How did you become a triker?

Had a minor stroke in Aug after buying my new 09 Ultra in March. I am not done riding yet, but felt uncomfortable after trying to ride after the stroke. So a trike is in my future. Wont be till next riding season though. Been off three months with the stroke and knee surgery, so money is a little tight right now. Still need about 3,500.00. before I can get it started.

I'd been riding 2-wheelers since 1970. Different bikes, different countries, a few close calls but never had an accident.

March 31, 2006, a 2001 Chevy Mailibu crossed 3 lanes of traffic to invite me to park my '04 Sportster in the side of the car. Totaled the bike. I spent 12 days in the hospital and 92 days in an in-patient rehab facility. You don't want the list of broken things I had. Suffice it to say the only part of me that didn't have damage was my head (thank you HJC!).

The Mrs finally understood that riding was too much a part of me to quit, even after the accident. The trike started out as a compromise; I got to ride and she felt I was safer on the trike. After my first few months on the trike I realized what I had been missing. It's amazing how much more enjoyment a ride can be when you don't have to deal with the "fall over" aspect. I kinda wished I had met the Chevy sooner. :) The Mrs even rides with me now whenever she gets a chance.

I started riding when I was 14 years old on an old Harley Hummer. Rode that until I was 17 and joined the Navy. Next bike was a 125cc Benelli which I converted to a Motocross racer. I'll be 65 soon and have ridden (and dropped) about every flavor of motorcycle. Had a pretty bad crash in 2002 (my fault) on a Shadow VT1100 and got a little skittish and didn't ride for a couple years. I bought a 2007 Heritage, rode it a year and traded for the '08 Ultra. I love riding the Ultra, mostly two up with Betty, but the crash is still in my mind and takes away a lot from the whole riding experience. My bike is now being Triked in November (still waiting for the kit to arrive) and I'm anxious to ride with the peace of mind that will allow me to enjoy it. Attached is a photo of the Shadow after I rebuilt it.

I just stumbled on to this thread. WOW, some great stories. I can relate to most of them in one way or another. My story is old and getting boring.
I hope people will continue to post on this thread.
Congratulations to all that had to overcome life's little set backs and continue to ride. Hope to see you down the rode:yes:

We are waiting with you Grey Dog.:D

Great thread!

I finished with trikes when I was 6. I was bugging Dad to get me a bicycle. Told me we couldn't afford one, so he cut the back wheels off my trike and made it into a bike! He said if you can ride this I'll buy you a real bike. I got on it and all I could do was ride around in a circle! But I kept at it and soon was riding up and down the street and challenging my friends to ride it. They couldn't! I came home from from school one day to a brand new red and white CCM! So it was two wheels for me from then till the teen years when things got motorized.

I rode mostly British bikes starting with an A10 BSA 650 then a couple 750 Nortons. Still have an 850 E-Start Norton. My latest two wheeler was a Yamaha RoadStar 1700. This bike was BIG. I found it pretty cumbersome and wasn't real comfortable with it. Had a few close calls at stops, almost dropped it. Talked about triking it. Ended up going off the road and totaling the bike and busted my right arm instead. Oopps! The arm is healing fairly well and the insurance paid out so I bought a 1500 GW Motortrike. I think it's great! Still in the wind without the worry of the bulk taking over and putting me down. You still have to ride like a motorcycle but you can relax a little bit. I even listen to my XM radio while I ride now. 50's on 5, just a'rockin'!:yes:

What more could a 60 year old kid ask for?

Bob

This is a great thread with a lot of interesting stories. We owned a HD Sportster back in 1979. I rode it for two years about 500 miles. I never got beyond a motorcycle being a bar hopper.

Twenty-seven years later we are getting ready to retire and thinking "What are we going to do?" I thought maybe a motorhome? NOT with gas at $4.00 a gallon! I thought maybe a boat?? I thought No, too seasonal! Maybe a motorcycle??? I started looking at HD and one day I ran across a Gold Wing Trike and imediately I knew that I had found my answer. A week later I joined GWRRA and the week after that I bought 1996 GW Trike. Two weeks after that I rode it to a rally , Wings over the Smokies in NC. I had found a host of new friends and we all have a common denominator. We all ride motorcycles!

We choose NOT to stay safe up on the porch waiting for our next bowel movement! Haha We have elected to get on a Trike and ride 70 miles an hour with the wind and weather blowing all around us. With all the excitement and thrills of being a daredevil but exercising all saftey and cautions that we can find to stay up on top of our iron horses. We know that we are on the right track when our family says you are "doing what?" I can hear them now saying "You are going to ride to Iowa next year and then to Yellowstone and then to San Diego!" And then the envy sets in and they say, "You must be crazy, You do remember that you are 65 years old right?" That is our crowning moment when we know that we are in the peak of our lives. Still doing what everyone else wishes they had the courage to do!!!!!!!

We have recently traded out 1500 for a newer 1800 and purchased a Classic Car trailer. Everyone that see's it comes over and takes pictures of the Trike & trailer and says, "That is the coolest rig I have ever seen!!" Now we are celebrities of a sort. It's hard for some to imagine that at our age we are having the best time of our lives. We have more good friends that we actually go and do things.

This was the best move of our lives!

I had always liked them from the time I saw my first VW conversions in the late 60's. Married into a family of nurses who had cared for too many 2 wheel accident victims so a bike was out of the question. Even had to turn down a BMW for a low price when the owner got transferred to Alaska. Anyway its 2005 and we have the money and guy down the road did VW powered trikes and we bought one in Viper Red. Love the rides, which are not frequent enough or long enough but we have a good time when we do go.

My story is not so different from many of the others here. I started riding as a young teen. My parents forbid my riding, so I had to sneak around and ride my friends' bikes. All the bad habits you can learn as a young rider, I learned. Got married, had kids, and riding (and owning) a bike was not a huge priority. Got a divorce and joined the Army and BAM, there was a bike. Continued to ride a variety of bikes. Ended up with a heart condition and was medically retired from the military. Still riding, until the wife and I went down on our recently refurbished Suzuki Intruder 1400. Both got hurt, but not as bad as it could have been. Waited a year and got another bike, but just didn't ride very much, because I wasn't that comfortable anymore, and the wife wouldn't ride with me at all. My brother-in-law and riding buddy suggested a trike. I laughed at him. I was still in my mid 40's!!! Then HD came out with a stock trike - and I liked the look of it. Started shopping for a trike - and saw many I liked. Vehemently argued against the Goldwing - just didn't think it was my cup of tea. Then the wife talked me into a test ride of the GW. 2 months later, the '05 Pearl Yellow Goldwing with '09 Motortrike kit was in the garage, along with the trailer the dealer had with it. Weather hasn't been great since we got it, but we still have put about 1500 miles on. Love every foot of the ride!

I AM 63 YEARS YOUNG AND I HAVE HAD 2-strokes FIRST ONE 3YEARS AGO ON LEFT SIDE COULD NOT MOVE FINGERS IN LEFT HAND, SECOND 11/2 YEARS AGO ON RIGHT SIDE COULD NOT WALK OR TALK.
in THE LAST 3 YEARS ALSO 2-TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENTS.
So I SAID TO MYSELF after I recovered by my own therapy that i always wanted a MC, so I took the riders course in CT. and received my MC lic.
I purchased a Honda 750 Shadow and had TWO close calls that SCARED the
S??? out of me, and sold it with 48 miles on it at a loss of course. All my life I buy HIGH & sell LOW.
Well I was determined to ride a MC and all my family thinks I am NUTS after my strokes and I say who cares. So I bought a Can-Am Spyder and rode it for 4000 + miles and just traded it in for a New HD FLHXXX Street Glide which I now have over 1000 miles on HER. Looking for her name on another post on this site. NOW WHO IS NUTS?????

Good Day
TrikerBOB;)

Such great reading. Guess I cannot resist adding my 10 cents. Grewup in Bombay with Uncles & adults riding such exotic machines as BSA, Nortons, Velos, AJS, James, Royal Enfield & on & on. And I made sure I got to pillion on each & every one whenever I could mooch a ride. First 2 wheeler was an 18th birthday gift of a 150 Vespa. Loved the darn thing. Much later on, ended up painting it powder-blue & giving it to my new bride. Next came a 1951 BSA B-34. "You sure you know how to ride?" 'Oh Sure!' I says with bluster.The Man above was watching over me that day. What a wild & scarey ride home. Oh, so that's how you change gears; not like the Vespa!! Thru the 15 years in the merchant marine there were Royal Enfields, Nortons or Javas waiting at home. Last 33 yrs Stateside have seen Kawasakis, Hondas, Suzis & Beemers. But always sport bikes & plenty of Track days. 2 bad knees & a spine that belongs on a corpse had my son (the apple never falls far from the tree!!) & my ever so tolerant wife suggesting "another option". What are you kidding? Real riders dont need training wheels!! Oh Ok, I'll rent a Trike for a day, but just to please you, Dear. Sucker! I was hooked! 3 more rental days & some judicious E-Bay surfing & I am the proud owner of a candy red, rarely ridden (4032 miles) 2003 GW1800 / CSC. Bought & paid for with delivery this Sunday. And, the Wifey has resumed riding with me again....:D

I started riding 2 wheels when I was 2, and I am telling the truth as all the people who live in the area would tell they always worried about me getting hit. So much for that and I bought a motorcycle when I was 18, sold it at 19 bought a nother one at 22, sold it at 24, bought a nother one at 27 sold it at 29, then cam the kids so I did not buy a nother one till I retired. Almost died over this one, as the wife went to ky. to visit family and I stayed home and when she got back I owned a 2004 fxd. then when she went to work 1 1/2 years latter I bought a 2007 ultra glide, I had to sell the fxd. Now on 10/31/09 I turned the ultra glide into a trike. Took pictures and as soon as I get smart and figure out how to post them I will do so.

Last edited:
What a great thread. We could start a book with this . One that every would be triker should read to help him/her get off the fence and take the plunge into trikedum. Also the sdie hard 2 wheeler that laugh at us don't know what they re missing. :D

I'm 45 years old and don't fall with in the demographics that most Trike manufacturers target, I just think trikes are neat. I followed my dads lead when he decided to get a 2009 Triglide I decided a trike would be fun to have around to keep my 06 Ultra company. I have to say I have to toss a coin on which one is the most fun to ride.

Very cool stories.I'm 60 and a few years ago my co-workers kept bugging me to get a bike. I've never owned or rode one other than being on the back a few times.I told them that learning to ride a 850lb bike at 57 was crazy. One of them said that I should convert it into a trike. I've never seen one on the rode and my wife was driving around town one day she saw a Goldwing and followed him until he stopped at home and asked where he got the trike.Well 3-4 months go by and after giving into peer pressure I went to the trike builder that my wife found out about and I come away with buying a bike and ordering a trike kit.I ended up with a Yamaha Road Star 07 with a Champion kit.10,000 miles later and I wondered why it took me so long to enjoy riding. I love being on that bike and of course so does my wife. Ken:yes::yes:

Just popping in to say , the most common comment is ( " Why didn't I do it earlier or Why did I wait so long. )

I started on motorbikes at the age of 16 in 1966, I brought a BSA c11 1949, then a Lambretta 125 Scooter, Royal Enfield Crusader sports, BSA 500 Shooting star, BSA 650 Super Rocket, AJS 350, Honda CB 500T, Honda CX500, Honda 750 F1, 1954 Sunbeam S7, Yamaha Virago 550, Kawasaki VN1500 Classic and then In 2000 I brought my present bike which I've since triked 2 years ago, a 1450 Road King Classic. we rode the Harley to Benidorm in spain for a holiday, the next year we rode to Learett de Marr in Spain for another Holiday.Then we road to Farro in Portugall for the biggest custom show rally in Europe, we have ridden through France a number of times also. Then 3 years ago My wife Pat started with arthritis of the spine and she had great difficulty getting on the bike, she also was having problems with camping in a damp tent(British weather) so 2 years ago I had the Harley converted to a trike and we have brought a tear drop type camper so we can carry on camping. So we are really enjoying life on the trike.

John.

Four years ago while travling out west and visting the cemetary in deadwood south dakota I droped our 96se and in the process my wife and I went off hard.If she had not had her helmet on it would have killed her.I jamed my left shoulder up making it hard to use.
After that I had made up my mine we were going to either quit riding or go to a trike.
We put the bike up for sale,but being late in the year we had no luck selling it.
We started looking around for a used 1800 trike,but had no luck finding what we wanted.
We even looked in to buying a new 1800 trike but to set it up like our 1500 it would cost over forty thousand dollars,even though we were offerd nine thousand for our bike on a new 1800 trike we felt like that was just more money then we could afford.So we had bikes-n-trikes of boggstown indiana install a lehman kit.Should have done it sooner.WE LOVE IT.
Because of my wifes medical problems this last year we sure have not got to ride as much as we would have liked to.
I will say one other thing if anybody does not beleve in wearing a good helmet,they should have seen my wifes helmet after she went off the bike when I droped it and we were just barley moving.
It destroyed the helmet but saved her life.Luckley she had a extra helmet with us.
ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddienorman
Back