Engine heat tri glide

I feels about the same as travelling down the freeway with a crosswind. The only difference is now I have the "crosswind" at the stoplight and when going 25 mph with the fan. Wished I had the FCS fans when I was stuck in Denver traffic jam 2 months ago.

I must be missing something here. It looks like, from the pictures, that the 2 fans are mounted by the spark plugs. So wouldn't they blow onto your left leg?? Do the fans blow toward the engine or away from it. I understood it that they blow away from the engine.

I know the big Harley parade fan blows thru the cyl's onto your right leg. I agree with you on that Harley fan. I don't want any more heat blowing on me.

By the way the replacement tour pac spacers are working fine - after 800 miles up to Canada and back the tour pac is still tight as a drum. Did you find anything on the spacers I returned??

Screwball with the UltraCool the air goes under the motor. The fans have nothing to do with it, the air going thru an oil cooler depends on where the cooler is mounted, fans or no fans.
Oldtimer I did not have the oil temp guage when I installed the UltraCool so don't know the exact temp drop. I am very happy with it and don't have problems with it running hot now, keep in mind I also have the parade fan and run both if I am in traffic and its hot.

Gary, take a close look right behind the spark plugs. There's a channell that goes all the way thru. Also there's a channel that goes front to back. So the FCS fans force air thru the side channel just like wind running thru the front to back channel. Except the FCS keeps blowing even when sitting still or going slow. I just got home. Ambient is 103 deg. Oil temp was 240ish. Pulled into the garage and let it idle for 4 minutes while I took off my gear and put every thing away. Oil temp went up to about 250 deg. Without the FCS fans running, oil temps shoot up to about 270-280ish, sometimes higher. Wardspartswerks has a really cool website and there is a huge thread over on the HD forum on the touring sub forum. Worth a look.

OK, I must be really dense. I do not see any channels behind the fans. I do know there is an open space between the cylinders where the horn is mounted - is that the "channel" you're talking about? If so I don't see how the FCS fans blow air thru that space because they are mounted very close to the cyl. fins under the spark plugs.
I guess I'd have to see a set up in person to understand. :D

The H-D parade fan blows air between the cyl's out the right side onto your right leg(that is the reason I won't buy it).

The FCS fans are directly in front of the spark plugs so the fans either blow air directly onto the side of the cyl's. or if they blow air outward, away from the cyl's. onto you left leg.

Where am I going wrong? :Shrug:

OK, I must be really dense. I do not see any channels behind the fans. I do know there is an open space between the cylinders where the horn is mounted - is that the "channel" you're talking about?

Gary - Take a closer look behind the spark plugs. Behind each plug (towards the center of each head, not towards the rear of the bike), you should see a small square-ish opening that goes through each head and opens on the other side of the motor behind the push rods.

OK, I must be really dense. I do not see any channels behind the fans. I do know there is an open space between the cylinders where the horn is mounted - is that the "channel" you're talking about? If so I don't see how the FCS fans blow air thru that space because they are mounted very close to the cyl. fins under the spark plugs.
I guess I'd have to see a set up in person to understand. :D

The H-D parade fan blows air between the cyl's out the right side onto your right leg(that is the reason I won't buy it).

The FCS fans are directly in front of the spark plugs so the fans either blow air directly onto the side of the cyl's. or if they blow air outward, away from the cyl's. onto you left leg.

Where am I going wrong? :Shrug:

Read this thread, think you will find your answers there and answers to questions we have not thought of yet.
<O:p></O:p>
Built the best engine cooling system...again - Harley Davidson Forums

HD engines are designed to stop firing on the rear cylinder to cut down on heat

Very true. That helps the rear cyclinder, but won't the front jug continue getting hotter, faster since it's carrying the rear jug too?

As stated earlier, synthetic oil is the hot tip for stop and go driving.

Phu Cat

Gary, my leg was hot anyway, so hot air on my leg was never a show-stopper for me. I'm back running a big closed-loop tune right now (aka stock afr in the cruising areas of the tune) and not one hint of pinging. What that translates to is no spark retard events, which means the engine is happy with the fans, and I'm happy with 30-something mpg again. And I get to avoid the extra heat produced by a heavily spark retarded motor. It's all good in the 100 degree every day neighborhood!

Dennis, thanks for that link. I'm starting to understand.
John, I have to go out to the garage and look closer at those channels when I get home.

Thanks all. :wave4:

Just put a deposit one one of the Wards last week...Since I ride in all kinds of conditions and after this brutal heat this year I figure it wouldnt hurt.

Tuning,header etc will be coming soon since the warranty is all done..

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back