Anyone else?

Santa is bringing me red paint.....With all the trimmings.

Metallic silver

Clear

Semi translucent hyper red

Translucent pearl red

High solids clear top coat

And all the thinners and hardeners/activators.

Forward progressThumbUp

Assuming you're going for the Lexus red shown?

Something you've likely already considered: with "staged" paintjobs it might it turn out to be a challenge to match IF it gets a scratch, etc.?

Yes it supposed to be a close match to that Lexus red. But it is not the exact same. A different process and an extra layer of pearl.

I should have left over paints but you are correct....it will be a custom color that will be difficult if not impossible to match.

But then again.....That might just be the point of it all.....lol

It was a hard decision to make.....again.

When I first started thinking of color red was a prominent thought. But the thoughts eventually lead back to the long standing favorite....blue.

Sometimes wish I had not had the time to reconsider.

So now I am going to try something new to me....never had arrest me red before.

Tryed the paint on some test metal panels.

I am not very skilled at laying down paint. I have a lot to learn or need some help.

But

The paint is way to dark. Not the right color at all.

Now to figure out what to do.

maybe, the pearl does the "lightening" ????

If so, how much to use???

Only thing I'm sure of.....is wear a good mask......lots of wicked looking stuff there:xzqxz:

good color, and good luck!

This is not a production/factory made paint like DuPont.

It is a small custom paint place. So I have called them and they are working with me. They see that something is wrong. Personally I think that the one gallon recipe was put in a quart can.

It will take a couple weeks to sort out. Besides it is cold anyway this week. It will be back warm and time to work with the paints soon.

I have been mixing and trying different shades of red.

Still have not found the right one for me.

Painting test panels.

15155529725020.jpg

It got cold here. Unusual. It has been several years since we had a winter. So I just have not done much of anything the past few weeks.

I got a can of candy red.

15164935299130.jpg

Started putting the dual springs on.

I got one head off and the dual springs on.

Changed the push rod tubes for the crush type instead of the o ring type. I had leaks...

15164927924080.jpg

15164105641830.jpg

Almost time to change the oil.

It has been run in and once I change out all the springs I will give it one more warm up cycle to wash anything down.

Next up is the 5w20 dino oil and some driving.

After broken in will be 5w20 synthetic.

All with the zddp additive in it for flat tappets.

15164947108561.jpg

15164105995342.jpg

Don't do this with your vw.

I built specifically for this oil.

Tight clearances and big pump.

So once broken in I hope to be able to run this.

But will have to add the zddp with every oil change.

15164948097412.jpg

well, you talked about build offs at the beginning of this thread....this trike is in my opinion, of exceptional design and workmanship....so give it a paint job to match! it should be a show stopper!

Well it is odd but probably not exceptional.

A lot of things could be a lot different and make it more comfortable, dependable, fuel efficient and even safer. So it is far from being the best engineered vehicle. That is what is so great about the conversion trikes sold by the advertisers here.....they are all that.

This is my hot rod toy. Is what I want just for me. It is cool to look at and admire like a show car but is as impractical as can be.

And the paint is as you say...

I was about to just slap some bright red on and call it done. But I was talked out of it for the same as you say. I have gone this far so might as well/should go for something special with paint also.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back