Looking for a Builder near Eloy, Arizona to help me out !

Howdy, fellow triker's

I'm new to the site so please forgive my mistakes. I'm emptymag (an old gamers name. I was always running out of ammo!) I've been riding bikes & trikes for over 55 yrs. I'm 68 yo.

I picked up a VW some time back. It was a wreck, rusted out, beat to pieces, pulled the drive train. Had the engine rebuilt by a friend. Buddy of mine had a new rebuilt trans, traded for it. Had a VW mechanic flip-flop it.

Now the rough stuff starts. I have NO EXPERIENCE building a front engine trike. I've got plans from a builder in Michigan. I'm having doubts of my ability. Anybody know of any builders near Phoenix, AZ ??? Please. I NEED to get down the road. :)

Welcome to TT. American Bikes and Trikes in Gilbert, Az. is where I would start to look for answers. Check out their web site. Good luck..... Jim

Welcome from Sierra Vista, AZ. Most of the local builders I know have retired. You can try dropping Alex an email (trikers@btw-hq.net). He maybe able to help with a local builder, he lives just down the corridor.

Welcome to the forum.

Not to be discouraging but you have definitely chosen an uphill battle. Check out Rex's tech post for a lot of good information: https://www.triketalk.com/forum/threads/35579-Tech-Tech-Tech-or-So-you-want-to-build-a-trike

Also check out his over the top build thread: https://www.triketalk.com/forum/threads/22910-Anyone-else

Check out the local VW clubs. They are usually very friendly and have many usefull "word of mouth" contacts. I don't know about that area but Google is your friend. Here's a listing that I found for a start: https://www.earnhardtvw.com/phoenix-az-vw-clubs

As you proceed remember....PICTURES...WE LOVE PICTURES!!!! We have members that will jump in with suggestions for specific problems as they occur. A lot of good expertise here.

Yep....like said...an uphill battle.

Especially as there is nowhere to buy any of the major components. You will have to hand make your frame and rear suspension.

So what trans do you have? Swing or IRS?

Do you plan on using a drive extension?

Do you plan on running the fan and shroud?

If you want to load it heavy or pull a trailer you will have to use the fan.

I have built a hot rod one and it is a fun sport about. But is not a comfortable highway cruiser.

If you want a highway cruiser I would suggest long. Low, and wide.

And then if you want it to be mid engine don't use an extension and use a type 3 fan and shroud.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back