Louder horn alternatives while also using Love Jugs…

hydraglide

150+ Posts
Dec 5, 2021
Woodridge,Il USA
Hey All… looking for recommendations and/or ideas regarding options for adding a louder horn in combination with using Love Jugs cooling fans.

I’m using the Love Jugs heavy duty isolator bracket, but I’m concerned that by adding a heavier, louder horn in place of the stock horn will add too much weight to this bracket and risk experiencing component failure.

Perhaps adding a new horn in a different location? (Such as?)

I’d particularly like to hear from anyone who has added a better (louder),heavier horn while sharing the Love Jugs vibration isolated bracket.

Thanks!

I have the LJ bracket on my Dyna but dont see the need for a louder horn on that bike. My 09 Sportster is another matter...pitiful meep meep horn. Im going to add a Wolo horn to it before I gift it to my little niece. Wolo makes several different horns and shouldn't be too hard to find a place for them on a trike.

I have the motohorn dual track. I have each horn mounted to my front top tank mounts. I do have the DK tank lift as well but have seen them mounted this way without the tank lift. I used the wiring recommended wiring method with a second relay and kept my stock horn and they work from the horn button. Wiring diagrams come with it.

This setup is supper loud. I can hear it with earplugs, full face helmet and going down the interstate at 70+ mph. It sounds like a truck horn. I will advise against testing them in an enclosed garage. LOL.

IMG_6486.jpg

I have the motohorn dual track. I have each horn mounted to my front top tank mounts. I do have the DK tank lift as well but have seen them mounted this way without the tank lift. I used the wiring recommended wiring method with a second relay and kept my stock horn and they work from the horn button. Wiring diagrams come with it.

This setup is supper loud. I can hear it with earplugs, full face helmet and going down the interstate at 70+ mph. It sounds like a truck horn. I will advise against testing them in an enclosed garage. LOL.

View attachment 109775

That is quite the set up.

If I used my horn more than once every few years, I would look at something like that.

If I did a lot of city commuting, I would probably get something like that.

For grins and giggles, I have thought of an air horn (trumpet style) off and on over the years.

Kevin

View attachment 109775

Interesting set up… I currently have the DK cooling deflectors mounted in those locations off the tank mounts, but might be willing to swap those out for these horns. Looks like they would clear my Love Jug fans.

You say they should clear without the tank lift kit, eh? And wiring instructions are included to keep the stock horn too? Hmmmm…(Wondering)

Thanks!

Interesting set up… I currently have the DK cooling deflectors mounted in those locations off the tank mounts, but might be willing to swap those out for these horns. Looks like they would clear my Love Jug fans.

You say they should clear without the tank lift kit, eh? And wiring instructions are included to keep the stock horn too? Hmmmm…(Wondering)

Thanks!

I have the DK cooling deflectors installed as well. These fit nicely under them.

They should fit without the lift. I saw pictures on their website where others had them mounted there. I have the 1.5" DK lift and they fit perfectly.

EDIT: They will fit without the tank lift. I installed them on the bottom bolt of the lift bracket. This is the stock tank mounting location on the backbone. They will also fit under the CD wings in this location. The horns have adjustable mounting brackets for a very wide variety of mounting options. I also ran the new wiring under the tank and to the battery just like factory. I have my trike here at work and just double checked.

Yes, they have wiring instructions to keep the stock horn and button. I had to use the alternate wiring due to the fact I only got a single honk from the horn, this will be the case on some models. The stock relay is not enough to drive them. The alternate wiring with a separate relay uses the stock relay to active the secondary relay. I bought a 10 pk of waterproof relays. If you decide to go this route, let me know and I'll send a relay.

That is quite the set up.

If I used my horn more than once every few years, I would look at something like that.

If I did a lot of city commuting, I would probably get something like that.

For grins and giggles, I have thought of an air horn (trumpet style) off and on over the years.

Kevin

I ride quite a bit in town at home and in Nashville for work. I got these after someone came over on me and I couldn't even hear my stock horn. I was watching them and already anticipating what happened but it could've been worse.

I have the DK cooling deflectors installed as well. These fit nicely under them.

They should fit without the lift. I saw pictures on their website where others had them mounted there. I have the 1.5" DK lift and they fit perfectly.

EDIT: They will fit without the tank lift. I installed them on the bottom bolt of the lift bracket. This is the stock tank mounting location on the backbone. They will also fit under the CD wings in this location. The horns have adjustable mounting brackets for a very wide variety of mounting options. I also ran the new wiring under the tank and to the battery just like factory. I have my trike here at work and just double checked.

Yes, they have wiring instructions to keep the stock horn and button. I had to use the alternate wiring due to the fact I only got a single honk from the horn, this will be the case on some models. The stock relay is not enough to drive them. The alternate wiring with a separate relay uses the stock relay to active the secondary relay. I bought a 10 pk of waterproof relays. If you decide to go this route, let me know and I'll send a relay.

Thanks Brian! I’ll be in touch if I end up going this route, which there is a good chance I will, especially after hearing your detailed installation breakdown.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back