Getting really disgusted.

Not circuit breaker...

Hi, you've probably already tried this, but my reverse stopped working, and it is a simple circuit breaker and toggle reset under the seat, under the right side panel. Hope this is all you need to get it working again!

Got the trike back today. Bad reverse motor. The circuit breaker was the first thing I checked. Don't use the reverse a lot, just mainly to back out of a parking space (10 feet or so). Never use it to back up an incline. Just poor quality on Harley's part.

- - - Updated - - -

Wife and I are on our 3rd and 4th Trike. 3 Tri-glides and a Freewheeler. We have never had any problems with the reverse. We have ridden 2 wheel Harleys for many years, and do our best to not park where you have to back out, so we rarely use them. Some advise, DON'T use the breaks when backing. Release the button and let the trike coast to a stop. DON'T stab the back-up button. Push it, hold it until you are done backing, release it and coast, then stop. DON'T back up long hills or driveways. go forward, and let gravity back you down. When backing, give it a LITTLE gas, this raises the voltage from the alternator and helps the reverse motor. Look where you are going to park, and do your best to park where you won't have to back out. Always try and let gravity back you up.

If I'm not mistaken, the Can Am's use an electric reverse too, so you may have the same problems with them.

I weigh 245 pounds and my '09 Tri, and '15 Free have only popped the breaker once. Wife (130 pounds) never tripped the breaker on her '11, and only once on her '14.

Good Luck, hope things work out for you

Do everything you mentioned except adding a little throttle ti increase current from alternator. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

What were the other three service issues?

The other issues were: locked up front brakes left me stranded, fogged up speedo cluster replaced, tilt angle sensor was defective and left me stranded. paint on trunk lid was cracking. Local Harley shop took care of all issues under warranty. We're getting to know each other well

Mechanical Reverse and Parking Brake

Rhino, I want to ask: Do you use a mechanical reverse like the one from MotorTrike? Does yours have the electrical lockout that stalls the motor if enguaging reverse while the normal transmission is in gear?

I want to know if that setup will NOT allow the trike to start if the Reverse is engauged? And, if the trike's mechanical revers is engauged, how steep an incline could an enguaged reverse stand before rolling? In short, how would it standup to being used as the parking brake as well?

I am pondering if adding the mechanical reverse could also mean removal of the electrical reverse as well as the parking brake assembly. I see that as a better investment down the road if the electric reverse gives me trouble - and the parking brake is proving to be a pain now.......seems to need adjustment a lot....

Thanks,

Springman

Go with the Motor-Trike Reverse. It has the electrical components to protect you from being in reverse and any other gear at the same time.
Then, take the Parking Brake Assembly completely off the TG and junk it.
I've done both mods to my 2013 and have about 5k miles on it since. Park anywhere; no problem!
And if you need a parking brake, get a 12-inch length of 1.5 inch wide Velcro; have someone sew it together, back-to-back, and wrap it around your front brake handle and throttle grip. Locks up the front brake and you can't forget to release it. Pretty hard to activate the throttle when the Velcro has it locked up, too!
I've also removed the electrical "reverse assist" motor. Pop the 50-amp breaker, tape up the wiring connections well, and zip-tie them off to the frame where they are away from the exhaust and any moving parts.

Last edited:
Quick note on trike problems.

I have had a couple of issues with my HD trike as well , and yes they have been fixed under warranty. I was wondering if the mechanical troubles were just a harley thing so I started doing research. Man , troubles abound. Can Am, Victory , BMW, Indian, Harley etc. Recalls everywhere. Seems like trying to pad the profits by using the lowest bidder parts is really biting the manufacturers in the butt. Greed always begets problems. In the end they all should just build a better product with the best parts they can make or get and the product would sell itself on good reputation alone and profits would increase. Recalls would go down drastically and we could all sleep better at night. But in this world of corporate greed and profit rules all its probably not going to happen. I love my harley trike. Have no regrets at all about buying it. But I do think they could do better with some things like the compensator, oil pump, bearings in the motor etc. I will continue to ride it until the philosophical wheels fall off. I love HD motorcycles and hope they will be around for a long time to come.

I have had a couple of issues with my HD trike as well , and yes they have been fixed under warranty. I was wondering if the mechanical troubles were just a harley thing so I started doing research. Man , troubles abound. Can Am, Victory , BMW, Indian, Harley etc. Recalls everywhere. Seems like trying to pad the profits by using the lowest bidder parts is really biting the manufacturers in the butt. Greed always begets problems. In the end they all should just build a better product with the best parts they can make or get and the product would sell itself on good reputation alone and profits would increase. Recalls would go down drastically and we could all sleep better at night. But in this world of corporate greed and profit rules all its probably not going to happen. I love my harley trike. Have no regrets at all about buying it. But I do think they could do better with some things like the compensator, oil pump, bearings in the motor etc. I will continue to ride it until the philosophical wheels fall off. I love HD motorcycles and hope they will be around for a long time to come.

My first bike was a Harley......I have virtually always had one since (but, I have "delved" into an assortment of other throughout my lifetime too. And, I am pretty certain the bike I take my last ride on will be a Harley.....

With the above said, I have seen HD recalls and I have seen some aspects of HD design and engineering that I thought could/should be better.....But, I can say the same to varying degrees with every other bike I have owned as well....

Remember folks, HD is long since removed from the days when a group of guys started the company and they, like others, have evolved into another corporate animal......

Springman

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back