independent suspension kits.

Jan 10, 2016
madera ca.
I was looking at some irs kits for my 2011 tri glide. there not cheap for sure. I was wondering, do those kits have a differential like a car so in turns, the rear wheels turn at different speeds or are the set up like a straight axle. has anybody converted a factory tri glide ultra to irs and how to you like it?

The DFT kit is not like the TRIGlide straight Axle . IRS versus straight axle

CAll them or see the video may help with your questions..ThumbUp

The Tri-Glide is what I consider a short wheel base/narrow stance trike.
While I have not actually tested a tri-glide converted to IRS, I have tested a HD Ultra that was converted to a after market IRS conversion that was also a short wheel base/narrow stance.
While there was a noticeable difference, the IRS gave a slight smoother ride, I would not spend the thousands it would cost to convert a tri-glide over to an IRS rear end.
Having said that, if I were considering converting a Harley 2 wheeler to a trike, hands down the best ride would be the Hannigan. With it's extended wheel base and wider stance along with it's almost maintenance free IRS, it's the winner IMHO.
BTW, could you post some links to the companies that will sell just the IRS rears that would fit the Tri-Glides. Thanks

I was looking at some irs kits for my 2011 tri glide. there not cheap for sure. I was wondering, do those kits have a differential like a car so in turns, the rear wheels turn at different speeds or are the set up like a straight axle. has anybody converted a factory tri glide ultra to irs and how to you like it?

All street legal Trike's have a differential [open axle] straight or IRS, Or they would flip like the ATC'c of yore...
And would be illegal for sale....

V8 Chopper trikes have a 9" Ford rear w/limited slip differential. If the clutches aren't set up correctly,it can cause the trike's front end to "push" in corners.

ATC's did not have a differential. They basically had a locked rear end which caused them to act the way they did.

I think all the conversions for the Goldwings have a differential from autos. I do know the Goldwing/Roadsmith conversion my Brother-in law had was a ford Diff.
The DFT conversion for the TriGlide to IRS is a belt drive also.

V8 Chopper trikes have a 9" Ford rear w/limited slip differential. If the clutches aren't set up correctly,it can cause the trike's front end to "push" in corners.

ATC's did not have a differential. They basically had a locked rear end which caused them to act the way they did.

Yep i had 3 ATC's, My Sons and i ran them into the ground, Flipped them a few times, Part of the fun of riding them though the woods... But we were Men... Never once did we ever think of Suing Mother Honda!.. We didn't need the Government to tell us we could get hurt on them...

The Tri-Glide is what I consider a short wheel base/narrow stance trike.
While I have not actually tested a tri-glide converted to IRS, I have tested a HD Ultra that was converted to a after market IRS conversion that was also a short wheel base/narrow stance.
While there was a noticeable difference, the IRS gave a slight smoother ride, I would not spend the thousands it would cost to convert a tri-glide over to an IRS rear end.
Having said that, if I were considering converting a Harley 2 wheeler to a trike, hands down the best ride would be the Hannigan. With it's extended wheel base and wider stance along with it's almost maintenance free IRS, it's the winner IMHO.
BTW, could you post some links to the companies that will sell just the IRS rears that would fit the Tri-Glides. Thanks

http://www.lat-enterprisesinc.com/power-arm-suspension.html

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrArcade
Back