Rattle noise

clo

Apr 25, 2012
Mesquite TX
aight since i purchased my vtx1300r with the motor trike conversion already on it, i have had a rattle sound, like it comes from the transmission area. i have not had any problems with the bike itself, it just drives me crazy to hear the rattle. the rattle starts in second gear al the way to fifth gear. i let down on the throttle and it goes away, but always starts when i shift gears. is it common on a trike to have the rattle?? warranty is out in a few days and i do not want to have problems later on because of it. any help is greatly appreciated!!

Make sure no heat shields on exhaust are loose. That almost drove me crazy until I stood off the bike cracking the throttle until I zeroed in on sound. Might work to track other noises.

I had a similar rattle on my V-rod trike last summer that no one could identify. I returned from a weekend ride, and while I gave her a good wash, I discovered that one of the heat shields was cracked through. Took that off and suddenly there was no more rattle!!!! A simple fix to replace that shield, thankfully! Hope yours turns out to be as minor.

Try an "experiment". The next time you hear the noise, put a little load on the handlebars, as if changing lanes, etc. If the noise goes away, it's the heim joints that mount the ladder bars to the motorcycle frame due to wear. When you put a side load on the handlebars like that, you're flexing the ladder bars to put a load on the heim joints, which is why the rattle stops.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grimpen
Back