Pic Heavy Ride Report - MS to Bella Coola & Back 11,000 Miles Heat, Hail & Bears

I'm at work but you got me itching to ride... Loving the pics and storyline. Keep them coming!!:clapping:

Thank you. Should be back on track posting up a report later tonite.

Really enjoyed the pictures. Thank you!

Thank you!

See?? Told ya.....

You Californian, you!!

:laugh: Thought about our conversation when I was typing that. Tried without the "the" and it just did not seem right. :)

Another fantastic ride report ... keep up the good work Kevin.

Thanks man.

Love it Kevin and Mary be safe

Glad you're liking it, and thank you.

what are you and Mary using for a camera? My friend took her Kodak with us to Nova Scotia and it crapped out on the 2nd picture. I'm trying to figure out if I want a gopro or a still camera.
Yours takes very nice pictures while riding.... could be what I'm looking for.

It is an inexpensive Fuji JX665. A couple of years ago the Fuji JX500 we had started wearing out (the button that you push to take the pic), so we stopped at a Walmart and got the JX665. It was under $100. This camera does let you adjust the shutter speed...that is needed to be able to get a clear pic at 60 or 80 MPH.

Also, taking a lot of pics is important...sometimes 3 in a row are bit blurry, then the 4th one is really crisp.

We also have a video camera that can take stills, but rarely use it for that. There is softaware for grabbing a frame out of the video...but those are not very good quality compared to the 16MP Fuji pics.

Did you drive the trike through the tunnel in the redwood?

Not this time, we've done that a couple of times on past trips.

COME on Kevin....I'm going into the DT's here waiting:AGGHH: I need my Kevin & Mary Ride FIX!!!!!!!!!!!!

:laugh: I'm back on track, should be getting Day 13 up tonight!

Kevin

Day 13

When we left the motel, we went down the street to the Back Woods Home Magazine office. Did not get any pics, but met some of the folks that put out the Magazine. Chatted about the history of the mag for a bit. We are long-time readers, so it was very interesting for us. Nice folks.

Leaving out of Gold Beach it is overcast, but still amazing views!

1%20leaving%20Gold%20Beach_zpsocqhbxbz.jpg

Most of the pics from the bike are while we are riding...for this one I pulled over and stopped.

2%20pulled%20over_zps9zmu2f84.jpg

All day long we were riding into the clouds and....

3%20riding%20in%20clouds_zpsld4bmcwe.jpg

...every now and then out of the clouds.

4%20out%20of%20clouds_zpsjibezkjd.jpg

We stopped at numerous places along the coast today...taking pics, enjoying the views...

5%20Scenic_zpspdtqrl16.jpg

...of which there was no shortage.

5%20scenic2_zpsksxiay8m.jpg

We stopped at Tahkenitch Lake for lunch. Picnic tables right down next to the lakeshore. Beautiful view.

6%20Tahkenitch%20Lake%20Lunch_zpsbba8qkti.jpg

There was no shortage...

7%20Fun%20Road_zps0vfr7qy9.jpg

...great riding roads.

8%20Fun%20Road_zpso46fpdhn.jpg

More in next post-

Day 13 Continued.

And another....

10%20Fun%20Road_zpssqphzuyf.jpg

If you like curves, elevation changes, corkscrews, click on this pic to make it bigger, as far as you can see, it is twisting & heading downhill! :)

9%20corkscrew_zpsjyhcfdfo.jpg

Then you throw in views like this, and I was amazed we did not see a bunch of bikes on this road.

11%20Lighthouse_zpsxa5ekkpw.jpg

Fantastic everywhere we look!

12%20Tunnel_zpsoeb1gdud.jpg

Looking back....

13%20Looking%20Back_zpsf5psseel.jpg

...and looking forward.

14%20Looking%20Ahead_zpsylr2dnpz.jpg

We pulled into a small town to get some gas. Next door to the gas station is a huge consignment store. Mary got a "good deal" on a few things and they are shipping them home for us.

Next door to the consignment knick knack store is a Cannabis Dispensary. We ventured in. In Oregon it has been legal for medicinal purposes for awhile, and recently became legal for recreational use. The dispensary cannot sell for recreational uses until the fall, but they are gearing up for it.

Was a bit of a culture shock for us.

15%20Dispensary_zps3ayxc2xh.jpg

Another pic of the coast before pulling into the city of Newport, Oregon.

18%20Coast_zpsthz3mijg.jpg

We took all day to go about 200 miles. :)

We stopped in Newport tonight. Tomorrow we turn east.

20%20Newport_zpsjzh5kvfz.jpg

Kevin

Yep ... it's a brave new world ... here in Colorado we're called the "Rocky Mountain High" for lots of reasons ... and way more than just the John Denver song ... LOL.

:xzqxz:

Thanks for the ride report, Great job and EXCELLENT PICTURES Mary!!!!:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Thank you!

Did you stop at the Sea Lion Caves just before the lighthouse turn-off?

I stopped, asked Mary if she wanted to check it out...she wanted to keep on riding.

Day 14

We left out of Newport on the coast of Oregon and turned east on the 20, headed toward Burns.

Our 300 mile day turned into a 400+ mile day...but more on that later.

Right off the bat, the road, weather & scenery were great!

1%20leaving%20Newport_zpsfih4kkg4.jpg

Just a perfect day for riding. :)

2%20Leaving%20Newport_zpsmpayrred.jpg

None of these "bad boyz" returned our waves. :laugh:

3%20Bad%20Boyz_zpsclrnogdx.jpg

Looking back, they were long gone in 30 seconds as we rolled east.

4%20Looking%20Back_zpsbxspfqra.jpg

The pilot in this bi-plane was having some fun!

5%20Bi-Plane_zps64yagkez.jpg

Rolled thru Lebanon, it is a retro town...

6%20Uncle%20Docs%20Lebanon%20OR_zps88alt8hv.jpg

...before the town ran out we stopped at this Napa.

For the last day the engine has been idling a bit rough. Not plug wires or plugs, so I picked up some Sea Foam and dumped it in the tank. Within a few minutes it smoothed out. Must have been some bad gas from somewhere on the coast.

7%20Napa%20SeaFoam_zpsspp2jskj.jpg

Dennis, the owner of the Baja Bug, in the pic above, own Teds Rats & Rods. Talked to him for awhile. This is a pic of his wifes' '53 Willys Jeep. Very cool.

Teds%20Rats%20Rods%201_zps4bb3n6it.jpg

This is a pic of his other "Bug". Totally re-worked with a V-8 up front!

Teds%20Rats%20Rods%202_zpslbc58hx1.jpg

Day 14 continued in the next post.

Day 14 continued...

Leaving out of Lebanon, we're still on the 20, and the road just gets better!

8%20into%20mountains_zpsghr81dxi.jpg

When riding "good" roads, I generally just putt along in the straights, but when I see a sign like this....

9%20Fun%20Zone_zpsjh3uoyxw.jpg

...it translates in my brain to, Twist The Throttle! :) ...

10%20FZ_zpsbap2js10.jpg

...it means, We're entering the Fun Zone! So glad the TG loves the sweepers and twistys!

11%20FZ_zpsipwzeg9b.jpg

Stopped to get some pics of Mt. Washington.

12%20MT%20Washington_zpsymipipn3.jpg

Beautiful emerald green lake as we are getting closer to Sisters, OR.

13%20Emerald%20Color_zps008cexkh.jpg

This pic confused me a bit at first...no windshield, then I realized this is one of those pics where Mary puts the camera way up high, above my helmet.

14%20Over%20Head_zpsjqmucl5p.jpg

As we rolled thru Sisters, OR, we saw a park and decided it would be a good place to stop and eat our lunch. We went to a picnic table near a stream...

16%20Lunch%20in%20Sisters_zpsmqwo3p05.jpg

...as we were eating, we realized that the pollen was coming down pretty steady (that's what you see on the table). By the time we finished, we were both sneezing, pretty much non-stop. We didn't stay long. :)

15%20Lunch%20in%20Sisters_zpskviy4zkf.jpg

That's all for now. Will continue/conclude Day 14 tomorrow.

Kevin

The pics and the oratory is incredible. It is truly like being along o the ride with you. I also followed your trip to Alaska. Thank you for sharing with all of us.

Another winner Kevin ... Mary provides the photos ... you provide the commentary ... I'm having Deja Vu of your 13 Alaska ride report ... and that's a good thing.

Thanks guys. Glad you're along for the ride.

Kevin

Day 14 continued...

Leaving out of Sisters we took a bit of a back way around Bend. It was a good road, along the way we picked up a Spyder. This next pic is at the end of the road...

18%20Spyder_zpshtxp9mkm.jpg

...He kept up just fine in all the sweepers and twistys. At the end of the fun he turned right and we went left.

19%20Spyder_zpsk8uzghxf.jpg

As we left Bend there were signs saying there was a town in 50 miles with gas, the POI also said there was gas in 50 miles. I had half a tank, so off we went.

20%20Leaving%20Bend%20for%20Burns_zpscjzzhk3p.jpg

The weather was nice, the road smooth...

21%20Toward%20Gas_zpsrvm6vgis.jpg

...albeit not quite as interesting after the coast and the mountains.

22Toward%20Gas_zpspytq4jz9.jpg

I was starting to get concerned about gas (I had promised Mary I would not run out, and have been good about filling up)...Finally! Here is the "town" with the gas station...

23%20Gas%20NOT_zps7kddjrji.jpg

There is a Post Office, there are some vending machines, there are other folks stopped, looking for gas, there is a sign that says GAS, but there is NO GAS! Gas pumps have been removed long ago.

24%20No%20Gas%20Pumps_zpsslnudhh4.jpg

I talked to some locals...they said there is no gas in the direction we are headed for another 80 miles. We've got no choice but to turn around and head back 40+ miles to Bend for gas.

25%20BackToBend_zpsaupszhgp.jpg

1/2 a tank might have gotten me from Bend to Burns (127 miles), but it would have been close...

26%20WeirdClouds_zpszcsixcev.jpg

...So now we are on the same road we just traveled, headed back to Bend for gas.

27%20Almost%20back%20to%20Bend_zpsptsmppzx.jpg

Day 14 concluded in the next post.

The last post for Day 14-

We stopped at one of the first gas stations when we hit Bend...don't remember the name, but it seems to be very popular in Oregon. We filled up with gas, went inside...there were something like 70 different beers, on tap, in the gas station!

28%20Gas%20amp%20Beer_zpsxsz1mo11.jpg

We are back on the road to Burns. Third pass on this road this afternoon! What is the saying? Third times a charm. We're getting a light rain....

29%20Same%20Road%20Plus%20Rain%20MIM_zpsprvq9lwf.jpg

...on and off. Here's a dry section, Mary hanging off the side for a different perspective.

30%20Making%20it%20interesting_zps7g2l5so9.jpg

Hey! I recognize this place. :) See where it says GAS. There is no gas there. lol

31%20Says%20Gas%20%20NOT_zpshdlzqa0v.jpg

Now we hit a patch where there is some heavier rain. This is one of the last pics before Mary put the camera away...

32%20Lots%20More%20rain_zpslyckewtn.jpg

...until we reached the other side and saw this rainbow. Camera came back out...

33%20Rainbow_zps0sxakw3b.jpg

...and then she took about 100 pics....

37%20Clearing%20up_zpsbow2xq8a.jpg

...of all the different cloud formations, at dusk...

38%20Looking%20back_zpsduabhmjs.jpg

...that were pretty spectacular. Would not have seen these if we had not had our 100 mile delay. :)

39%20Looking%20back_zpsmlmidnnt.jpg

This last pic, of the moon, was taken in Burns, as we were pulling into the motel parking lot.

40%20In%20Burns_zpsjs4el1k9.jpg

Was a great day of riding!

Kevin

Be glad you didn't have my wife on the back of your bike. I'm sure she would have told you fill up in Bend before you left... Then she would have bitched to no end about how she told you so, ad nauseum.

- - - Updated - - -

The beer--you should have told them you wanted all 70 of them--in one cup. Bet that would have put hair on your chest.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow. This picture reminds of stuff I've seen in magazines. You know where the road just fades off into the distance. Beautiful.

37%20Clearing%20up_zpsbow2xq8a.jpg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back