Mt. Rushmore

Made the trip years ago....Mt Rushmore was cool -the ride to actually get there was way cool - but I had a ton of fun at Crazy Horse National Monument. There is actually more to see there, and if even 1/2 the plans that they had then have come to fruition, there will be even more now! I can't wait to go back on 3 wheels!
Definitely check out Devil's Tower, too - remember the movie? Nobody actually climbed that bad boy! I tried....

The Sturgis Rally is over on 08/14. Room rates should go down after that. You can find maps of the Black Hills just about anywhere. Do the Needles and Iron Mountain Rd for sure. Lots of great rides in the Hills. You won't do all of them in one year. I do Sturgis the week before the Rally, getting most of my rides in before all the idiots show up, and then meet up with a bunch of friends from all over the world during the Rally, mostly just staying put and partying. This year I may still be tooling around the Hills and points west for a week or so after the rally.

Hi, I live down the road from Sturgis SD.

I would suggest that you write Division of Tourism in Pierre SD and ask for information that you are interested in.

I think someone else suggested that you try and plan your trip after Labor Day. That, in my opinion, is very good advice. Less traffic, most tourist are back home cause school has started. I think you will find that motels may be a little cheaper and more rooms available.

Another benifit is you will miss the Sturgis rally which is sort of like going to the Zoo.

Have a safe trip.

The Franklin Hotel in downtown Deadwood. What a wonderful Hotel. Looking at the outside and the pictures of the inside on the internet, one would think, I can not afford this place. Well, think again. We were there in 2007 and that is what we thought. Cheaper than the rest and was totally pleased. We will, be going back. We both loved the town, the people, and scenery. So much to see in the area. The Needles, Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Badlands, Wall, Sturgis, the dinosaur dig. Too much to mention it all. And we found the gold shops were very pleasing to the wallet. And the traffic was not that bad either.

From your direction, I would recommend going up through Alliance, NE and detouring off to see "Carhenge". It's like Stonehenge but with cars. Google it. Custer is a nice town and passes buffalo as you head to Mt. Rushmore from the South (nice side profile of G. Washington's head). I think I also forgot Crazyhorse monument. Every other location everyone else mentioned is also worth looks. I have ridden out 8 times to Sturgis (been 10 years since I have been there).

Whats wrong with Wall Drug....
I had a blast... It was exactally what I expected...
A BIG kitchy (sp) tourist trap, WITH AN EXCEPTIONAL Hot roast beef sandwich, and homade ice cream....

Oh yes and LOTS of FREE Ice cold water...
But yes it is a tacky tourist trap.... but a LOT of fun!!!

:Agree:, nothing wrong with Wall Drug. My dad and I checked it out in 2008 when we hit the Badlands on the way to Hill City. Wall was something folks should check out, as you said the food wasn't bad.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back