One XM radio for my truck and my TriGlide

Jul 5, 2010
Minnesota
I want to get an XM radio that I can use in both my truck and my 2009 TG. So I am thinking along the line of using a radio like this one and a mount on the TG like this one. Am I wrong in assuming that the cord that plugs into the truck/TriGlide stock radios also provides power to the XM radio?

Looks like the waterproof case might work. I used a Samsung Helix on my Triglide for a while, but had trouble with the antenna cord staying connected. Was always losing the signal, and had to keep trying to hold the plug in the connection. Also had to have a cradle for the radio to plug into. Very hard to find. Wasn't much fun. Finally I just bought the radio module. Good Luck.

I use a "Delphi Roady 2" that I swap back and forth between trike and car. The good thing about it is the only wires are the antenna and the power plug. It "communicates" with your FM radio via a built-in FM modulator. No need to worry about Aux inputs or whatever.

The "Roady 2" can be found on ebay as "new in package" or used, but good condition. I've had great success with this model. The one you show may be fine also - I'm just not familiar with it and could not find the "hook-up details". Good luck with your project. ThumbUp

G'Day Mate... looks like the radio your looking at comes with a power plug to go in the cigarette lighter. if you wanted it wired off the existing stereo power you should be able to tap into that easily once youve got it appart. but it would be easier to just use the ciggy lighter in both vehicles provided they are both the same voltage (some trucks use 2 batteries and are thus 24V.
If your truck is 24V you can still buy a decent 24-12 reducer cheaply. then hook it to a second 12v ciggy lighter socket (cheap also)
i doubt this unit would draw much current as it doesnt have an amplifier at all by what i can gather.

So would I need an external antenna for either of the two types? I like the idea of the Delphi Roady 2, just not the price (yeah I know, 5k into my TG and I'm complaining about $50 on a radio!)

As I understand it (I'm no expert), small satellite receivers like these require an external antenna due to the (weak) strength of the satellite signal. From the pictures, both antennas look to be about the same in size - slightly smaller than a book of matches, but thicker. Looking quickly on ebay, both receivers can be found at a similar price - in the $50 range (+ or -).

Yes they both require an outside antenna. That's where I had most of my problems with keeping the antenna connected. It would work its way out of the connector and lose signal. Had to keep a big rubber band on the radio and the cradle to keep it connected to the power source.
Now I use the radio in the house and have speakers on it. Also use it to walk with, ear phones connected.

looks like they both come with an arial. easily hidden, i also noted that you can buy am extra arial so you could perminantly mount an arial in both the truck and the trike so it would be an easy swap over. i read somewhere the roady 2 was being deleted as it may cause radio interference to other radios, but i like the idea of it playing through the original stereo.
if the plugs keep falling out with vibration that would be a pain in the hind quarters.
does anyone else have this problem?
i would have thought they would have issues like that sorted.

When I ran an external XM radio I used to stash it in a 3 pocket windshield pouch and the antenna would set in between the pouches. I used a cable to connect it to the aux jack instead of messing with trying to pick it up through the radio. I've found in cities strong stations walk right over the transmission, something a direct connection to the aux input prevents. If a person wants to stash the antenna they can put it under the bat wing fairing of a Harley, at some point HD even included a little perch for sticking it on just to the left of the radio.

I used the Roady 2 between my p/u & bike for a while. In the truck, the Roady's wireless FM transmission to radio worked well. A few times I had to change stations because of a local broadcasters interference.

On the bike, I used ear buds plugged into the wired radio connection. When used this way, there is even a volume control in the XM for output, tho it is only 5 steps. I bought an in-line volume controller at Radio Shack that worked better.

I no longer use the XM, since Clear Channel pulled all it's programming (about 9 channels) last summer. They carried most all the talk channels I liked to listen to. If I want to listen to music I use my I-pod. It's $15 a month cheaper. :)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JStogner
Back