New front tire

I just came off a 1540 mile trip on almost new American Elite front tire. These are my observations, please remember I am not a tire expert. Rode to Death Valley, at Furnace Creek visitor center they said it was 106 degrees. The tire felt soft in the turns, but at that temp not sure you wouldn't expect it. Been close to that temp in Phoenix with my Avon and never had that feeling.

Rode over across I-40 corridor from Kingman to Holbrook in 35 to 40 sustained winds, seem to have no issues, except my sore shoulders.

The next day I traveled AZ 191/Coronado Trail the tire seem to take the turns solid, but I'm no Kevin or Kurt. The only issue I had was when hitting 10 mph curves at 30, if there was tar filling cracks the tire would slip. I never had that problem with my Avon.

I haven't any rain lately to test it in the rain.

I just came off a 1540 mile trip on almost new American Elite front tire. These are my observations, please remember I am not a tire expert. Rode to Death Valley, at Furnace Creek visitor center they said it was 106 degrees. The tire felt soft in the turns, but at that temp not sure you wouldn't expect it. Been close to that temp in Phoenix with my Avon and never had that feeling.

Rode over across I-40 corridor from Kingman to Holbrook in 35 to 40 sustained winds, seem to have no issues, except my sore shoulders.

The next day I traveled AZ 191/Coronado Trail the tire seem to take the turns solid, but I'm no Kevin or Kurt. The only issue I had was when hitting 10 mph curves at 30, if there was tar filling cracks the tire would slip. I never had that problem with my Avon.

I haven't any rain lately to test it in the rain.

Sounds like a fun trip!

Thanks for the report on the AE Front tire. Interesting observations.

I've never run an AE front tire.

Looking forward to this October in AZ. Hope to see you there!

Kevin

Kevin

Having driven in in high temps, your tip have worked. Going to order a oiler cooler from DK soon, it is the only cooling component that I haven't added. In the 106 temp the trike stayed below 300 degrees, which is good for me. As you have seen I run hot all of the time.

Not sure I will make the AZ gathering.

Kevin

Having driven in in high temps, your tip have worked. Going to order a oiler cooler from DK soon, it is the only cooling component that I haven't added. In the 106 temp the trike stayed below 300 degrees, which is good for me. As you have seen I run hot all of the time.

Not sure I will make the AZ gathering.

If you can make it would be great to see you.

Getting that puppy down in temps is hard at 106 ambient. The cooler will help.

Kevin

I got 12,500 on the Avon91 trike tire, probably had a few thousand more left, but going on a trip so on went the America Elite rear, reverse mounted, $250 installed out the door. Only have 60 miles on it, so far it handles ok, seems to be a little more sensitive to the crown in the center of the lane, but it’s early yet, running 40psi.

My Avon 91 had the vibration when it was pumped up to 40-42psi. At 38-39psi it was smooth, vibration free.

My experience, exactly!

Never mind,I decided the MU being 149 mm wide is cutting it way too close with lateral forces while turning… I will see about getting a 130/90/16 with a load rating of 74h. Heading there this morning with the wheel in my truck to drop it off.

Thank you @dkcustomproducts for the insightful information. I had never heard that whole reverse rotation deal. I went and had a Commander II rear installed. I've had really great experiences with them on my 2-wheel bikes.

I have been using rear tires on the front for over 10+yrs. And love it..

The thing that gets me is , the tires that I love are now no longer available BW502 .. GRRRRR

And yes I run them backwards.. And I do have to run tad smaller size. 150/70R-17 in stead of the 150/80R-17(OEM size )

But that's ok as long as ya remember that the speedo is a tad off now.. Not really a huge deal.

I also run 40 -42 psi in my tires in the front and 10 psi less in the rears..

I use to run the lowers psi.. But in all honestly the bike handles so much better in the higher psi for me..:Shrug:

My Valks are my work horses..

Yes they are but the DOT stamps are 5+ yrs old..

And lets face it I'm not going to pay that kind of crazy price for a hardened rubber tire..

At the age of the tires out there , even old new .. It's not worth it..

Now if they were 98 bucks I might consider using one..

I just had some one offer me a BW at a not too bad a price .

That I think I'll pass on as the date stamp was 7 yrs ago !

I had a set of GY triple tread ordered when Sears was still around .

And the tires were 8 yrs old and 10 yrs .. I felt that rubber and told Sears NO thank you..

And the tires were so miss matched.

When they felt the tires they agreed and said they were very sorry .

And he was ashamed to even roll them out of the back..

And he said they need to check them DOT's on the tires better.

And a person shouldn't pay top dollar for old new tires..

Sorry for the long post

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JStogner
Back