Half Helmet Intercom sets

Feb 9, 2013
PORTLAND OREGON
I'm trying to find a half-helmet intercom set - either wired or bluetooth - that you can actually hear the conservation at highway speeds - 65 to 75 mph.

Seems to be everything I've tried so far works fairly well at low speed, but as soon as you get up to speed between the wind noise and the low quality speakers in them, all I hear is screeching and distorted sound because of the poor quality speakers.

I've tried Harley ones, they aren't very good at all.

I have the Sena bluetooth in a Bell 3/4 helmet and they also work good at lower speed, but at highway speeds trying to understand the wife is almost impossible because of the speakers.

Anyway, just wonder if anybody has a solution or know of a set that works good at highway speeds and has good speakers in them also.

I'm trying to find a half-helmet intercom set - either wired or bluetooth - that you can actually hear the conservation at highway speeds - 65 to 75 mph.

Seems to be everything I've tried so far works fairly well at low speed, but as soon as you get up to speed between the wind noise and the low quality speakers in them, all I hear is screeching and distorted sound because of the poor quality speakers.

I've tried Harley ones, they aren't very good at all.

I have the Sena bluetooth in a Bell 3/4 helmet and they also work good at lower speed, but at highway speeds trying to understand the wife is almost impossible because of the speakers.

Anyway, just wonder if anybody has a solution or know of a set that works good at highway speeds and has good speakers in them also.

Try J&M for the best headsets made (speakers and all other components!) Wife and I have 3/4 helmets with the J&M headsets and they work awesome. I as well went through about 3 sets of the Harley Junk and had these installed in Reno at the Rally. I subsequently purchased a Nolan N43 for the wife from J&M with the headset pre-installed by J&M.

The secret (if any for 3/4 helmets is to make sure the mic is just tucked up inside the face shield and make sure your intercom volume is set correctly. Ours is set to just a couple bars less than maximum.

I also have full face modular Nolan 103 with the J&M pre-installed that I purchased directly from J&M. I am extremely happy with the performance via the intercom, Zumo Roadtech GPS, and the CB.

Good luck as I fully well know, headsets that don't work "need to be left beside the road"!!

Roger

Last edited:
I have HD headsets on 3/4, modular and half helmets....all work just fine for XM music and CB. Thank god I don't have a backseat driver to listen to!!!!

Not sure if this will help. I use velcro inside\ outside this seals the hole on the ear area. Helps a lot. I use ed speakers. Lo cost with good sound.

Uclear headset

We use the Uclear HBC200 series bluetooth units bike to bike at highway speeds with no issues. We use them in half helmets with the earflap inserts for the speakers and in our full face helmets. Fairly pricey but then what isn't for the scoots.

I use SENA SMH-10 with noise canceling earbuds and half-helmet with no issues at 75 mph. Use it for intercom, music, GPS and phone calls.

Nuc

Okay, I finally got some time to do some pics of my setup. It's an HD half helmet with the ear flaps attached and a HD Standard Headset.

Here's a pic from the side to show the mounting. Notice the mike is in the "Stowed" position since I have no one to talk to and I won't answer the phone while riding.

Half Headset Side.jpg

Here's one from the front with the mike in the "normal" position.

Half Headset Boom.jpg

Here's one from the under side to show ear pieces, just stuck there via the velcro hooks that are on them.

Half Headset Inside.jpg

Here's one of the side with the helmet upside down to show wire routing, notice the white heavy duty twist tie holding the wires.

Half Headset Side USD.jpg

Music and Audio Books are loud and clear at 80 mph. I don't go faster than that so can't help ya beyond that. Volume is at about 3/4, the same as when I use speakers.

I have started wearing it all the time down. Huge change for me, but I get a lot less sun burn on my ears. My dad had melanoma so I figured I should be careful. Also couldn't hurt if I had an accident, although the statistics don't really bear that out ... no flaming please ... :D

Thanks everybody, especially FuzzyWuzHe with all the detailed pictures.

I think I've decided to go with just a CB microphone. I like to hear my tunes from the bike speakers and hear the CB in the speakers. I also want to hear my exhaust. With the ear flaps on a half helmet, that kind of stifles everything. I'm going to look for just the microphone setup - wired.
Any recommendations for that?

I ordered one 2 days ago and picked it up this morning. Only I went with a J&M set-up. My modular is a Harley set-up so since my plan was for just summer use with the half helmet I figured get something less expensive would be good enough. Strangely the J&M is louder at the volume it was set at than the Harley set.

I haven't gone down the road yet though to see what happens then. It just maybe my ears aren't already beat by the wind right now like they had to be the last time I was on the bike. Makes since to me anyway. Getting the ear pieces wedged in, in between the shell and the foam was a bear though.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back