Pad wear

Oct 14, 2011
austin tx usa
Just changed the front brake pads on my 2008. The left side was worn much more than the right. How do the rear pads tend to wear by comparison to the front?

Gerald

Just changed the front brake pads on my 2008. The left side was worn much more than the right. How do the rear pads tend to wear by comparison to the front?

Gerald

How many miles on them???

In all my years playing with brakes I can’t remember when / if they wore even …? For a number of unexplained reasons one side can / will wear faster than the other…. So unless you just have only a few thousand miles on them, I don’t see anything to worry about..

Gerald

the right side front will wear faster than the left side front if you have linked brakes. the right side is linked with the rear. in my case i use the ffoot brake alot more than the hand brake so my right side wears more.

as far as the rear pads. iv'e got 25,000 miles on mine and the rears are close to needing replaced. but like i said i use the foot brake primarily.

Assuming that your brake system is still linked, rear brake pedal as well as the front brake lever will operate both front brake calipers as well as rear. With rear brake lever, this is why when bleeding rear brake system, part of the bleeding procedure involves bleeding both front calipers as well as rear caliper or calipers for trikes. Although front brake lever only applies pressure to front calipers, the left caliper is attached to the secondary master and when left caliper is activated, it will cause secondary master to activate and send pressure to rear calipers. Here is a diagram that explains this.

Screenshot_20221130_005254_Brave.jpg

Now as far as right brake pad, if I was to take a guess is that the right caliper is rigid and doesn't move where the left pad has a bit of movement to be able to activate the secondary master. Because it is rigid, maybe it experiences more force and increases the rate of wear???

the right side front will wear faster than the left side front if you have linked brakes. the right side is linked with the rear. in my case i use the ffoot brake alot more than the hand brake so my right side wears more.

as far as the rear pads. iv'e got 25,000 miles on mine and the rears are close to needing replaced. but like i said i use the foot brake primarily.

just got done pulling the rear wheels on my trike, checked the rear brake pads and according to my measurements. they are only down less than 1/32 from new. so i'm going to check them next winter. should have around 40,000 on it by then. and we will see. as small as those pads are i never thought they would last this long. but they are like the energizer bunny. they just keep going and going.

I play a game with myself:: I try not to use the brakes ( or as little as possible) ..When I know I have to stop at a stop sign, or I try to time the lights so I don't use the brakes, I let off the gas and just coast to the light or stop sign ..The less I use the brake pedal, the long'r my pads, will last...

I live on a side street, that has a stop sign at the end of it, and it's impossible to NOT too stop, or you go into the woods. (oh, believe me many cars have plowed into the guard rail and up and over into the woods, since I've lived in my house (38 years now) and i love to watch these folks that use the gas (speed'n) and then stop feet from the guard rail. Why not just coast, to the stop, not use brakes, and turn slowly???? Anyway i have over 70,000 miles on my bike, and have never changed the brake pads... Cause I ride smart!

Ronnie

1/13/23

, since I've lived in my house (38 years now) and i love to watch these folks that use the gas (speed'n) and then stop feet from the guard rail. Why not just coast, to the stop, not use brakes, and turn slowly???? Anyway i have over 70,000 miles on my bike, and have never changed the brake pads... Cause I ride smart!

Ronnie

1/13/23

The advent of automatic transmissions eliminated most of the smart drivers, especially young women and girls. They tend to stomp on the gas pedal and then they have to stop they then have to stomp on the breaks…. aluminate, retroactive, automatic, transmissions power, steering and power breaks and 50% of the people will be off the roads and the other 50% of people will be much safer….😉😉..

When my father died I inherited his Jeep pickup. No power steering. Could drive on the road but when it came to slow speed or parking couldn't do it. Shoulders are so shot I can barely wind up the windows in my Jeep.:Shrug:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JStogner
Back