Missing Texas

ultrafxr

1250+ Posts
Gold Member
Aug 21, 2017
Lakeland, TN
Since our spring GTG in Kerrville was postponed until the fall I've been feeling a bit of Texas nostalgia and viewed the photos from our trip to that wonderful state in early April, 2018. Now we've been through many parts of Texas several times but had never been 'to' Texas until this trip. I planned it for our little group of four couples and one solo friend. We began on April 2, 2018, and traveled to Baton Rouge where we rendezvoused with the fourth couple who traveled from Pensacola to join us. Now a cold front had just passed through and we left home with all our heated gear plugged in and were toasty comfy.

Next stop was Port Arthur and a visit to Janice Joplin's home and the Museum of the Gulf Coast. Wow very impressive. On the way to San Antonio we of course stopped at Cut 'n Shoot, Black's Barbeque and Gruene. Then a couple days in San Antonio and we were off to ride the Three Twisted Sisters. It was a glorious day but ah it didn't last as another cold front was coming through. We overnighted in Kerrville and the next morning it was a balmy 36 degrees. Ouch that's cold for April . . . or any other month for that matter. Then a visit to Fredericksburg and the Admiral Nimitz museum and of course a fabulous lunch at one of the local German restaurants.

On the way to Austin we stopped at Luckenbach of course and wound up our trip with two days in Austin where we viewed the bats flying from the Congress Avenue bridge - an unbelievable sight for sure.

We love Texas and especially the Hill Country and Austin. Can't wait until this fall when we'll have our GTG in Kerrville. Until then stay safe and hopefully sane if that's possible in these times!

Me too ... it will be two years since I've had any decent BBQ. :Shrug:

Well now Alan come on over to Memphis and we'll show you some really good BBQ - pork that is and it's my favorite. But I've got to say that Texas brisket is mighty good!

Since our spring GTG in Kerrville was postponed until the fall I've been feeling a bit of Texas nostalgia and viewed the photos from our trip to that wonderful state in early April, 2018. Now we've been through many parts of Texas several times but had never been 'to' Texas until this trip. I planned it for our little group of four couples and one solo friend. We began on April 2, 2018, and traveled to Baton Rouge where we rendezvoused with the fourth couple who traveled from Pensacola to join us. Now a cold front had just passed through and we left home with all our heated gear plugged in and were toasty comfy.

Next stop was Port Arthur and a visit to Janice Joplin's home and the Museum of the Gulf Coast. Wow very impressive. On the way to San Antonio we of course stopped at Cut 'n Shoot, Black's Barbeque and Gruene. Then a couple days in San Antonio and we were off to ride the Three Twisted Sisters. It was a glorious day but ah it didn't last as another cold front was coming through. We overnighted in Kerrville and the next morning it was a balmy 36 degrees. Ouch that's cold for April . . . or any other month for that matter. Then a visit to Fredericksburg and the Admiral Nimitz museum and of course a fabulous lunch at one of the local German restaurants.

On the way to Austin we stopped at Luckenbach of course and wound up our trip with two days in Austin where we viewed the bats flying from the Congress Avenue bridge - an unbelievable sight for sure.

We love Texas and especially the Hill Country and Austin. Can't wait until this fall when we'll have our GTG in Kerrville. Until then stay safe and hopefully sane if that's possible in these times!
Thank you for the ride appreciated especially now.:clapping: Stay Safe Stay Home and stay healthy Fred

I’ve been to Dallas a couple of times for my husband’s company’s Shareholders “Meeting”. We didn’t get to stray too far from the hotel though. We were supposed to go to San Antonio later this month, but you know...stupid virus. I’ve always thought that I would love Texas if I get a chance to really see it.

Jerry, do like NC BBQ ?? pulled pork on a bun with coleslaw on top of the meat . mmmmmmmmmmmmmm good

Well Bill I do like pulled pork sandwich with coleslaw on top but I don't like the vinegar sauce they use in NC. Much prefer the Memphis style pork BBQ. Come on down and try some. Yum, yum.

Not only am I missing Texas but now the H.O.G. riding rally in the Ozarks for early May has been cancelled. Oh well look at all the money we're saving by staying home, lol.

Well Bill I do like pulled pork sandwich with coleslaw on top but I don't like the vinegar sauce they use in NC. Much prefer the Memphis style pork BBQ. Come on down and try some. Yum, yum.

I don't care for coleslaw and I really do not like the vinegar sauce. My brother lived in NC for many years, so when he came to Texas he had to have BBQ, Tex-Mex and Chicken Fried Steak. Not necessarily in that order and not on the same day. I took him to a place that has Chicken Fried Rib Eye which he really enjoyed.

I have been to Memphis several times, I agree the BBQ there is really tasty.

More on Texas, trying to help out, cheer you up. This monument is located on Rt 11 just off I-81 at Exit 195 in Va at Timber Ridge, north of Lexington. It's made of pink granite imported from … Texas. It was put there in the 1980s, I recall it being set but I was "away" then or I would have been there for sure. I drive by this about every time I go anywhere, other troopers and I used to get to go orders and have picnics there in the shade at designated lunch times if the day was just really nice. I took pictures of it several times over the years.

Attachments

• DSC_0453 640w.jpg
    DSC_0453 640w.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC_5829 (800x571).jpg
    DSC_5829 (800x571).jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC_5832 (800x433) (2).jpg
    DSC_5832 (800x433) (2).jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

Les..

One little correction... the substance is granite..not marble. But that’s ok... this Texan is happy to cut a little slack for another Texan,,

I recognize the look of that “rock” anywhere. Here’s a little excerpt from an article that further defines how revered Texans hold this rock..

Originally, planners for the Texas capitol wanted it to have a limestone exterior, but the limestone chosen had high levels of iron pyrite, which rusted when exposed to moisture and air. The owners of Granite Mountain’s quarries offered to donate Texas pink granite to the construction of the capitol in exchange for a rail line to be built to the quarries. This resulted in the extension of a narrow-gauge railroad from Austin to Granite Mountain. Over the

Though at the time it may have been called Texas pink granite, the state capitol actually does not use true pink granite. Since the amount of feldspar in granite affects its hue, many shades of pink and red exist. The Texas capitol is made of what is known today as sunset red granite. But, don’t let the change in color description affect your appreciation for the long history of the granite’s formation and its journey through the Hill Country to the capitol.

Les..

One little correction...
the substance is granite...not marble. But that’s ok... this Texan is happy to cut a little slack for another Texan,,

I recognize the look of that “rock” anywhere. Here’s a little excerpt from an article that further defines how revered Texans hold this rock..

Originally, planners for the Texas capitol wanted it to have a limestone exterior, but the limestone chosen had high levels of iron pyrite, which rusted when exposed to moisture and air. The owners of Granite Mountain’s quarries offered to donate Texas pink granite to the construction of the capitol in exchange for a rail line to be built to the quarries. This resulted in the extension of a narrow-gauge railroad from Austin to Granite Mountain. Over the

Though at the time it may have been called Texas pink granite, the state capitol actually does not use true pink granite. Since the amount of feldspar in granite affects its hue, many shades of pink and red exist. The Texas capitol is made of what is known today as sunset red granite. But, don’t let the change in color description affect your appreciation for the long history of the granite’s formation and its journey through the Hill Country to the capitol.

And I knew that, just a slipup on my part. Thanks.

In 2005 when I was visiting the San Jacinto memorial, lady asked us where we were visiting from, I told her and I told her of the wayside and "Houstons" living here, of Sam's pictures in the court house, etc … she asked me "Is he as ugly in those pictures as he is in our's?" What is one to reply with? :laugh: "About the same" I said.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JStogner
Back