Questions

molokaimike

150+ Posts
Gold Member
Mar 28, 2020
Surprise, AZ, USA
It's not a dumb question because it's being asked, but what is the issue with the M8 oil pump that makes people want to change them out. At 3k rpm mine is putting out 45psi and I have just under 13k miles on it. Also, what is the issue with the cam plate that is prompting a change out.

It's not a dumb question because it's being asked, but what is the issue with the M8 oil pump that makes people want to change them out. At 3k rpm mine is putting out 45psi and I have just under 13k miles on it. Also, what is the issue with the cam plate that is prompting a change out.

Yours is a 2020. So it should have the improved version pump…As far as the cam plate???

The early M8 engines suffered oil pump and cam plate probems

The early models people were switching out oil pumps from S & S, they lost faith in the MOCO to get it right, some of the S & S pumps did OK, but did not solve all of the problems on the scavenge side, this still caused sumping issues on some bikes

The MOCO went thru at least 6 ( I believe) changes to the pump over the years, along with some changes to the cam plate, cam tensioners and lifters

The last update I know of was late 2019

The early M8 engines suffered oil pump and cam plate probems

There were no issues with the cam plate.

The latest version of the OEM oil pump came out late in the 2019 model year, on engines built after 5/22/19 (I have no idea how to determine engine build date).

I have a 2019 Electra Glide Standard, build date was a month before the new pumps went into production, so as soon as the warranty ran out I installed the new pump.

The latest OEM pump costs about $150.

This pump is all you need, you don`t need to change the cam plate unless you like spending money on really cool looking anodized parts.

The latest version of the OEM oil pump came out late in the 2019 model year, on engines built after 5/22/19 (I have no idea how to determine engine build date).

I have a 2019 Electra Glide Standard, build date was a month before the new pumps went into production, so as soon as the warranty ran out I installed the new pump.

This pump is all you need, you don`t need to change the cam plate unless you like spending money on really cool looking anodized parts.

You put in the HD version of the new oil pump...which can use the stock cam plate.

For those of us that have installed an aftermarket oil pump, like this one HERE, it does require an aftermarket cam plate that flows better. This combo gives:

30% more pressure and scavenge gear volume over stock

53% more scavenge gear volume over stock

42% more scavenge volume through port sizing, matched passages and holes to the engine case

68% more oil volume to the crankshaft and connecting rod bearing

10-30 more PSI of oil pressure

Kevin

You put in the HD version of the new oil pump...which can use the stock cam plate.

Is there something in my post that you found to be incorrect?

This thread was not about aftermarket oil pumps and cam plates until you threw in the pitch.

My post was clear, all you need is the latest OEM pump.

If people want to spend a grand on a pump and plate more power to them, works great for those who sell them.

oil pump

I replaced my oil pump on an early model 2019. It cost about 1500.00 dollars I did not replace the cam plate, but did replace the lifters and adjustable push rods. I also replaced the plug in the bottom with the short one, I was starting to get a lot of oil in the sump about 12 Onces or more. Just to be safe and peace of mind, don't see any difference in how it runs. I used the new harley oil pump. Now I will replace the comp later this winter.

Thanks Dan, I stand corrected on the cam plate

This thread was not about aftermarket oil pumps and cam plates until you threw in the pitch.

If people want to spend a grand on a pump and plate more power to them, works great for those who sell them.

The OP mentioned both the pump and the cam plate so the thread is precisely about those items and Kevin's post was very specific about the difference between OEM and aftermarket.

Kurt

I was addressing the original question asked and your response.

Original questions: what is the issue with the M8 oil pump that makes people want to change them out.

Also, what is the issue with the cam plate that is prompting a change out.

Your response about the cam plate:

You are correct, there are hundreds of thousands of folks running the new OEM oil pump and the OEM cam plate with no issues.

However, I wanted to be clear for folks that are looking for an even better oil pump....the S&S and Feuling oil pumps are Not compatible with the OEM cam plate.

I've seen it a number of times where folks get a performance oil pump, not realizing they need to get a matching cam plate...then they are stuck with their bike apart until they get the matching cam plate. Was just trying to help folks avoid that pitfall.

Kevin