Beefed Up My Trike Motor

Re: Beefed Up My Trike Motor, Part 2

Kind of a redneck way of doing it but, you could turn it over until your on the heal of the cam and then use something along the lines of a paper clip to measure how deep your lifter is compressed. You'll need some way of measuring the paper clip once you mark it, dial calipers will work good. You can safely go .140 in the hole with the Woods directional lifters, if you know your not that deep you could try lengthening each push rod 1 flat at a time and seeing if it helps quiet it down some.

You know what's funny, is the video disk for Fuel Moto says to rotate the SAME pushrods in a 107 engine, 4 turns and 2 flats. Now, if the 107 engine is the same setup as my 88, then I guess I could try that amount. Probably should call Fuel Moto tomorrow to see what they think.

The back cylinder sounds fine, so I could leave those adjustments alone.

After scearching the net, I have come across the possibility that one of the lifters is bad. Could that be my problem? When I adjust them, I know they are holding pressure or spring or something, because they all behave the same when adjusting for the flats -- it takes the same force to turn the nuts.

After scearching the net, I have come across the possibility that one of the lifters is bad. Could that be my problem? When I adjust them, I know they are holding pressure or spring or something, because they all behave the same when adjusting for the flats -- it takes the same force to turn the nuts.

Without engine oil pressure, you are only pushing against a weak spring inside the lifter. You can't get to the lifter fast enough to catch them with oil pressure after you shut the engine down.:Trike1:

I had the same symptom only on the rear cylinder, sounded like a lifter not pumping up or push rod out of adjustment. I remember adjusting the push rods and noticing the intake push rod cover wobbling a little as I was adjusting for 0 slack and thinking I might have a bad push rod, it was just me. After running it for a while I decide to take another look at the push rods and found that I had 5 full turns and 2 flats on the rear intake push rod adjustment "senior moment" forgot how many turn I had done, the rest had the 4 full turns and 2 flats, I decided to change the adjustments on all four pushrods to 4 full turn 0 flats and add more later is need, so far the engine is running just fine now, I'm also using HQ's Black OPs lifters. Now all I need to do is learn how to lean out fuel adjustments to get some of gas mileage back. FUEL MOTO has it running a little rich.
Butch

You know what's funny, is the video disk for Fuel Moto says to rotate the SAME pushrods in a 107 engine, 4 turns and 2 flats. Now, if the 107 engine is the same setup as my 88, then I guess I could try that amount. Probably should call Fuel Moto tomorrow to see what they think.

The back cylinder sounds fine, so I could leave those adjustments alone.

The 107 is plenty close enough to your 88 to use the same adjustment procedure.

Anything is possible, I haven't bumped into anyone having a bad Woods Directional lifter yet. What cam did they send you in your kit?

Butch, ill try to figure out if I can send you the map I have been using on wifes 107". Ive got cruising AFR at 14.2, seems pretty good but I ran out of good weather to keep tweeking it.

*Beefed Up My Trike Motor, Part 3

Well, I am an idiot. Very stupid.

I noticed an oil leak coming from the front rocker cover, so I proceeded to take off the cover and look inside.

I FORGOT TO TIGHTEN THE ROCKER ARMS BOLTS AND THE BREATHER BOLTS!!! They were up in the air floating against the rocker cover, putting some real nice gouges in it. Some black smudgy residue around from all the grinding. I can only imagine what else was going on inside the engine (oil pump, cylinders, nerves). SO, I took it down to the head, and rebuilt it upwards, cleaning everything out real good. Used locktight and torqued them right. Also, took off the rear rocker cover to see if history repeats itself, and NO, it didn't.

This is what is known as a senior moment --- seems like I am having more and more of them and the norm is occasionally having a "normal moment."

I started it up and it sounds like a Harley now, without the nasty clanking sound.

Sigh... (at least I'm brave enough to admit what I did -- not sure that is anything to brag about.)

Re: *Beefed Up My Trike Motor, Part 3

Well, I am an idiot. Very stupid.

I noticed an oil leak coming from the front rocker cover, so I proceeded to take off the cover and look inside.

I FORGOT TO TIGHTEN THE ROCKER ARMS BOLTS AND THE BREATHER BOLTS!!! They were up in the air floating against the rocker cover, putting some real nice gouges in it. Some black smudgy residue around from all the grinding. I can only imagine what else was going on inside the engine (oil pump, cylinders, nerves). SO, I took it down to the head, and rebuilt it upwards, cleaning everything out real good. Used locktight and torqued them right. Also, took off the rear rocker cover to see if history repeats itself, and NO, it didn't.

This is what is known as a senior moment --- seems like I am having more and more of them and the norm is occasionally having a "normal moment."

I started it up and it sounds like a Harley now, without the nasty clanking sound.

Sigh... (at least I'm brave enough to admit what I did -- not sure that is anything to brag about.)

Don't feel bad, I've been doing that a lot my self, especially if I have company around when I'm working on something then I get distracted and forget my count or where I felt off on what I was working on :AGGHH: It happens to the best of them.
Butch

Smitty...You have my total respect for gettin' on here and exposing what the real issue was. You could have made something up... instead you chose to give some of us a good chuckle. Don't worry.. your little goof pales in comparison to some of the stupid things I have accomplished!!!...And I say good for you even attempting to do what you did to your motor. Would have been the shop for me.

Butch, ill try to figure out if I can send you the map I have been using on wifes 107". Ive got cruising AFR at 14.2, seems pretty good but I ran out of good weather to keep tweeking it.

That would be great. I like the looks of your AFR settings. I need to learn how to do that, I've been watching the vids Zippers has but I need to see more. This last gas mileage was at 26 mpg, would like to get it back up in the thirties again.
Weather here has turned sour also, light winds with temp's in the high twenties down to the lowest of around 2F. Although with kind of temps the roads do stay nice and dry. But starting tomorrow I have Grandpa duty again for the rest of the week, so have an excuse for not riding in the cold.
Butch

Thanks all for the support. And, Trent, I told the wife, "now I know why there are mechanics." I got to say that I still enjoyed doing the work, even after the screwup. Would I do it again? Probably not -- I'm out of money. Ha!

Like I said, I give props to anyone who gives it a try when it comes to major stuff. Sometimes it works for me, sometimes it dosn't. My Wife rolls her eyes at me when I tell her I am buying something and it is only X$ and I can install it myself!!, because I have the capability of turning the most mundane task into a major screw up.
Recently I put a new 103 insignia derby cover on my TG that should have taken 5 minutes. By the time I went to Lowes to buy an easy out kit to remove 2 stripped head screws, $36...back to the dealer to buy a different gasket that the sales guy didnt know I needed, $18...my $58 derby cover cost me 2 hours and over $100. Ha Ha! Part of the reason I have so much $$$ into my Trike is due to my own malfuntions.

Took it out for the first time post surgery today, right after warming it up, then changing the oil and filter. It sounds just like a fine oiled threshing machine, like a Harley should sound.

All is good with the world again.

How is the power now vs before major surgery?
Was your attempt to add more power successful?

Yes, I believe it is successful, but have been told to take it easy for 500 miles. Now have 100. I've goosed it a few short blasts, and definitely seems to have more power. The real test will be when I pull my camper into the wind. Wife says it sounds meaner at idle, and I agree. Pipes are the same.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back