Cams for TriGlide

Some one on here was talking about the rear brake kit. I was at the HD shop today & the parts guy found out the kit is from Performance Machine. Cost is $2000.00 for everything.To rich for my blood! The front brake works just find in conjunction with the front. Not worht it. Just my opinion. By the way MSOCKO3,my pistons are 10:5/1. The heads are SE Ported & Polished.

You can do better on price of the PM stage 1 kit from other sources,

If you have a list of what all parts they installed you might see PN 16925-08, it would be interesting to see which ones they used if it isn't the CNC ported MVA heads. They advertise pistons at an average compression ratio, to achieve the advertised compression ratio you need to have the correct deck height, the correct combustion chamber volume and head gasket thickness. For instance the 120 I'm building right now has pistons advertised at 10.5:1.

My combustion chamber cc is 83, piston dome volume is -12 cc, the front piston is +.016 above the deck and the rear is +.014 above the deck. I'm using a .040 gasket, the cam I'm using has a 47 deg intake close. This calculates out to 10.22:1 static compression with a corrected compression of 9.11:1 and a ccp of 188.3 at seal level.

You are into calcalations more than me. I'm lucky to know how to turn on this computer. Don't know all that other crap. Can do carptenter calcalations if I'm lucky. Used to rebuild my own truck & car engines way back in the day. Rebuilt my 1988EVO on my softail. But with all the electronics now, I don't mess with too much. Can't teach an old dog new tricks.:Shrug: All I know is it will haul ass. No problem lifting the front-end up. They told me when I picked up the bike I should install wheelly bars.

When I was at the shop yesterday,the salesman were standing in front of the new blue trike. I love blue. Said if I won the lottery,I would buy the blue one. They said they would put in the 120" for me. That would be awsume. Are you building the 120" to put in a trike? Didn't mean to write a book.

You are into calcalations more than me. I'm lucky to know how to turn on this computer. Don't know all that other crap. Can do carptenter calcalations if I'm lucky. Used to rebuild my own truck & car engines way back in the day. Rebuilt my 1988EVO on my softail. But with all the electronics now, I don't mess with too much. Can't teach an old dog new tricks.:Shrug: All I know is it will haul ass. No problem lifting the front-end up. They told me when I picked up the bike I should install wheelly bars.

When I was at the shop yesterday,the salesman were standing in front of the new blue trike. I love blue. Said if I won the lottery,I would buy the blue one. They said they would put in the 120" for me. That would be awsume. Are you building the 120" to put in a trike? Didn't mean to write a book.

I've been building car engines and race car engines for years so calculations are a part of my life when building an engine, you'd love to see some of the calculations for figuring fuel flow and injector sizes vs blower boost when we would tune my brothers blown dragster. I'm building the 120 for my 2006 Ultra which is still 2 wheels, I could do the exact same build for the Triglide and have a sweet running trike if I wanted. The Triglide just has some cams, air cleaner and a Jackpot head pipe then tuned with the TTS. I decided I wouldn't crack into the top end of the trike until something broke.

I've been watching the crank shaft run out on the trike which was .005 at 10,000 miles, somewhere around the .008 - .010 area vibration will increase and the oil pump will die. When that happens I'm going to bolt in the SE 120R with a slight cam change. The 120R is a great bang for the bucks, I'd have bought that for the 06 if they would have released it before I had spent $1,000 on pistons and cylinders.

Here is a 120 film from my HD dealer...
Screamin' Eagle Harley-Davidson 120 c.i. Motor Install! - YouTube
The bike owner had them put it in '11 just like mine..

I'll bet they have some clutch slipping going on, looks like they left the stock clutch setup in there. The 120R or any stout 120 requires a clutch upgrade, I'm going to run a Energy One extra plate kit along with a Aim billet pressure plate, an Aim 480# spring and the VP92. Some folks are running the Barnett Scorpion with the lockup head on the 120R, others are running the Screamin Eagle racing clutch. Does your dealer have a trike Dyno?

They upgraded the clutch later I believe to the S.E. ,, and no they do not have a trike dyno.. when they get one,,, this year hopefully,, I will be the first one on it!. It took a long time to get that 120 running right without a dyno, but it runs right now. The guy that owns it is a hoot..going on a 3 month trip around the U.S. starting next month, pulling a trailer with his wife following on her Trike too.

years ago a builder said that replaceing the lifters every 20k miles was a good ides.
because if the lifters go you will shortly have damage to the cam; i hope they have
improved the lifters since then. i think that good aftermarket lifters are a better quality than OEM ones . just my opinion.

I have the 255 in my 103. Last year while riding to Denver it pinged like hell and got very Hot. When I got home I had it tuned again with the TTS tuner. It runs much better and the MPG came up but it still pings occasionally. Well see what happens on the way to Sturgis this year?? With the weight of my Trike, with me, and especially adding my wife, I don't think the 255 cams are the way to go. I spoke to Bobbi Woods the other day and asked him what CAMS he would recommend for my Trike. He said his best Torque CAMS are the TW 5-6. He also recommended that I stay with a chain drive version. I know M3 is happy with the TW555s.

Wish I knew what was best?? but for sure the 255s have to go.

I to have the tw-555 and am very happy with them. I also had the se-255 cams and was not happy with them at all. I'm now able use 88-89 octane with little trouble, most of the time I use 90 octane. Now that the gas is at $4.43 a gallon :AGGHH: here it will be a while before I see any thing above 90 octane.:mad:
I'm finding with the tw-555 cam I'm not having to shift as often as with the se-255 cams.
Butch

I to have the tw-555 and am very happy with them. I also had the se-255 cams and was not happy with them at all. I'm now able use 88-89 octane with little trouble, most of the time I use 90 octane. Now that the gas is at $4.43 a gallon :AGGHH: here it will be a while before I see any thing above 90 octane.:mad:
I'm finding with the tw-555 cam I'm not having to shift as often as with the se-255 cams.
Butch

I'm with you Butch, I like the TW-555 over the SE-255 cams. Mike

I have the 255 in my 103. Last year while riding to Denver it pinged like hell and got very Hot. When I got home I had it tuned again with the TTS tuner. It runs much better and the MPG came up but it still pings occasionally. Well see what happens on the way to Sturgis this year?? With the weight of my Trike, with me, and especially adding my wife, I don't think the 255 cams are the way to go. I spoke to Bobbi Woods the other day and asked him what CAMS he would recommend for my Trike. He said his best Torque CAMS are the TW 5-6. He also recommended that I stay with a chain drive version. I know M3 is happy with the TW555s.

Wish I knew what was best?? but for sure the 255s have to go.

The TW 5-6 would work and definitely stick with chain drive. When I was choosing a cam I was looking for a cam that would lower my CCP which would make it more tolerant of poor fuel quality. I choose the TW555 based on its later intake close 41 deg and Woods rep for making some decent power. I've been quite happy with the TW555 and it has performed exactly as I expected it to. Last year I was out west and ran a couple tanks of 89 octane with 10% ethanol and had no problems, can't do that with the SE255 without octane booster or pulling out some timing.

Some other cams that would work pretty good is the Wood TW 6-6, T-man 555 Torqster the T-man 555 and Head Quarters HQ-TC-500 or HQ-TC-525.

Spec are one thing but feedback from everyone using TW-555 can't be questioned, so one last question: Woods Performance has a new can the TW-777. The listing says it's like a Hot TW-555 on Steroids (whatever), If it was available when you all selected the 555, would you have gone with it??? Ride Safe!

Spec are one thing but feedback from everyone using TW-555 can't be questioned, so one last question: Woods Performance has a new can the TW-777. The listing says it's like a Hot TW-555 on Steroids (whatever), If it was available when you all selected the 555, would you have gone with it??? Ride Safe!

I would steer away from the 777, some folks are learning it needs a bit more compression or it is a little soft on the bottom end.

Thanks everyone for your input. I believe I'm going with the TW-5-6. I'm told by Bob Woods and others like Jami at Fuel Motto that its perfect for a Trike and pulls best through 4500 rpms. Since my Road Glide has 50K already, along with the Woods Lifters and upgrading the cam bearings I probably get new Chains as well. I leave for Sturgis in a couple weeks and there is the money issue, but I'll report my impressions when I can get it done. Ride Safe!!

2012 triglide. just installed the new se 103 stage 4 kit. the cams now are 259e. kuryakyn true duals. this bike became a monster, cams come on at 3gs. sounds like it acts. it already has a 30t front pulley. pulls strong in the mountains. great kit. dealer doesn`t have the trike dyno but got it close after a couple trial runs.

the pebbles heard is pinging. was able to almost clear up. a dyno run would top it off. it will raise front wheel and spin drive wheel.with burn out. more tests to come. getting close to lowered front slidder project. blkhrt

Ok my question is by doing the stage 4 or putting in something like the SE 120 how much does it affect your range?

If it is tuned properly the fuel mileage shouldn't suffer much. I have a 120 (Not R) in my 06 Ultra which gets 41 mpg when ridden sanely.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrArcade
Back