Do you use the 'Lock' key position?

The forks don't lock with the EZ Steer kit installed on my GL1500 (Roadsmith conversion).

Something sounds goofy. My 1500 has 4 1/2 deg rake kit and I have no trouble with fork lock. Ever had it checked out or get a 2nd "opinion"? Mine's a MT trike, but not sure what that has to do with the front end lock.

I don't ride a Honda, but I do have a fork lock activated by turning the ignition key to the full "off" position.
I like to use it when travelling out of town, or parked in strange places I'm not really familiar with.

Let's face it, only the truly determined thief is going to manhandle a 1200 to 1300 lb. trike up a ramp and onto a flatbed.
We're generally not riding motorized skateboards. Most of our trikes are the heaviest beasts in the parking lot (on 2 or 3 wheels). The fork lock is a nice to have, but is almost redundant in the big scheme of things.

I only lock the fork when I leave the state. I live here in Ohio and we don't have criminals in Ohio. That is why my car and bike insurance is almost nothing. I've read where there is crime in other parts of the country and the world, but, of course, it is not an issue here. Cleveland and Cincinnati are especially crime free. That is why folks are flocking to Ohio and Cleveland and Cincinnati, and other cities are bursting with people, lots of tax dollars to provide services. If I locked my bike some folks might get the idea I don't trust them, and I wouldn't want to leave that impression with them. Someone might get "offended" by that suggestion, and I couldn't let that happen.

Thanks for all of the replies and here was one of the reasons from my initial question;

Maybe I should start a new post as I cannot seem to get my handle bars to lock. (See new thread - Cannot Lock Handlebars)

I very seldom use my lock because of fear of the reverse of this problem. I am afraid that I will be hundreds of miles from home and cannot get it unlocked. Those things get stubborn at times.

I very seldom use my lock because of fear of the reverse of this problem. I am afraid that I will be hundreds of miles from home and cannot get it unlocked. Those things get stubborn at times.

I had that very thing happen several years back with my 06 Ultra Classic. I was about 250 miles from home when the forks wouldn't unlock. The local HD dealer sent a mechanic to see what he could do, he couldn't get it. They sent a box truck with a lift gate and the 3 of use muscled the 800 lb bike from the curb to the lift gate and into the truck. They got it fixed at the dealer and only charged me the labor for the lock replacement.

Never thought about using the lock. Tried it today and it doesn't work. Going to mess with it tomorrow to see if I can get it repaired.

Never thought about using the lock. Tried it today and it doesn't work. Going to mess with it tomorrow to see if I can get it repaired.

I had thought mine didn't work either. You have to really pull the bars over a bit past the point you'd think they are at the end of their travel as you try and turn the key to the locked position and it will finally go in. Now with that being said, when you go to unlock it, you have to exert similar pressure on the handle bars to take the pressure off the locking mechanism in order to turn the key back. I rarely use mine if ever for that reason.

I had thought mine didn't work either. You have to really pull the bars over a bit past the point you'd think they are at the end of their travel as you try and turn the key to the locked position and it will finally go in. Now with that being said, when you go to unlock it, you have to exert similar pressure on the handle bars to take the pressure off the locking mechanism in order to turn the key back. I rarely use mine if ever for that reason.

Thanks. I'll try that.

The only time I lock the front end is if I'm out of town at a motel. I seriously doubt my monster of a trike is likely to be wheeled away during the daytime - where to? Up the ramp of a flat bed or into an enclosed trailer? Are the thieves really out trolling for trikes? I'm not in Miami or Chicago or Los Angeles - the probability is far too remote. And at home, it's garaged.

But night-time at a motel is a different story. I ask to park under the portico if there is one, and lock the forks. If all a thief can do is wheel it in a circle, it's not going very far. And it would take a crew to carry 1,300 lbs. I've been through a lot of states and never had a problem.

:xzqxz:
I only lock the fork when I leave the state. I live here in Ohio and we don't have criminals in Ohio. That is why my car and bike insurance is almost nothing. I've read where there is crime in other parts of the country and the world, but, of course, it is not an issue here. Cleveland and Cincinnati are especially crime free. That is why folks are flocking to Ohio and Cleveland and Cincinnati, and other cities are bursting with people, lots of tax dollars to provide services. If I locked my bike some folks might get the idea I don't trust them, and I wouldn't want to leave that impression with them. Someone might get "offended" by that suggestion, and I couldn't let that happen.

As I don't have a garage, I lock the handlebars EVERY TIME I STOP unless my baby is in site 100% of the time. Have found the parking brake on the Roadsmith to be very very ineffective. So, most of the time, I will leave it in reverse also.

I know this has two potential points of failure, but it is better than loosing my scooter.

Never:AGGHH: As a locksmith Ive been to too many bikes stuck locked for whatever reason over 40+ years.

However should I ever go out of town or have to leave it unattended for awhile.................maybe.
As I don't travel by bike or trike. Id say Never is more realistic for me.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back