Probably A Stupid Oil and Filter Question

JTJersey

800+ Posts
Gold Member
Jul 2, 2021
Millville NJ USA
When I was having trouble with my first dealership getting my 10,000 mile service done I took the precaution of ordering HD's oil change kit, but I'm generally pleased with the new dealership who's servicing the trike now and the kit just sits there, unopened. Is there an expiration date for a Harley Syn3 oil change kit with filter?

Most oil companies claim a shelf life of oil to be @ 5 years, as long as you keep the filter boxed up it should IMO last indefinitely

H D used to own Eagle Iron parts ( Taiwan based)

The oil filters had a plastic cover over the inlet base of the filter, I liked that for longer storage on the shelf

When I was having trouble with my first dealership getting my 10,000 mile service done I took the precaution of ordering HD's oil change kit, but I'm generally pleased with the new dealership who's servicing the trike now and the kit just sits there, unopened. Is there an expiration date for a Harley Syn3 oil change kit with filter?

Five years if stored in an unopened container without any extreme changes in ambient temperatures ..Ie; not sitting on your back porch throughout the summer and the winter…

Or to be magnanimous just give it gratis to a Harley owner who’s on a fixed income and after spending forty grand on a Trike can’t afford the high price Harley oil and has to shop Wally World..

Getting back to the OP’s original post there is no such thing as a stupid question but …Occasionally there will be stupid answers…But hey it’s all in the nature of the beast..😉😉..‘I for one have been guilty of that more times than I’ll ever Amit to.. 😳

Five years if stored in an unopened container without any extreme changes in ambient temperatures ..Ie; not sitting on your back porch throughout the summer and the winter…

Or to be magnanimous just give it gratis to a Harley owner who’s on a fixed income and after spending forty grand on a Trike can’t afford the high price Harley oil and has to shop Wally World..
Bump…😁..

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back