Indian Chieftain - Is it the battery, or other electrical?

Jan 11, 2020
Red Lion
I had gotten sick and hospitalized with some surgery. I was not allowed to ride for 6-8 weeks and realized I never plugged in my trickle charge. When I discovered this and plugged in everything seems dead. I can't even use my fob to unlock the trunk. Won't pick up any charging on the trickle charge either. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to Trike Talk

Always check the battery first. A fully charged battery should read at least 12.5-12.7 volts

After charging, let battery sit for 1 hour. Connect a volt meter on the battery. As you turn engine over the volts should not drop below 10.5. You can also do a voltage drop test by turning on the head lights then record the voltage. If the volts drop below 10.5 and continue to drop, the battery has seen better days

I have found that some chargers will not start a charge cycle if the battery it is connected to is completely discharged. You may have to hook a conventional non trickle charger to it set at 2 amps and let it slow charge.

I had gotten sick and hospitalized with some surgery. I was not allowed to ride for 6-8 weeks and realized I never plugged in my trickle charge. When I discovered this and plugged in everything seems dead. I can't even use my fob to unlock the trunk. Won't pick up any charging on the trickle charge either. Any help would be appreciated.

Rodney ; Welcome to Trike Talk-,,,:wave4:.....Your battery is so low voltage wise that a trickle in most cases cant charge it....You will need a regular charger to get some voltage in the battery then your trickle charger will finish the charge....Don't leave the regular charger on too long......Just enough to get the trickle to working......

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back