How did you become a triker?

Cowardice, plain and simple. :blush: Always wanted to ride, but where I grew up "nice girls" didn't ride bikes - a moped maybe, but I wasn't having any of that!! ;)

Fast forword many years (nope, not admitting how many)....kids are grown, best friend is a MSF instructor, so I told hubby if I'm gonna do it it needs to be now. Took the course, had a blast, passed the test, and couldn't wait to start riding!!

Hubby had a "procedure" done - ended up with 3 stents in his heart, and out of work for 3 months. No money for a bike - heck, I didn't have money for a helmet!!

That's when I started "thinking" - I'm not a kid anymore, if I go down I'm gonna get hurt!! I have occasional bouts of vertigo, so sooner or later I'm gonna go down.

Then I saw a trike - hmmmmm, maybe? So I mentioned it to hubby, who immediately started looking at VW-based ones, and one from some German company that I don't even remember. Took me a while to convince him that I wanted a more "traditional" look - GW, you know?

Looked around, found a Harley triked for a woman that I really liked, but the place wouldn't finance. :( Looked some more, and found a GW & a Suzuki C90 trike - the engine size scared me though, so I ended up with a Suzuki C50/Lehman kit, and been loving it ever since!! Although I DO wish I'd gone with the GW or the C90 - next trike! ;)

Well this is more of a story of how a wife and husband became trikers.

My wife MJ had her first motorcycle in 1978 a Honda 400T. I have had motorcycles most of my adult life. We got married in 1968 while I was in the military. In 1970 in joined the FAA and we moved to Chicago. In 1972 me and the group of guys that i hung with all purchased street and dirt bikes. MJ called us the dirty dozen. I tried to get MJ to ride but she said no because she did not like to shift. She kind of jokingly said when they make an automatic she would ride one. Well in 1978 Honda made a 400T and I got it for her. She rode it for 2 years even took the girls to school on it.

We moved to Florida in 1980 and sold all our bikes before we moved. We did not ride for about 10 years. I then got back into riding. MJ did not and would not even ride as the passenger. I tried several times to get her on but she refused and said she liked driving the chase vehicle.

Fast forward to the fall of 2006. We were at Biketoberfest in Daytona on Beach St. MJ saw this vehicle in the window of one of the stores. That evening she said something to me that she thought it was interesting. The next day we went to Thoroughbred Motor Sports of Daytona meet Russel and Libby. They showed MJ the prototype of the Stallion and we scheduled a ride. We put a deposit and took delivery in March of 2008 at the Daytona Spring Rally. MJ loves her Stallion and being a triker.

At this point I am still on 2 wheels. Twice in late 2008 I had a very hard time holding up my Road Glide in the driveway. Also I asked MJ would she ride with me if I had a trike. She said she would give it a shoot. In November 2008 I ordered a Champion Conversion. I took delivery and built my trike. Have not regretted the change. Still ride 2 wheels occasional but I am a triker also.

real simple.got my first bike at 45 or 6.got my second at 50 or so.wife wasnt comfortable on either.couldnt ride any more than a couple miles,legs hurt from being cramped[she has diabetes].traded my bike for a trike[vw powered].she can stretch her legs out and be comfortable now.lots o fun:yes:

I started out on a 600 Honda Shadow in 1993. Loved it and rode everywhere. Had a accident on it but once healed I was back on it. In 1997 my husband and I both had some medical issues that forced us to sell both our bikes for awhile. In 2001 he bought a new Harley but I waited until 2004 which I got my dream Harley Low Rider. I did great for a month until a woman pulled out in front of me. I didn't hit her but I did lay it down and hurt my leg some. I tried so hard to continue to ride but I had developed a fear of other people and kept second guessing my own abilities that only grew bigger and bigger over the years. I poured so much money into that Low Rider that it hardly had anything original left on it. It was beautiful but continued to sit in the garage. I was obsessed with the desire to ride but also obsessed with the fear of it. I bought another Honda Shadow in hopes to get my confidence back up. A year later I sold it with only about 100 miles on it. I bought a Sportster (Nightster) in hopes that was my answer. A year later I sold it with about 130 miles on it. I thought there has to be something out there to give me back what I once enjoyed. I decided my last chance was a trike. If this didn't work I was giving up riding all together even as a passenger. So I traded my love, the Low Rider, for the TriGlide. I fell in love with it and put over 1100 miles on it within three months (took five years to put that much on the Low Rider). I don't want to get off of it. It was the true answer to my fears. It gave me back the confidence that I had lost and the fun that I knew I could have. No more obsessive thoughts, just enjoying life again! What a blessing!

I have been riding bikes nearly all my adult life. I enjoy the feel of the freedom, the wind, just the style of rolling down the highways on two wheels.
Back in 2003 I purchased a GL1800 and had it converted with a Lehman kit. The wife's MS was getting her balance out of whack, and that solved her problem. I had (and still have) a 2003 GL1800. Lots of riding thru the years for us. Now it is time for me to "expand" to the 3 wheel mode. I always loved riding hers. Just takes time to do these things.
I have decided to go with M/T IRS. It is in its second week being put together @ the plant. Soon, the conversion will begin. Can't wait to share more of the IRS with you. Gotta study up on how to do the pictures here. :yes:
I'd even be willing to leave a glass of milk and some cookies out if it would speed things up a little!! Ha!

I met my (now husband) thru a local biker group and we set a date for a group ride the following weekend. It had been many years that I'd been on the back of 2 wheels but enjoyed it very much. After a year riding with him I decided I wanted my own. I got my bike at a deal I couldn't pass up with only 470 miles on it. It's a '04 Shadow Aero and bought it in Feb. '08. I was planning to ride 2 wheels so during the winter we added the crash bar. Got up enough nerve to try riding it in the Spring. I tried twice riding it around the yard and laid it over twice. Never got hurt. My old hips and not much strength just kept me from holding it up. We then decided to get the Voyager kit and haven't regretted it since. It has enough power to keep up with the others I ride with and handles curves great without having to slow down much. I wish I'd taken this step many years ago!
I've now been riding a little over a year at 63 years old!

Last edited:
Some real good reading there folks..wow where do i start, well my mum and dad were bikers so i grew up around bikes or motorbikes as we say back here in the UK ;) so i started to ride from a real young age, well ive had truimphs , bsa, matchless, ajs and harleys etc i suppose im a petrol-head on bikes ha ha
and there is nothing more better at putting a smile on your face than sitting on a motorbike....:):) well there is the wife and she sure makes me smile..opps sorry back to the story...ok i was in the services , i got wounded serving...got shipped home well to cut a long story short i was retired out of the service's due too my injuries i found i could not hold a bike up very well so afther thinking about do i get a bike and a sidecar i thought i would give a trike a go so found myself a Harley had her done and guess what....the smile was back and ive not looked back over the last few years...love it ... so i would sure recommend one to folks....ok ride safe and smile...;)

Started riding mini bikes (home built) at about 7 years old, then moved on to dirt bikes. Over the years I've owned a Hodaka Super Rat, Honda 250 Elsinore, 400 Maico, Yamaha YZ465. But my street days started at 15. I got a little Honda SL125, road it on the street and off road.
Street bikes I've owned over the years;
BSA 650 Lightning (would give anything to still have that one)
Hondas-SL125-CL175-SL350-CB550-CB750-CBR900-and a Valkyrie.
Yamahas-650 Special-Fj1200
Suzuki-GSXR1100

In 2003 I became disabled and sold my 98 Valk. I never thought that I would ride again. But, some how, in 2006, I talked my wonderful wife in to letting me try to ride a trike. Since I have always worked on everything that I have owned, I purchased a 2006 H-D Fatboy and started the conversion. Well, it's now almost 2010 and it's still not finished. It is rideable, but don't ask when it will be done! It really doesn't matter! I love the planning and working on it when I can. Rides are few and far between and most of my friends and family, question my sanity. But as long as I'm able and my wife puts up with it! I'll keep plugging away, and enjoying every ride.

Great question, OR. I'm loving reading everyone's stories.

My own story is that I rode a scooter in college (a lonnnnng time ago), but then didn't get my own motorcycle until 2006, after taking the MSF class. I rode my Suzuki 800 for a couple of years, and I felt pretty comfy on it, but was having trouble holding it up when I had to put my feet down. I'm "height-challenged" to begin with, and my knees aren't what they used to be, thanks to many abuses, including several years as a naval parachutist. In August 2008, the Chief mentioned that I might look at a trike. Well, that was all I needed to hear--I took that suggestion and ran with it. In September, we met Bazooka at the Thunder Beach Rally in Panama City, and by the following spring, I had my gorgeous Honda VTX-1300 Champion trike.

And the rest, as they say, is history!

My wife no longer wanted us on two wheels.

I visited the Trike Shop of Daytona and fell in love with what I've seen...especially after talking with Dick, the owner, I realized that triking would be my next move. It took me a year of getting funds together and doing my own research. I came back to the conclusion that the Trike Shop of Daytona is the best choice...and I'm glad I did. We love this thing!!!

Growing up near a small town in the midwest i began to realize there was a shortage of bad bikers in my area, so to fix this problem at the ripe old age of almost 15 i sold my favorite cow & bought a used Cushman Husky. Fast forward a few years to a 900 kawasaki, loved to ride, but also to fish & camp. Never enough time for all, so being a fabricator I built my first vw trike, and a gooseneck trailer to pull behind it to haul my 1 man bass boat & camping gear. Then i was able to ride, camp, & fish all in the same weekend. Now I Build & ride trikes but always keep a 2 wheeler around for those occasions when i have the urge to live on the edge. Thanks all for the interesting posts. Caveman

Re: Learned the Hard Way

Hello, I'm new to the forum but this is a subject that is interesting to me. I am 58 years old, retired (semi) and started riding motorcycles late in my life. I first bought a Yamaha 250 Virago, went to the Rider's Edge course and rode the bike exactly 49 miles. Then I parked it. That was four years ago. A few months back, two of my friends came by riding motorcycles and began to tell me the fun they were having taking rides once or twice a week if the weather was nice. I decided that it was time to try again. I purchased a new Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 and added a lot of accessories to it. We took one ride of about 200 miles and I had a good time, but was never really comfortable on the bike. One day I decided to take a short ride and was returning home, when I made a turn and lost the bike. I laid it down and slid across two lanes of highway and finally stopped on the shoulder of the road. Lucky for me, there was no traffic. A couple of guys stopped and helped me get the bike off of my leg, and I thanked them and rode it home. Let's say that there was more damage to me and my pride than there was to the bike. After my wife found out, (she was out of town) she was not as excited about the new motorcycle as she had been. I also had no desire to kill myself on something that I was never comfortable on. So, I sold the bike and bought a new VTX1300R Motor Trike. When we got it home, we both mounted up and rode for about 20 miles and I knew that I had made the right decision. When I sold the motorcycle, it only had 254 miles after 5 months. The trike has almost that many in 5 days. The spill I took was a wake up call to me that I did not have the reflexes or experience to ride a motorcycle with confidence.

welcome aboard mag5049. Something to remember all that stuff you learned, most applies to trikes. Defensive driving and education.

MY first m/c was 1955 BSA 750 Super rocket which i bought in 1960. in 63 I bought a new 63 BSA super Rocket . In 78 went down to a Honda 550, and in 79 bought a Honda 750 limited edition. and also a 1000 Gold Wing. in 81 bought 80 Honda GoldWing Interstate. in 93 bought Honda Goldwing 1500 and 96 bought a 95 Harley ultra classic all 2 wheelers until Aug. 2010 bought my first trike 2010 Stallion.

I have been riding motorcycles since 1957. My Brother had a 1956 Triumph 650 and would take me riding on it. I watched to see how he shifted and one day when he was at work I took it for a ride. When he got home I told him I did it, good thing to because a bunch of his friends seen me and told him the next day.Anyway to keep a long story short. I tipped over in the sand and gravel a couple times with the wife on the back. She didn't like that much. We were always sitting still or trying to back into a parking spot and you all know what happens when you feet slip on the sand. She started asking about trikes and after several years of her begging I brike down and bought one. We both love it and hope to have many more years of riding together. We have been married over 46 years.

100_0793.jpg

Well been rideing 2 wheel for 39 years and duto physical disability cold not safely hold the 2 wheels up at stopsigns redlights ectera, and the not riding was just crushing me inside. I have built custom bikes and worked at dealers for years and my own shop briefly. so i pulled out the tools and cranked up the welder and help from my friends that have built trikes Im now own three.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddienorman
Back