Missing "O" rings Motor Trike rear end

2005 Spyder 2+2 straight axle

This weekend I replaced my slightly leaky real axle seal on my Motor Trike spyder 2+5 2005 kit.

I followed the instructions carefully.

However there was one hiccup.

The service manual states (Kjix) that there should be an "O" ring on the ends of the driveshaft where the "C" clip holds the axle in the differential.

I HAD NO SUCH "O" ring.

Should I order some "O" rings and tear it all apart again to install them.

Should I not ride the trike until I install these "O" rings.

Seems like i have been riding it for the past 14 years and havent had any issue that I should be ok now...

What say you all

2005 Spyder 2+2 straight axleThe service manual states (Kjix) that there should be an "O" ring on the ends of the driveshaft where the "C" clip holds the axle in the differential.

I HAD NO SUCH "O" ring.
All C-clip retained axles I ever fooled with …. you opened the rear up, removed the cross shaft and the two spider gears, then push the axles inward and pulled the C-clips, then you could pull the axles out.

To reinstall, slip axles in all the way, then put C-clips on inner end in grooves, then move axles out a bit and side or "axle" gears surrounded the C-clips, then reinstall spider gears and cross shaft …. thus trapping the C-clips in place.

Never saw one with O-rings there?

I gotta stay tuned to this thread, I've missed something, what is a Spyder 2 x 2? Guess if don't know, I can't add much to the discussion. Just trying to learn something here.

2005 Spyder 2+2 straight axle

This weekend I replaced my slightly leaky real axle seal on my spyder 2+5 2005 kit.

I followed the instructions carefully.

However there was one hiccup.

The service manual states (Kjix) that there should be an "O" ring on the ends of the driveshaft where the "C" clip holds the axle in the differential.

I HAD NO SUCH "O" ring.

Should I order some "O" rings and tear it all apart again to install them.

Should I not ride the trike until I install these "O" rings.

Seems like i have been riding it for the past 14 years and havent had any issue that I should be ok now...

What say you all

Pretend you never read the service manual .....And then Forgetabout the 'O' rings...

I gotta stay tuned to this thread, I've missed something, what is a Spyder 2 x 2? Guess if don't know, I can't add much to the discussion. Just trying to learn something here.

The OP is referring to his Motor Trike "Spyder 2+2" trike conversion model. I edited the OP's post for clarification.

Ford has used this O Ring for many years on their axles as an assembly line tool to keep the C clip in place while finish assembling the axle cross to lock it in

Ford has used this O Ring for many years on their axles as an assembly line tool to keep the C clip in place while finish assembling the axle cross to lock it in

I can see how it would work to hold them in place on a assembly line where axles were pushed in in one step, then c-clip added in next station, then the overhead moves it to a stage where axles are pulled back out so side gears hold C-clip captive. Guess some C-clips dropped out and a robot missed it? Once the rear is assembled, there is absolutely no purpose for rubber O-rings in the assembly, besides, …. how would you ever know if they survived 5 miles or not? You wouldn't of course. Like cheap rubber bands, they'll eventually just be rubber dust ground up in gears.

I can see how it would work to hold them in place on a assembly line where axles were pushed in in one step, then c-clip added in next station, then the overhead moves it to a stage where axles are pulled back out so side gears hold C-clip captive. Guess some C-clips dropped out and a robot missed it?

Just got a im from motortrike... some axles had the o rings, some didnt... its ok if it didnt

Just got a im from motortrike... some axles had the o rings, some didnt... its ok if it didnt

The O rings are a plus to keep the C clips in place but not needed

In the Automotive end I have had thousands of rear axles apart and never had a problem with dropping or losing the c clips, Ford got it right @ the factory putting the O rings on their axles;)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrArcade
Back