Ice chest

Jun 26, 2016
Fouke,Arkansas
Hi,I was wondering if anyone uses a ice chest in the trunk of their Tri Glide? If so what size/brand works the best for you.I was thinking about trying one out but still have luggage room. Thanks,David

Hi,I was wondering if anyone uses a ice chest in the trunk of their Tri Glide? If so what size/brand works the best for you.I was thinking about trying one out but still have luggage room. Thanks,David

We have carried an ice chest in the trunk on day rides where we don't need to carry much else in the trunk. The brand? Don't know - got it at Walmart. Chose the size on how much ice/drinks we wanted and also still be able to heft it around after it was loaded.
If the trunk is full of other stuff we just strap the ice chest on the passenger seat - neither of us carry a passenger on our GW trikes.
Have fun - LOTS of choices out there.

The only time I will really need one is a long trip with my wife on the back. I'm gonna look at Wally World and see what I can come up with. We did find some Ozark Trail stainless cups there that seem to work as good as the Yeti brand and are around $10. Thanks for the reply.

I use one of the Yeti soft side coolers. I use the Yeti ice cube with it and the ice last for a couple of days

This cooler has a leak proof zipper on it, we put it to the test with a full bag of ice and water and turned it upside down and left it for a couple of hours...no leaks

Very pricey...but worth it IMO

There is also another company competing with Yeti called Rtic with a lot better prices, but everything is backordered for months

I use a collapsible Cooltech soft cooler that I got 20 years ago. I think Igloo now owns them.
It folds up to a compact size and is easy to keep with us when we go shopping at local farm stands.

Bob :D

i have several coolers for the bike. three small lunch box igloo types and then one bigger one about twice their size. if i don't need the bigger one i just take a smaller one or two along. depends on what i'm doing and where i'm going.

On just day rides I use 3 Thermos insulated mugs. One in the handlebar holder and 2 in the side saddlebags. 2 hold my favorite drink(Snapple or iced tea)and the other holds ice. When the ice is all gone I refill at a gas station.
On longer rides I also have a soft side cooler, holds a 3 or 4 bottles and ice.

I haven't found a completely leak free soft side cooler yet, but I finally found (on Google) some guaranteed leak proof "zip lock" type baggies that I fill with ice and then put in the cooler. So far I haven't had any leaks. They come in different sizes. I can't remember on what web site I found them, but there are a few out there. AS Sloride said - they are expensive also. :D

i've never had a soft side cooler that didn't leak. what i did was turn it inside out and ran duct tape all over it and sealed it up. turned it back inside right and it hasn't leaked since. works well.

Well I went to Wally World and just picked up a cheap soft sided cooler with a hard insert. Gonna try it out tomorrow on a day trip to Natchitoches.If it doesn't work out at least I will have a new lunch box.

Well I went to Wally World and just picked up a cheap soft sided cooler with a hard insert. Gonna try it out tomorrow on a day trip to Natchitoches.If it doesn't work out at least I will have a new lunch box.
out

This is what Jim carries on his trike.
As I said, I can't remember the brand but it works just fine. The hard insert keeps it from wallowing out.
I carry a double-sided, soft-sided cooler I bought at the grocery store - it doesn't really wallow out either, I guess because it is double-sided. It's all duded-up with the Texas flag lone star and colors which is why I bought it.
Neither has ever leaked.
I am surprised at how well they have both held up and keep their cool.
Shopping for and trying stuff out like this is half the fun of equipping the trike/bike.
Its neat to find something simple and inexpensive that works out very well. :)
Hope yours works out great.

Well we decided to stay the night in Nachitoches.The cooler does a good job of cooling but leaks like a sieve. My soulution is to freeze a couple of bottles of water instead of use ice. It took about three hours to get home and the frozen bottles still had a little ice in them. I think I'm going to keep my eye out for something better later but it will work for now. Thanks for everbodys ideas.

Well we decided to stay the night in Nachitoches.The cooler does a good job of cooling but leaks like a sieve. My soulution is to freeze a couple of bottles of water instead of use ice. It took about three hours to get home and the frozen bottles still had a little ice in them. I think I'm going to keep my eye out for something better later but it will work for now. Thanks for everbodys ideas.

Like I said earlier, buy some of those leak proof baggies and put ice in them then replace ice as needed. They really are leak proof - guaranteed by the company. Drawback = a little expensive.

I also like the idea of freezing some small bottles of water = cheaper, but the ice/baggies can conform to different shapes = better coverage/less wasted space. I don't carry anything larger the a 6 pack cooler if at all. I usually stop often and can replenish my ice and drinks than. I do ride solo.

We have a little rack that goes in the receiver on the trike. When I first got on Trike Talk, a feller made it for me and I can't remember his name....( I've killed several brain cells since then!! ) I do remember that he advertised a dog carrier that he makes for motorcycles/trikes......he was outstanding to deal with and very prompt!! It holds a cooler nicely, it's held down with bungee cords that hook on eye hooks that are attached to the rack, works for us!!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back