Brakes

vinnieD

10+ Posts
Nov 24, 2022
Paso Robles, CA USA
Just a quick question. I have an 06 goldwing with a Motor Trike conversion that was done about 14 years ago. It's a Spyder ( live axle, ladder bars etc.). I just bought it less than 2 weeks ago and it's currently at a local shop for Helibar installation.

My question is was it a normal practice for the brakes to be un-linked when doing this conversion? I ask this because the shop will need to bleed the front brakes after installing the helibars and I don't want there to be any confusion.

Thanks for any feedback.

Vinnie

PS The helibars are not the spacer type but a whole new set of bars.

It can be a bit confusing. The front brakes are tied into both front calipers. The rear brakes if not unlinked are also tied to both front calipers. But still kind of separate systems. The front brake handbrake are bled using the upper right bleeder and the lower left bleeder. Rear system tied to front would be the lower right bleeder and upper left bleeder. Now just to complicate a bit further, the handbrake when used in hard braking, will also activate rears via the secondary master cylinder which is mounted to rear of left fork but it utilizes the fluid in the rear braking system. I will add a diagram that might make more sense

Screenshot_20221130_005254_Brave.jpg

So I image the front brake bleed comes into play during helibar install to make sure no bubbles get into the brake lines when front brake master transferred over to new handlebars?

I hope this explaination makes sense...

This doesn't really answer your question but some companies delinked and some didn't.Also some companies came both ways depending on what year.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back