Another Reverse Motor Question

TonkaDriver

450+ Posts
Feb 26, 2018
Bagdad, AZ, USA
My reverse motor took a crap. I live 100 miles from the nearest rebuilder and they say it could take a week to get the rebuild done. Once I remove the motor, What do I need to do to be able to ride while I wait for the rebuild?

Thanks in advance.

Kurt

Read several post on the Harley-Davidson forum indicating what to do is you were going to ride while the motor is being repaired. All indicated you just tape off the power leads and zip tie them out of the way. So that being said "guess you can ride with it off".

Had never thought about this but a good thought. I don't use mine that much. Pushed a sidecar for 4-5 years so I always park my trike as I would the hack....easy exit without using reverse. HD wants a redicious price for those things. My guy right here in town wants &85.00 to rebuild if the armature isn't burnt up.

8~\o

Kurt, if it was me I would tape off the electrical lead and tie it up out of the way

I dunno if pushing the reverse breaker to attempt the reset will kill the power to the starter( reverse motor)?

My reverse motor took a crap. I live 100 miles from the nearest rebuilder and they say it could take a week to get the rebuild done. Once I remove the motor, What do I need to do to be able to ride while I wait for the rebuild?

Thanks in advance.

Kurt

I rode many times with the motor out.....Like previously said tape off the leads ,,,,

And you are good to go......Just remember to park where you can pull forward ...

Correction, reverse motor I guess I should have been more specific

I will shut up now:p

Thats ok......A lot of people confuse the reverse Motor [On the Harleys with a Starter.]

The reverse Motor is a Hi- torque slow spinning motor... The one on my 2011 Tri was made by Hitachi ...I got very intimate with it' Until i went mechanical and that ended my affair with it......:D...

Thats ok......A lot of people confuse the reverse Motor [On the Harleys with a Starter.]

The reverse Motor is a Hi- torque slow spinning motor... The one on my 2011 Tri was made by Hitachi ...I got very intimate with it' Until i went mechanical and that ended my affair with it......:D...

I am NOT confused It is in fact a modified gear reduction stater type motor

That said I have turned wrenches ALL my life, I do all my own rebuilding including starter type motors and Alternators

I have a growler ( tests armatures), an armature lathe and a starter/ alternator test stand that checks for amp and volt load( checks diodes/ triodes)

That said I do know what I am talking about some of the time

This conversation pisses me off so much I am thru with this Forum

• Thanks
Reactions: MDO

That said I have turned wrenches ALL my life, I do all my own rebuilding including starter type motors and Alternators

I have a growler ( tests armatures), an armature lathe and a starter/ alternator test stand that checks for amp and volt load( checks diodes/ triodes)

I sure hope you stay, I have used your knowledge many times and you add very much to this forum. I appreciate having access to all the good solid information you share.

Kurt

I truly hope you mean this thread, not Trike Talk. I have learned so many things from you and I know if I have a question or can't find a part you will have the answer and/or a link to the part.

Well I have been working on electronics for a long time, and there is one thing I do know from past experience....... once I see something is made by Hitachi I get ready for the worst. And as soon as I saw someone say theirs was made by Hitachi that explained a ton.

anything I have ran across that is Hitachi brand is crap and needs to be replaced. I’m taking DVD drives, electronic components, and whatever else. Complete crap.

not sure if they all were made by Hitachi

end rant here

Relax to all Jack is just going to take a break. something to remember by all posters, It is very hard to understand what you might mean when you post something. What you might post in jest might be interpreted as a slight by the receiver. So think before you hit that enter button. "THINK" "Am I clear in what I am saying?" If you are clear and are being confrontational then be prepared for the repercussions. We are a user friendly site.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back