Back from TN ride

Smitty901

400+ Posts
Mar 10, 2018
Lowell, WI
Name
Robert
It was a great ride. Yes we got wet. Well at least the rain gear did and the Rig did . We stayed dry.

We have decided to Trike the 2020RGL and pick up another RG to mount the sidecar back on. This should be an interesting project.

Trying to find a 2 day break so I can ride down and talk with Hannigan.

The reasons for this are many and wife and I are in complete agreement on it.

We were able get the visit in at Creation Museum on the way down. Worked out we had plenty of time to spend there.

20240521_075112.jpg

When are you going Smitty? I'll be there next week converting a BMW K1600 GTL trike and picking up a Harley Transformer conversion.

When are you going Smitty? I'll be there next week converting a BMW K1600 GTL trike and picking up a Harley Transformer conversion.

Looking to do it next week when do you plan to be down there ?

Visited Kool trikes today. Impressive. But they over ride ABS and RDRS. I still want to see how Hannigan deals with those 2 thing

I'll be there Monday through Wednesday or Thursday.
I will let you know soon as I figure out when I slip out of here.
I have a VFW function to be at all day Sunday. Looking at rolling out drive way early Monday .
Check in at Best Western get to Hannigan in the morning and ride back once I have all I need to give the go to building it.

Rabbit hole just got deeper. The Trike will sleep in the below ground bike room. Two problems, door is not wide enough and road leading is not wide enough.

That is what Tractors are for rip the road road out and widen it. The door will take some time but not that hard to do.

20240530_090852 (Copy).jpg20240530_090852 (Copy).jpg

Made motel reservation for Murray KY For Monday night. Tuesday ride to Hannigan and sit down at the table and go over options on equipment, time line and if all goes as I expect sign the contact to build it.

I must explain 12 stops. Every time I stop for gas counts as two. I never leave my bike parked at a pump. I fill up pay at pump get out of the way. Then shut it off to run inside.

Also today I stopped and flashed a different tune . Just experimenting . That is a two count for stops.
Did shut it down once in a traffic jam. It was clear we were not moving for awhile.
Sleep in tomorrow be at Hannigan's by 0830.

The trip down on Monday was a great ride. Road destruction this time if year is always going to be there.
It would be nice if IL spent some of the taxes they collect on fixing roads.

Tuesday morning we got started at Hannigan about 0815. Just went down the list of options. After a couple times, had it worked out.

I had a pretty good idea what was wanted and not wanted.

Spent some time in the shops getting questions answered. Most of that went as I expected.

Had a talk with the painter. To be honest I am leaving the graphics up to him.

Looked over a couple that were in the process of being built. Confirmed in my case the blacked out wheels where the best option.

By 1100 we had it all figured out, contract printed and signed.

Then needed to get home. No damage but rain had caused some flooding in the area. Not the worst we ever seen.

Road to bike room is usable now. Still need to widen door. That means cutting concrete . That can wait.

The rain and flooding we been getting has tested the drain tile that was put in.

20240606_164952[1].jpg

Lot to do getting ready for the trike. Pulled car tire wheel off yesterday. Reentered Serial number for the TPMS sensor on the Bike wheel.

Pulled stock header off, going to put the 2-1-2 on.

It almost hurts to see the bike sitting like this . But must be done.

The wiring harness that powered the sidecar needs to come off. That I will leave to Hannigan.
They installed it. The mods to brakes for sidecar same thing.
The reverse is being painted black. Base coat was done yesterday needs to sit 48 hours .

Thinking about installing my extended rear brake pedal. It lowers the angle of the pedal.

20240610_084549[1].jpg

Seems the VA found out about my Trike project. 0730 this morning I was being loaded into an MRI machine. With some kind of full head full face helmet on. Ear plugs and muff type hearing protection.

Then it started 55 minutes of MRI racket.
They must have thought I lost my mind and were looking for it.

Today decide if I want to install the extend brake pedal or not. Lowers angle of the HD rear break pedal. A great improvement on two wheels for slow speed control and comfort.

May install exhaust header.

I am being ask by some . Why did you not just buy the TRI Glide.
Research and what I have seen was the reason.

I stop in Hannigan's when ever in the area. Seems I noticed a lot of new and old Tri Glides there being fixed. Poor ride and handling issues.

The old idea that HD dealerships were every were on the road was a big selling point.
With so many being shut down and more to come that is not the way it is anymore.

As for those that are left they could careless if you are broken down on the road. Many will not even help accessing a tow.

More research kept pulling me away from TRI Glide. A Demo ride sealed it. Ride never went over 50. It was done on prefect roads. Ride was meant to cover up short comings.

I was not going to pay $43K for a Trike I would have to spent thousands on to fix.
And still have a solid axle Trike. With 4 to maybe 5 cu feet storage

The electric reverse is a known break down item and costly to repair. The Motor Trike reverse I has has been on two sidecar rigs and never failed.

Last was the Bat wing faring. That alone would have been a deal breaker for me, so once again I decided to go out side the box with the Hannigan.

Got the belt thing straightened out. On the newer bikes they do use your belt. Either 138 or 140 they prefer the 140.

My bike will have about 40K on by time it gets to Hannigan. My way of thinking is just go ahead and replace belt and front sprocket now get it over with. The do not reuse the rear because the get rid of the Crush drive.

If it only had 10K on the bike I would not mess with it. No reason to leave something that has used up half its life. Also most of the 40K has been with a sidecar and they are harder on belts.

Yesterday was nothing but rain. And few other things to do. Hope to get back to working on the RGL today.

Want to repaint heat shields. Needs to wash the bike after riding in a rain storm Thursday.
Should have taken the car but just felt like riding.

New S&S Grand National mufflers came . They will just stay in the box and get hauled down to Hannigan's.

Times goes by fast Drop off day is AUG 4th. Plan to get it there a few days early.
Repainting exhaust heat shields has has not been going well. Ordered new ones but may not get here in time. May get the repaint done again today.
Also removing any non factory lighting I have on the bike so it it is out of Hannigan's way.

Yes the bike room is a mess. It has been used to store other stuff for a while.

The 2020 is not new so a lot of clean up is need to get it ready. That is almost done.

20240717_175919[1].jpg20240717_164550[1].jpg

Heat shields were showing some wear. HD could not get me a new set here in time.

I have repainted Heat shields with good results in the past. Of course this time I decided to use an even "better paint" Ceramic VHT. Flat black with a semi gloss clear coat .

Lot of work and few set backs but here it is.

20240721_163958[1].jpg
20240721_164101[1].jpg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhammons
Back