Cleaning Tri-Glide Wheels

Jul 30, 2012
Dandridge, TN
Has anyone had any success cleaning and polishing the Tri-Glide Aluminum Wheels. If so what products and procedures did you use. I know that the best way to handle them is to have them chromed, but that is a expensive process. Thanks in advance for any help.

Get a good polish for wheels. It will take a lot of work. Even then some of the stains will not come out short of sanding the wheels. Anyway when you get them to an exceptional level have them clear coated.

I use Flitz polish, love the stuff and it doesn't take much. Apply it with a paper towel and rub it in. Buff it with their buff ball. I do it twice a year. After every ride I lightly spray the rear rims with a detailer and wipe off with a dirty micro fiber towel. Takes less then 5 minutes. Sometimes I do it every other ride. The brake dust is some nasty stuff.

I use Flitz polish, love the stuff and it doesn't take much. Apply it with a paper towel and rub it in. Buff it with their buff ball. I do it twice a year. After every ride I lightly spray the rear rims with a detailer and wipe off with a dirty micro fiber towel. Takes less then 5 minutes. Sometimes I do it every other ride. The brake dust is some nasty stuff.

I do exactly the same except after using the Flitz I put a good couple coats of a good carnuba wax. I keep putting off a clear coat of paint. But that is high on the list.
Love that Flitz !:Trike1:

I use the old Honda spray cleaner on mine. Seems to shine as well as anything. Aluminum is a bear unless you keep after it.
At one time I also used the Honda cleaner/polish. Some time ago, Honda changed vendors and the formula changed!
All of a sudden my dark red Wing was almost impossible to keep from streaking when using the Honda product!
Asked the Motorcycle supply store I use what was going on and they told me the above info and introduced me to the product I pictured above, telling me it was the old Honda forumla being marketed by the former Honda supplier!
Been using it ever since.
Wash my aluminum wheels and use it and they shine like new. My wheels are not clear coated.

After the wheels on my 2012TG got all stained (not pitted), I bought the H-D Anarchy chrome wheels for my summer riding and kept the stock wheels for winter riding. That way I don't give a damn about the salt messing them up. Yes it was expensive, but boy do those Anarchy wheels look great - especially with Wiley Shiney baby moon hub caps.

I originally bought a set of OEM wheels on e-bay to have chromed, but went with the Anarchy wheels instead. So if someone wants a set of brand new stock wheels let me know. I'll give you a good deal.

After cleaning them on the '11, only to have them stain and require constant attention to keep clean...on the '14 one of the first things I did was clear coat them with rattle can clear.

It's only been 3500 miles, but so far they just come clean with a wipe of a towel...less than 60 seconds per wheel to have them looking like new.

Kevin

I gave up after the first winter,11 T/G... I keep the Trike mechanically sound, But looking like i ride the thing. Every now and then I do get the urge to spit shine it 'But I've learned to get over that quick.. When one my Son's asks don't you ever clean that bike,
I just say A clean bike is an Unridden bike.. Besides they know where the soap and water is..:D

just to be clear, it's the chrome disk behind the wheel, not the fender skirt.

The picture changed. It now shows the chrome disk cover and a leather fender "bra". When I clicked on the link it showed a picture of a black "fender skirt" not the bra that's in the picture now. I don't know who switched the pictures, but I wasn't commenting on the chrome disk cover. I like those - unfortunately they won't fit my Anarchy wheels.

The picture changed. It now shows the chrome disk cover and a leather fender "bra". When I clicked on the link it showed a picture of a black "fender skirt" not the bra that's in the picture now. I don't know who switched the pictures, but I wasn't commenting on the chrome disk cover. I like those - unfortunately they won't fit my Anarchy wheels.

I think they would look better painted black, would make the wheel stand out better. I think the polished discs takes away from the look of the wheels (IMHO). When i get my 2015 TG, i'll probably just clear coat the wheels like others on the forum have done

I think they would look better painted black, would make the wheel stand out better. I think the polished discs takes away from the look of the wheels (IMHO). When i get my 2015 TG, i'll probably just clear coat the wheels like others on the forum have done

You have a good point there. I was thinking maybe red to match my bike's color.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back