Can I use CarPlay to use Waze navigation app

MB1953

450+ Posts
May 23, 2014
Peru, IN USA
I have a 2017 TG. I have had issues with the navigation since day 1... it seems to ignore the settings I give it, and takes me on roads that I tell it not to. I also have not had a chance to update the nav system, which from what I have heard, may or may not make a difference. I recently discovered the joy of using the Waze navigation app on my iPhone, and it seamlessly integrates with the CarPlay app both on my latest vehicle as well as every rental car I have used in the past year or two. I started thinking, it would be wonderful if I could get it to work on the trike, just haven't had a chance to experiment with it. Anyone out there tried this and if so, yes or no on the usability?

Thanks in advance

Have you changed your head unit? The BoomBox 6.5 which is stock doesn’t have Car Play.

i agree the stock nav system is worthless. The easiest solution is to mount your phone on the bars.

What he said - you must have the Boom!Box GTS which came out on the 2019 MY bikes to use Car Play. I use it on my 2020 TG and while I don't use Waze I have done routes using the native Apple Maps app and it works great but you don't have an option to modify the route although it will often give more than one to select from. For serious routing I much prefer my Garmin Road Tech Zumo 590. Hasn't failed me yet but the onboard Harley nav sure has. Don't even try to use it anymore.

What he said - you must have the Boom!Box GTS which came out on the 2019 MY bikes to use Car Play. I use it on my 2020 TG and while I don't use Waze I have done routes using the native Apple Maps app and it works great but you don't have an option to modify the route although it will often give more than one to select from. For serious routing I much prefer my Garmin Road Tech Zumo 590. Hasn't failed me yet but the onboard Harley nav sure has. Don't even try to use it anymore.

Almost afraid to inquire about the price of the GTS...

I have a 2018 Triglide. I wound up putting a Sony headunit on mine. I enjoy it more now.

Probably more reasonable...

I will probably buy a mount for my iPhone!

Almost afraid to inquire about the price of the GTS...

I have a 2018 Triglide. I wound up putting a Sony headunit on mine. I enjoy it more now.

Probably more reasonable...

I will probably buy a mount for my iPhone!

If I recall, the new unit is about $1900. Sometimes it goes on sale for around $1400.

My phone is in the trunk - ran a line from the cubby to the trunk

Car Play

Did you do anything special to get car play to work on your 2020 TG? I just bought one and having problem getting it to work

Did you do anything special to get car play to work on your 2020 TG? I just bought one and having problem getting it to work

I did when I got my 2020 TG. I was a Car Play novice but was following instructions to the letter and still having a difficult time getting Car Play to load and stay active. At that time (may have changed) you had to have a microphone active either with a wired or a wireless headset for Car Play to work. But there was an option the dealer could change through Digital Technician to not require a microphone. I had my Boom Box updated and that solved the problem. I have heard that this option is no longer available but I do not know for certain.

There are also some 'jumper plugs' you can get that may do the same thing. I've seen them on Amazon, motorcycle forums, eBay, etc. Here is one I found:

[h=1]TONRYCUE CarPlay Jumper for Harley Davidson 2019 2020 2021 and up GTS Radio for Road Glide Street Glide, White[/h]

Congrats on the new bike.

I take it, you have an Iphone. From what I understand, if you are using carplay on your bike, you must have a wireless connection.

Android Auto does not have that restriction. I have a 21 Ultra, same radio as you. I simply connect my phone to the USB and it shows right up, the same way it does in my vehicles.

If your headsets are wireless, you need to install the WHIM - just remember, once you install the WHIM, you can no longer use your wired headsets. Tons of us have wondered why this is the case.

So, I have a set of both wireless helmets (CardoPackTalk) and wired headsets. On local trips with just my wife, I go wireless. On group rides, I use my wired set so I can talk on the CB. Also, as an FYI, since I am using A, my maps still work with both wired and wireless.

Hope this helps

Congrats on the new bike.

I take it, you have an Iphone. From what I understand, if you are using carplay on your bike, you must have a wireless connection.

Android Auto does not have that restriction. I have a 21 Ultra, same radio as you. I simply connect my phone to the USB and it shows right up, the same way it does in my vehicles.

If your headsets are wireless, you need to install the WHIM - just remember, once you install the WHIM, you can no longer use your wired headsets. Tons of us have wondered why this is the case.

So, I have a set of both wireless helmets (CardoPackTalk) and wired headsets. On local trips with just my wife, I go wireless. On group rides, I use my wired set so I can talk on the CB. Also, as an FYI, since I am using A, my maps still work with both wired and wireless.

Hope this helps

CarPlay works wired with an iPhone. I use it on my 2021 Tri Glide. I use wired headsets, not WHIM.

I purchased the jumper below on eBay. Plug it in to the headset receptacle located on the dash (it must be this receptacle, not the one for the passenger in order for it to work properly).

Tricks CarPlay into thinking you have two-way communication operating should you care to ride without a helmet/headset.

Of course, if you do ride with the wired headset it works fine without the jumper.

The iPhone must be connected to the USB port located in the media cubby located on the right side of the fairing. It will not work wirelessly via Bluetooth.

Works great! The price earlier in 2022 was $55…now it’s $71. But it works, no need to disassemble the inner fairing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294204622254

Again, it will NOT work if you are using a WHIM setup.

CarPlay works wired with an iPhone. I use it on my 2021 Tri Glide. I use wired headsets, not WHIM.

I purchased the jumper below on eBay. Plug it in to the headset receptacle located on the dash (it must be this receptacle, not the one for the passenger in order for it to work properly).

Tricks CarPlay into thinking you have two-way communication operating should you care to ride without a helmet/headset.

Of course, if you do ride with the wired headset it works fine without the jumper.

The iPhone must be connected to the USB port located in the media cubby located on the right side of the fairing. It will not work wirelessly via Bluetooth.

Works great! The price earlier in 2022 was $55…now it’s $71. But it works, no need to disassemble the inner fairing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294204622254

Again, it will NOT work if you are using a WHIM setup.

Good morning Sir - Happy New Year.

I think there have been some changes to this - seems there were some disagreements between Apple & Harley. Now, I may be wrong but believe I read that the jumper was working however, if the dealer made some changes to your bike, it will no longer work.

What I have been reading/hearing is that Apple wants you to be wireless to make it work. Again, my android works fine. When the weather gets nicer, I will try to connect an Iphone - see what I get. This way, I can share a more reliable response from my side.

The real difference is between Carplay and AA - you don't need anything to run AA. And, you can run AA without any type of headset, just plug in and go. Like I said, I have a Cardo (not using a WHIM). When I plug my phone into the USB, my AA comes up and I can use the maps and everything else.

One day, hopefully, all of this stuff will get worked out. Funny how it works both ways carplay and AA in my vehicles. But, the vehicles are wireless.

Apple Car Play is moving to wireless from what I have learned. On my 2019 Audi I must have my iPhone connected by cable in order for Car Play to work. I saw that on the newer Audis Car Play could work wirelessly. I called my dealer to ask if there was an upgrade so mine could work wirelessly. The smartazz said 'sure just buy a new car.' Well that ain't happening.

But as far as I know on the Harley Boom Box for Car Play to work it must be connected by cable and there must be a headset present. I know for sure it was that way for the 2021 model year. The headset can be bypassed with the emulator or a dealer flash (if that is still available).

Apple Car Play is moving to wireless from what I have learned. On my 2019 Audi I must have my iPhone connected by cable in order for Car Play to work. I saw that on the newer Audis Car Play could work wirelessly. I called my dealer to ask if there was an upgrade so mine could work wirelessly. The smartazz said 'sure just buy a new car.' Well that ain't happening.

But as far as I know on the Harley Boom Box for Car Play to work it must be connected by cable and there must be a headset present. I know for sure it was that way for the 2021 model year. The headset can be bypassed with the emulator or a dealer flash (if that is still available).

HMmmmm I have always used the iphone "bluetooth" Truck or Trike since 2016. Only plug in on Trike if battery gets low. Tunes play either way

Thanks - the issue here is carplay. So, can you use that on your bike by way of bluetooth?

No, not natively. But there are some 'adapters' that purport to support wireless / bluetooth Car Play that will work with the Harley Boom Box. I've not tried them.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back