Price for ex. warranty

Oct 22, 2012
Marietta Ga.
I went by the dealer where I bought my new 2013 T/G last Jan. to ck. on an extended warranty, The price they gave me was $3000 for the 5 year, this dose not include the wheel and tire which I have, The 3 year would be $2100 but they could drop down to $1700 if I bought it today, and if I wait much longer I would be charged a sir charge of $50 to $60 more.
Are these prices normal from a Harley dealer ? Thanks.

$3000 seems pretty high to me. I know they charge more if not purchased at delivery, but I think my 7 year was $2100 with wheel and tire.

The ESP can be bought anywhere...make some calls to some of the 20% dealers and see if you can get a better price.

I went by the dealer where I bought my new 2013 T/G last Jan. to ck. on an extended warranty, The price they gave me was $3000 for the 5 year, this dose not include the wheel and tire which I have, The 3 year would be $2100 but they could drop down to $1700 if I bought it today, and if I wait much longer I would be charged a sir charge of $50 to $60 more.

That is highway robbery. Harley has been building motorcycles long enough now that they should be able to produce a quality machine without needing an extended warranty at such a price. I bought a 2 year extended for one of my early Ultras but it was just $395.00 for two years additional. Had one claim and still had to pay 50 bucks if I remember correctly to "process" the warranty.

I have never boughten an extended warranty on anything I have ever bought, including my tri glide. I'll take my chances rather then throw my hard earned cash at an insurance company for something I most likely will not need. But that's just me.

Go to Kutter Harley-Davidson site Janesville wi. $1858.00 7 yrs

I have never boughten an extended warranty on anything I have ever bought, including my tri glide. I'll take my chances rather then throw my hard earned cash at an insurance company for something I most likely will not need. But that's just me.

My thinking too.

That is highway robbery. Harley has been building motorcycles long enough now that they should be able to produce a quality machine without needing an extended warranty at such a price. I bought a 2 year extended for one of my early Ultras but it was just $395.00 for two years additional. Had one claim and still had to pay 50 bucks if I remember correctly to "process" the warranty.

If you do all your own repairs, it might not be worth the insurance but just a reverse motor will run you $1180.49. That is about as low as I have found it. It retails for $1421.99, so it wouldn't take much to eat up the warranty cost +$50. I don't know what the labor is on that, but Harley charges $75-$95 per hour.
Or maybe a crank, or cylinder that some have had go bad would pay for itself. I know it is a gamble, but for many it works great.
Ride Safe
Ride Often !

I am thinking like RcSud and FRR, it is robbery at that price.
Harley has been at it for over 110 years now and should know how to build a reliable motorcycle, so what if a reverse motor retail's for $1421.99?
I never use it anyway.
I read a post here awhile back where one guy's radio had a prob. and Harley replaced it under the ex. warranty, and he was so glad he had it [the ex. warranty], he was told that if he did not, the radio would have cost him around $1300 out of pocket. ..so if a guy had both problems [radio and rev. starter motor], at a total cost to replace them at $2721.99...I guess you could say the extended insur. paid for it's self, my feeling is that's B/S,
The radio is prob. $300 max.[another acc. I have no use for] and the reverse starter motor is prob. around $150 max.
Anyway, I think I will skip the ex, warranty, and if I have a maj. problem I'll look up an independent dealer with a good name, JMHO.
Did not mean to ramble on, guess I'm just venting :gah:.

I just bought the extended warrany from Jim Palmer at Kutter Harley in Wisconsin. I live in Ohio and bought my 14 trike two weeks ago. I bought the 7yr extended warranty with tire and wheel coverage and since I bought it within 30 days of the purchase of my bike my total tax free cost was $1848.00. It was all done online and took less than 10 minutes. He emails you an electronic contract that you fill out takes 15 seconds you email it back he calls you right away and you give him a credit card number. He then emails you a copy of your receipt and contract and then less than a week later you get in the mail your actual receipt, contract and warranty card...couldn't get any easier. Especially since the price my dealer quoted me was $2574 plus tax.

Just like car dealers,there is a lot of play in the pricing of extended warranties. In a car dealer it's usually the finance guy or gal the tries to sell you all the extras, such as warranty,fabric protector,paint protector and so on. What I usually do if I want any added items like this is research there cost and add a couple of hundred for the dealer. If that doesn't work then see ya later. The way I look at it is they aren't doing me a favor I'm do them one,so give me a deal or some else will.

I am thinking like RcSud and FRR, it is robbery at that price.
Harley has been at it for over 110 years now and should know how to build a reliable motorcycle, so what if a reverse motor retail's for $1421.99?
I never use it anyway.
I read a post here awhile back where one guy's radio had a prob. and Harley replaced it under the ex. warranty, and he was so glad he had it [the ex. warranty], he was told that if he did not, the radio would have cost him around $1300 out of pocket. ..so if a guy had both problems [radio and rev. starter motor], at a total cost to replace them at $2721.99...I guess you could say the extended insur. paid for it's self, my feeling is that's B/S,
The radio is prob. $300 max.[another acc. I have no use for] and the reverse starter motor is prob. around $150 max.
Anyway, I think I will skip the ex, warranty, and if I have a maj. problem I'll look up an independent dealer with a good name, JMHO.
Did not mean to ramble on, guess I'm just venting :gah:.
I want to find out where you shop for parts ! I'm going to start going there !
Maybe that is all they are actually worth, but not what you actually end up paying if you want the part. I have seen the stereo sell on the forum & Ebay for around $500 used, but maybe I missed the cheap ones....... Might work for 6 months maybe forever, never know.
The independent dealers might be able to beat the Harley list price, but most take advantage of the OEM prices to set their own prices.
I think we all agree that if it is for a motorcycle the price at least doubles if not triple ! Especially on Harley parts ! For some reason.

Maybe that is all they are actually worth, but not what you actually end up paying if you want the part. I have seen the stereo sell on the forum & Ebay for around $500 used, but maybe I missed the cheap ones....... Might work for 6 months maybe forever, never know.
The independent dealers might be able to beat the Harley list price, but most take advantage of the OEM prices to set their own prices.
I think we all agree that if it is for a motorcycle the price at least doubles if not triple ! Especially on Harley parts ! For some reason.
I had my reverse motor replaced 3 weeks ago under warranty the bill was 1471.00 .

Sloufoot, I did not mean that I have found Harley parts for that price, I just think that's about what they are prob. worth. and again that is JMO.
Have you ever heard of a starter for any vech. that retails for $1421.99 except for a Harley T/G rev. motor ?
I like the motorcycle, would have nothing but a Harley, But I think after paying $32,000 for one, I think I have a right to run Harley down in some area's.
In my opinion I think Harley should have put the money they spent on research on that cheap little "tricycle starter motor" and that star wars radio and invested it into a real built in reverse gear.
I still think their ex. warranty prices are a joke, and we all have opinions and that's mine.
I guess I'm still venting, but I'll get over it. :D;).

Sloufoot, I did not mean that I have found Harley parts for that price, I just think that's about what they are prob. worth. and again that is JMO.
Have you ever heard of a starter for any vech. that retails for $1421.99 except for a Harley T/G rev. motor ?
I like the motorcycle, would have nothing but a Harley, But I think after paying $32,000 for one, I think I have a right to run Harley down in some area's.
In my opinion I think Harley should have put the money they spent on research on that cheap little "tricycle starter motor" and that star wars radio and invested it into a real built in reverse gear.
I still think their ex. warranty prices are a joke, and we all have opinions and that's mine.
I guess I'm still venting, but I'll get over it. :D;).

I understand totally ! The only problem is everyone wants to run their prices for everything like the mother company does at full retail. I understand a small mfg having trouble keeping prices down because of purchasing power, & automation. But there are so many things out there that really get to me also!
But there are things that I just can't find anywhere but OEM. That is where I hope to justify the warranty. Everything changes also if you go down on the road somewhere that you can't wait for someone to find parts for you. You need it fixed today to ride tomorrow thing.
You are correct on the prices for the ext warranty ! I can purchase extended warranty for a Trailblazer I have for 36 months for around $400. Or good to 100,000 miles.
I thought MOCO made plenty off their warranty, but I see it going up so the bean counters must be seeing people coming close to breaking even or better.
No way would I pay for the reverse motor out of my pocket ! A manual reverse would go on for around $1300. But it wouldn't go out again, & it is usable as a reverse, not just an assist !pepper

I got the 5 year warranty WITH wheel & tire coverage for $1072. I think they will get whatever you will pay them.

I think some people here are talking different time frames. The post above is for a 5 year warranty for $1072, but I'd bet it's 3 years in addition to the OEM 2 year for a total of 5. I paid right at $2000 for the 7 year (which I consider 5 year as it's 5 above the 2 OEM). If people are going to be quoting prices, it would be best to specify total years including OEM, or years in addition to OEM, so people can compare apples to apples.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddienorman
Back