Rear bearing mileage

The book says a minimum 25ton press to remove and install the bearings. Really? I guess my 12ton press won't do it.

I don't know if your 12 ton will work.

The 20 ton, seen in the video below, is what we have used on 10 different axles. Never had a problem.

btw, the Trike in this video is PosseRider's.

Kevin

I did mine using a 15 ton press. Installation was easy . Used a bearing heater, heated the bearing to 350*, dropped all the way on the axles along with the spacers.

After checking out the internet as much as I could about bearing installation, the bearing only has to be 150 degrees hotter than the shaft. From what I have been able to find the bearing should not be heated greater than 200 to 250 degrees F . Every hundred degrees you heat the bearing it expands it a thousandth of an inch. If I have something wrong here someone please set me straight.

Please educate me, Would not heating the bearing cause some of the grease to leak out?

I have heated them to get them off, I am NOT a big fan of heating them to install them

They are a press fit ( some call it interference fit)

They should not require heat to install if you have the right press and bearing fixtures

I have several sizes of splitters similar to this and have never had problems removing or replacing bearings

otc-1123_w.jpg

Well I Guess I was taught wrong. After 28 years in the Navy and 20 years working in the civilian world working on all sizes of motors, pumps, etc I always been taught by Tech reps, Bearing reps and those with a lot more education than I had, its's OK to use a press to remove bearings , not OK to install them . Take the chance of damaging the balls, rollers. Pretty hard to get the rotating element from a 400 horsepower motor onto a hydraulic press. Most grease that are in sealed bearing will start to melt above 350 degrees.

I have heated them to get them off, I am NOT a big fan of heating them to install them

They should not require heat to install if you have the right press and bearing fixtures

I have several sizes of splitters similar to this and have never had problems removing or replacing bearings

otc-1123_w.jpg

The last time i had to change the axle bearings on my trailer....I froze them in my freezer and they went back in with out any trouble ...

Probably as many ways to do bearings as there are pubic hairs on a redhead. Gramps taught us theres a big difference between industrial, marine,and agriculture bearings and automotive ones. There are cross applications tho. Shrink fit bearings can be heated but that dosnt always apply to automotive bearings.My goofy teenage buddys and I learned that using heat- on the wheel bearings of our Sportsters caused them to fail in under a year. I do use the freezer trick for install tho.

otc-1123_w.jpg

Well I Guess I was taught wrong. After 28 years in the Navy and 20 years working in the civilian world working on all sizes of motors, pumps, etc I always been taught by Tech reps, Bearing reps and those with a lot more education than I had, its's OK to use a press to remove bearings , not OK to install them . Take the chance of damaging the balls, rollers. Pretty hard to get the rotating element from a 400 horsepower motor onto a hydraulic press. Most grease that are in sealed bearing will start to melt above 350 degrees.

Well, if I wasn't confused before.......

I just have to decide which way I DON"T want to do it.

I dunno if there is a right or wrong way. I stick to what I was taught and it has served me

well

Your way sounds as it has served you well

This may be an eye opener for many

yes it will, you would do that if you were installing the bearing in a hole, similar to freezing a valve guide to install in a head

I have installed many many wheel bearings over the years with the exception of a trike. This my first.. I have always put the wheel bearings in the refrigerator for half an hour and a lot of times you can press them in the hole with ease. Any bearing the sits in a hole I have chilled down. Not much experience with press fit axle bearings, that's why I started this post.

I have installed many many wheel bearings over the years with the exception of a trike. This my first.. I have always put the wheel bearings in the refrigerator for half an hour and a lot of times you can press them in the hole with ease. Any bearing the sits in a hole I have chilled down. Not much experience with press fit axle bearings, that's why I started this post.

You are heading in the right direction with the info here, press fit axle bearings are a new learning curve but nothing to be afraid of

Once I have the bearing off I like to clean the axle mating surface with emery cloth, and be sure to wipe off any residue left, clean is a must for press fit

Good luck with your project and let us know how it goes

You are heading in the right direction with the info here, press fit axle bearings are a new learning curve but nothing to be afraid of

Once I have the bearing off I like to clean the axle mating surface with emery cloth, and be sure to wipe off any residue left, clean is a must for press fit

Good luck with your project and let us know how it goes

I'm hoping that if I dry ice that part of the axle it shouldn't be a big problem putting the bearing on. But I will let you know. Thanks again Jack.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grimpen
Back